• Forum membership has its advantages....

TRUCK OR BAJA?

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I AM LOOKING TO BUILD SOMETHING TO RACE. WHAT WOULD BE BETTER A TRUCK OR BAJA BUG? MAYBE I CAN GET SOME HELP WITH THIS. THANX

vwguy

baja is so much cheaper but there is a drawback you cant fabricate as many parts as you can on a truck everything has to be precise where on a truck it is much easier and yuo build the both out of different materials
its alright to race baja first then move to a truck

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

frankh

It is more of a personal feeling thing. You need to try and ride in both. You can fab as much as you what on a baja. But some times it is easier to just buy it. If you are at then next mdr race stop by if I get my 5 car together in time I will give you a short ride. If not maybe I can talk seely into it. Try them both make a choice then go have fun.

scott

Trucks are better to look at, but they are more expensive. Baja's are cheaper, but are more limited on what you can do... Budget wise Baja....

rdc

In baja we like the truckes muy bueno! ARRIBA ARRIBA !

rdc

Hey dude, A truck is cool if really have alot and I mean alot of help and cash you got to burn! A Baja Bug is a fun class parts are avielable at Kar-tek, Nevada buggys, McKenzies and people know them when they see your race car........and they have to ask what is it.......OH it's a sprotmens class! Hey my kid and I are having blast with our two Baja's One's a short course and the other is a DESERT vehicle. But which ever way you go "Don't give UP" Race IT! SCORE, SNORE, MDR OR WHERE EVERY Just Race it! Have some fun!
Art "The TECH DUDE" Savedra

I think that the best bang for the buck is a buggy. Look at the average race speeds in the past for different classes. Compare that to the cost of a new or used vehicle for that class and then make your decisions from there! Don't get me wrong.... Trucks are cool, I am just looking at speed vs cost.

desertratt

i have built both. the 5 car was much easier and it wasn't as hard on the pocket book. but the truck was a blast to drive. it all depends on your preferance. start small then grow ito some thing bigger.

get on the gas or get out of my way!!

Boston Mangler

I am thinking of this too.

I want to get into racing, but dont have all that much $ but i got a bunch of time and and some 1/2 decent fab skills.

I was thinking of building a bug/prerunner and racing in the sportsmen class due to low funds and just going out and having a good time. I could build it slowly and drive it on the street as i build it!

What are you guys thoughts on this?

What are the actual rules for a sportsmen buggy? Score rulebook isnt too clear!

Thanks for the input!

coolcruiserfj40

Boston Mangler said:
I am thinking of this too.

I want to get into racing, but dont have all that much $ but i got a bunch of time and and some 1/2 decent fab skills.

I was thinking of building a bug/prerunner and racing in the sportsmen class due to low funds and just going out and having a good time. I could build it slowly and drive it on the street as i build it!

What are you guys thoughts on this?

What are the actual rules for a sportsmen buggy? Score rulebook isnt too clear!

Thanks for the input!
just put some coiovers and bypasses on your 80 ;)

Erik Irvine

I did exactly what some of you are talking about. I bought a baja, dumped a bunch of $$$ into it, and race sportsman class in Mojave Desert Racing. There is a point where a baja or buggy costs will catch up to the trucks, but unless you have $$$ to burn, go BUGGY. Best bang for the buck!

Attachments

Boston Mangler

67BAJA said:
I did exactly what some of you are talking about. I bought a baja, dumped a bunch of $$$ into it, and race sportsman class in Mojave Desert Racing. There is a point where a baja or buggy costs will catch up to the trucks, but unless you have $$$ to burn, go BUGGY. Best bang for the buck!
Cool, thanks for the positive reply, glad to see i am not the only one with this idea!

How much $ would you ballpark that you put into it? Did you run a beam in the front? Build something custom? IRS? transmission? Motor?

What are the "Rules" for the sportsmen class? Are they the same from Score to MDR and Such?

EOR1488

Truck truck truck, it is amazing I have driven a 5-1600 a 10 and my 8 truck. Go with the truck. Plus the chicks dig the trucks.

wrightracing.net

Boston Mangler said:
Yeah, Excellent Idea! :D

Anyone see a 7000lb SUV Get Airborn?

80 Series Landcruiser + Air = Ulgy Result! :D :D
SUV's at least my bronco is great in the air and it is so much more comfortable and more powerful that some tin can on wheels. After breaking my Buggy many times and putting tones of money into it, I converted to the Bronco and it is a little more money but you got to pay to play with the big boys.
My Bronco is still a work in progress, but it is Fun.:eek:

fashionbiff

Look at Jeep Speed too run stock 1750 and you can drive it to work or school during the week. Just saw a cherokee in the trader for 400 bucks with a rod knock, leave the wood grain and really mess with people at octillo. Good luck