• Forum membership has its advantages....

Trucks and Buggies Race in Flagstaff Arizona

AZ7000'

scottm

Dust will not be a problem, but large immovable trees can be..

G0010049.JPG

TJ_Gambino

Museum fire story notes trails and campgrounds in the area have been closed. Does this include the cinders area?

Charlietuna

Museum fire story notes trails and campgrounds in the area have been closed. Does this include the cinders area?
Right now, the fire is about 5 miles southwest of the Cinders area. They are trying to direct it towards the west some more, hoping it will burn out as it goes down the mountain, but they are also expecting winds today/tonight, so it's a crapshoot. I'm sure the race organizers are in constant contact with the powers that be and will make a decision shortly.

/daughter lives in Flagstaff and her neighborhood has been placed on an "Evacuation Ready" notice, meaning have the car gassed up, and be ready to leave ASAP, if ordered.

TJ_Gambino

Fire doesn't seem to be a problem based on the current pictures posted.

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 7.03.42 AM.png

AZ7000'

Fire doesn't seem to be a problem based on the current pictures posted.

Bringing in 100++ racers when we are cautioned to not use cell towers and a good deal of the city is on "ready" or "set" and some on "go" precautions and now an emergency flood warning along the west of 89 and your quoted statement are not on the same page.

I hope the organizers respect the current drain on resources here in Flag and make the correct decision, much to change in the next few days. A racer injury or fire would suck for those teams trying to save homes people live in... Additionally Coconino County has declared a state of Emergency.

Remember it is a hobby sport, no one is going to loose millions in sponsorship. It is a business for AZOP but the USFS Level one incident team is fighting to save forest and homes with the highest priority in the country.

Weather Service warns of flooding threat east of Buffalo Park

The Latest: Flagstaff's Museum Fire top priority fire in the country

Coconino County, AZ

Last edited:

AZFR8TRAIN

I don’t think this race would be canceled but there are so many others all on same weekend. Pretty easy to find another event. Maybe snore/more ,azop, outlaw, vorra racing need to look at Calender talk to each other. And plan different weekends maybe get more entries. At each event. Just my two cents. Hopefully this race happens. That means fire is controlled. Which is what matters here. Charlietuna. I’m also in flagstaff. Have flat bed trailer hooked to truck. Already as we had other friends on stand by. If your daughter needs help if evacuated. Let me know.

CMA GUMBY

Local Phoenix news just showed how a thunderstorm "put out" the museum fire? I am sure there is still a lot of activity in the area.

Bro_Gill

There has been spotty rain all around the area. Had some rain south of Williams Monday, saw the Museum fire as we drove south from Bedrock. Rained in Prescott last night. Lightning and rain south of the 40 all the way to Seligman Tuesday night. Fwiw, they hsve enough fire history in the San Francisco range to know where and when they will wrangle this one in.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
I seriously doubt this fire will impact the race much, except for turnout, maybe.

It remains miles away, monsoon has started.

BigBlue&Goldie

The good news is the fire wasn't an issue. In 2 days I only saw one fire support truck on the highway between the I40 and the Cinders. I used to see more than that every day of the week when there were no active fires.

The bad news is this was the worst run race I've ever attended. We had racers in 3 classes (ATV, Bike, UTV) and every race was an absolute cluster. I'm no race promoter, but if you're going to have kids run a parade lap to see the course, don't change the course without running another lap. I'm pretty sure there are kids that are still trying to find their way back on course. Also, it's really disheartening to listen to calls for medical go unanswered because the volunteer course workers aren't given radios. I was talking to one volunteer sweeper who even had a dad try to fight him on course because he was so pissed off how things were being handled!

I've also never seen a race referee verbally confirm course cutting and missing check points is a viable means of winning their race. That one had about 20 of us stumped. I guess when its your race, you can determine the winners? I feel really bad for one kid (no relation to me) who had an incredible race, just to have the rug pulled out from underneath him. Listening to a grown ass adult explain to a kid how he lost, even though he never got passed (with full video proof) is hard to listen to. I personally feel like AZOP owes that kid a major apology, but it's none of my business.

Let me help your race official (per page 6 of your rules):
https://www.azopracing.com/media/docs/2019_azop_utv_rules-min.pdf
"10.Course Cutting-Cheating-Immediate disqualification."

The lack of attendance at these races is indicative of how poorly they are run.

scottm

I'm sorry to hear that. In my experience azop are well run, better than Snore events.