• Forum membership has its advantages....

Troubles in Laughlin ??

mgobaja

Why does it seem that the Problems at Laughlin grow each year ? I've been going to the Laughlin race for the last 5 or 6 years and have seen numerous changes made , few being better for the racers. 1st they cut the loop from 60 miles to less than 20, and with that they split the schedule up. 2nd they eliminated the spectators from the road crossing ( good for the crews that had a reason to be there ).
3rd they eliminated Crews from the road crossings and severly lessened the areas for spectators.
So now they have coralled the spectators unwilling to pay for the bleacher seats , They are now on the sand hill behind the infield. Along with that came the " GLAMIS " groupies. They are the ones with little or no regard for authority and no concern for the consequences for there actions. If they continue to act the way they did last year at Laughlin we might end with a GESTAPO style of policing by the BLM. They all need to grow up and act like adults wether they are or not. Does anybody remember them causing all the grief with the female BLM officer last year. After that it would not surprise me if they triple the amount of officers on site this year.

frankh

Maybe with the lower car count they should combine some of the classes and run more laps. a good one would be combine 10 and lites and run 8 laps.

mgobaja

That was another thing they did for this year was split up the classes even more to try and make the racing last all day long. You could accomplish the same thing with runnings more laps with combined classes.

mgobaja

I also wonder how many miles we are going to be racing next year ? Or will it just be the infield ?

martininsocal

you know-it would be real cool, but i think it would be the death blow to this race, not because i think the bikers would cause problems, they should run at all th eraces, but because i think there would be too many of them! i think you would have tons of folks out. it would be like a gran prix race for them...
now that should get the mind rolling...

If your gonna go, go BIG

jimpat

unluckily, this type of racing may be all that will be left. It would be so sad for the kids growing up now and never
having been to a long off road race.. All types of racing have kept young kids too busy to take drugs, but the government and big business and the hated sierra club are making sure that off roaders have no land left to roam around and with lots of free time..... kids get in trouble. Look at all the illegal drag racing going on. The kids have no place to go but the street, and they get in terrible accidents, and the state officials blame the kids, not the real culprits: the land developers.....

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

Flea

WELL SAID. If I did not have my truck and motorcycle I don't know what I would do...prolly have a dodge charger and stomp all the front wheel drive drag racing rice rockets.

GOD BLESS AMERICA! and hopefully my poor truck too.

MikeLeung

Hey Jim...Blame the land developers?? I think your anger is misplaced. I myself work for a land developer, and if you look at the amount of racers that are in the construction industry you would realize that developers and builders are not to blame. Home builders like ourselfs have the same enemies as desert racing has. Seirra Club, Southwest Center for Biodiversity, BLM, and Game and Fish have all tried to stop development and close our deserts. Developers fight the same battles as racerrs do in trying to keep the deserts open. In fact developers pump millions of dollars into political campains and lobby groups every year to continue this fight. Jim you shouldn't be blaming developers, you should be joining forces with to fight the tree huggers and keep our deserts open.

Waldo

Safehouse
I agree with Mike...land developers are not to blame for the dumb asses who drag race down residential or commercial streets. Those people have been drag racing down city streets for many generations well before my time. The people drag racing out of control in an open city street are the idiots. They don't want to spend the money to race at LACR or other local strips that have open racing available to the public.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

jimpat

by developers i did not mean the actual house fabricators. To think of a developer as
a constructor of buildings is a
misnomer.
I remember Lyons Drags when M Thompson was the director: it was closed by
the value of the land for other uses.
Ontario speedway.. same thing
Riverside speedway... same thing...
Banning drags. the pilots bitched because they used the runway.. caused it to be
closed
We need housing but also free land..... Temecula, Murrietta, French Valley and
soon here in Romoland...... thousands of
home planned, no new highways or schools... that is the greed of the developers,
the carpenters only work for them and are
not at fault, and do not get the majority of the profits.
We are the working fools and the people behind the desk get rich.
That is the truth.... and they could care less, because after they f..k up one zone,
they move on to the next one and leave
behind the traffic nightmare that Temecula, Murrietta and other similar areas are.
I am against Sierra, tree huggers, and such dogooders... but also realize that some times they have a valid argument. Some people just go wild and follow the Gold, not caring about what they distroy.

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

AllwaysRcn

To BajaWaldo's post-Not to mention stupid ass movies like "The Fast and The Furious" that just glorify an already "problem" area on our streets. There are local Dragstrips. You just need to look for them. We tow our "Buggies" to the desert to race- and tow our Drag cars to the dragstrips to race. PERIOD. not that hard. Do it Legal. Do it SAFE. I used to street race too just like alot of others. Only it was in early Chevelles and early Novas. NOT Wind up, Rice burnin, MegaPhone, add NOS and go kill somebody, Nissonda cars. (Sorry had too vent a little). The place to race aint on the street.

martininsocal

the real culprit? i'll tell you who the real culprit is, its the folks who keep moving here! the state is only so big and there are only so many resources to provide for those here. water, air, land, etc...are all dwindling fast! riverside county used to be a place you went to to ride on open land, no longer! it is illegal to ride on open land unless you either own it or have a written permission slip from the owner stating you can ride on it! there is not one public open riding area in the county now touting itself as the supercross capitol of the world. more and more land is turned into houses, and the people moving there don't want the things that were there first, like dirt bike riders, airports, or cows! jim-buildout for your neighborhood is 22,000 homes, a regional shopping mall, 2 elementary schools more. a junior high, a high school, and not one improvement to hiway 74! close the damn borders, make people have jobs lined up before they get here, and force developers to have all the infrastructure in place and guaranteed before they can turn the ground.

just look at barstow-noone wants to move there because there is no work, but the area to ride at stoddard sure got smaller when the outlet center went in. i remember when races started on the road infront of the chevron station! what about drag racing out of the college parking lot to run the dump hills? can't be done now, too many houses in the way! even the folks that own out by slash x ranch are trying to stop ohv use near the area. stop the influx of people and the pressures on the land left will decrease significantly.

If your gonna go, go BIG

MikeLeung

Martin and Jim...you guys are like many people who live in areas that get developed. They feel that they were there first and that not one else should be moving into those areas. I understand where you're coming from. But the fact of the matter is that people are goin to move to these areas for the same reason that you moved into the area...beacause its location. Unfortunely people have to have a place to live, and developers, and home builders....devoleop these lands and build houses on them. They have that right as land owners...the same right that you have to build a tool shed on you property. Your concern about inferstructure is a vaild one...it is a common problem thoughout the United States. But roads, schools, fire, police, etc...are the resposiblitly of government. Your tax dollars, sales and property should be going to pay for those.

My concern is with public land...did you know that the US gov is the largest land owner in the western United States. I mean they own close to 80 percent of all the land. Yet they shut down areas for public use. Thats where we need to direct your efforts to keep land open.

martininsocal

mike- the issue is not with property owners rights. i live where i live because it is designated as rural. there areas here that are zoned r-1 20. that means 1 dwelling on a 20 acre parcel. what sucks is that large developers come in, buy that 20 acre parcel, then stuff a bunch of money in a lobbiests pocket to go dole out to politicians so they can change that zoning ordinance, then they take that 20 acres and cut it into as many 7200 square foot lots as possible and build tract homes on them. i am all for property rights, but they shouldn't be at the requests of the big buck developers. it is no different than the econazis wanting to change land use designation in the desert from open or limited use to limited and non-motorized use, just the other direction. we keep allowing more and more people to come to california from mostly other countries, check the statistics. i am not racist, but i do care about the quality of living and wish to live the american dream. many of the folks who have transplanted here wish tolive the american dollar and retain their foreign ways. i deal with it at work all the time, if i had a buck for every trash pile fire i went to and was told they should be able to burn trash like they do in (insert country here) i would be driving a trophy truck! the fact is these lands wouldn't developed at such alarming rates if there were some controls to keep the population under control. more people mean a need for more housing, yet none of the new folks want to live in the city, so we just keep suburban sprawl going until we run out of open space in that area, then we just spread it somewhere else. take l.a.county to orange county to riverside and san bernardino counties to las vegas, to henderson... see a pattern?
you should have every right to do on your property what you want to do if it doesn't adversely affect your neighbor or thier property. land developers are very greedy in those regards. even at wemo meetings, the special interest group of developers is represented and their attitude is lose the desert to ohv use as long as we can continue to develop around v-ville/adelanto and hesperia. sounds like they are watching for the good of the whole, not just themselves, huh? why not take what we have and make it work instead of wrecking something and moving onto another place? i know the area where jim lives, it was very rural 10 years ago. people paid to live in that rural area because that is what they wanted to live in. now that rural area is being developed into a buch of 5000 square foot lots with lots of money going into board of sups political funds. every week another change in zoning is requested from r-1 2.5 to high density residential so developers can continue to make money and stuff people tightly into areas and make the most bang for the buck. if it keeps up, there will be no open land for anything.
as for i got mine and no one else should be able to get theirs, i do have mine, i paid for it. i used to look across the street at national forest with trees, coyotes and burros. now i look across the street at a new elementary school, deal made in a land swap that i had no say in. i am not against schools or kids, have 2 of my own, but i didn't buy after the school was built and asked them to close the school like what occurs all teh time now with the urban sprawl that goes on. no more dairies in norco/chino, small airports being sued for closure because they make too much noise now that houses are built around them, offroad parks being turned into another loser shopping mall(r.i.p. rir) and people racing on the streets like it was before when there were no race tracks to go to.
spread the wealth, build up some other places, california doesn't have the water for all the people here now.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Dave_G

Re: Banning drags. the pilots bitched because they used the runway.. caused it to be
closed

Jim,
Airports are for airplanes and air traffic. Not dragsters. At Rialto airport where I keep my airplane hangared the taxiway is used for drags and they make a mess out of the paving. The runways and taxiways were not designed for that type of hard use. I can understand why the pilots bitched. Nobody wants to hit a chuck hole with their airplanes nose wheel and have a prop strike and engine teardown. The FAA is also not happy about racing on the airports because of the K rail and structures set up by the racers like at Rialto. It causes a serious hazard to night operations as well as instrument approaches in low weather and I can relate to that. They are taking a hard look at the racing at Rialto.

Best,
Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

AllwaysRcn

Dave G-what kind of mess are they making to the "paving" at Rialto? Just curious.. How fast of a car (on an 1/8th mile dragstrip) would it take to damage the pavement.