Truggy Concept (looking for contructive criticism)

dwjet2

Hi guys i am working on a 2wd truggy for the dunes/desert fun. This is my first venture into solid works and chassis design. I have the drawn up the frame how i want it look, but i just got a cad model of the engine and trans i will be using for the project and now i am at a road block on where to go from here. I am not sure where to position the motor and transmission for ease of istallation/removeal and optimium performance.

Tom

dwjet2

I will also be using a Ls1 engine for this, I couldnt find a 3d cad of the ls1 so i am making do with the sbc 350. wheel base is right around 125-130 inch. over all width is 73 inches.

Would i be better off to widen the chassis so there is more room in the cockpit? what about length of the cockpit should i make it longer to make room for the motor/ transmission so it can just be dropped out of the bottom of the car.

remember this is never going to be raced, it just for the dunes, desert play car.

TIA

Tom

partybarge_pilot

As it sits right now the top of that cage is a death trap. You need a few things like triangulation and common tube intersections.

dwjet2

I agree it still needs more triangulation and support tubes, as well as the rest of chassis. I only have time to work this a couple hours a day, so i shifted my priorties to the suspension and engine mock up as that will be the hardest thing for me to do. I am still learning solid works.

Thanks for the advice, Any more suggestions?

Tom

dwjet2

I am not worried about the triangulation of the roof and side cages right now thats the easy part. I am trying to figure out how to make the engine/trans fit in there nicely. I have a couple idea's but they involve changing the chassis around some. I will post up pics once i have made the changes.

Thanks
Tom

skippy

First thing that came to mind, when viewing the rendering was "Stenger Built".Not saying that there is anything wrong with them, just that the chassis layout is very similiar. if I was designing something for myself, I would want it to be like no other,just my thoughts.Other than that looking good!

dwjet2

Skippy- I have never heard of them till you brought it up so i googled them and your right it does look similar to there truggys, i must have seen a pic of one of there truggys before when i was stectching the side profile. At any rate i have decided to make some changes to the chassis, mainly in the front where the motor is going to placed, and i have some new ideals for the rear portion as well so that may change as well.

Thanks for all comments, keep them coming i am always trying to improve my design.
As it stands this is verision 3.0 and i will be starting on ver. 4.0 tonight which will hopefully make the motor easier to install/remove as well as give more in cab space.

Tom

Rock56

hey can you send me the motor and trans ? i could not find them

Ozzie M

I see these drawings alot what program is this and is it one that cost like 10gs haha thanks

RL Detroit

I will also be using a Ls1 engine for this, I couldnt find a 3d cad of the ls1 so i am making do with the sbc 350. wheel base is right around 125-130 inch. over all width is 73 inches.

Would i be better off to widen the chassis so there is more room in the cockpit? what about length of the cockpit should i make it longer to make room for the motor/ transmission so it can just be dropped out of the bottom of the car.

remember this is never going to be raced, it just for the dunes, desert play car.

TIA

Tom
Tom,

Could you send me the cad model of the 350? It would help me out.

RL Detroit

First thing that came to mind, when viewing the rendering was "Stenger Built".Not saying that there is anything wrong with them, just that the chassis layout is very similiar. if I was designing something for myself, I would want it to be like no other,just my thoughts.Other than that looking good!
Um.......... I don't agree with that. In all reality it should look like someone else’s car because that way you know yore're heading in the correct direction. You never want to re-invent the wheel

RL Detroit

Hi guys i am working on a 2wd truggy for the dunes/desert fun. This is my first venture into solid works and chassis design. I have the drawn up the frame how i want it look, but i just got a cad model of the engine and trans i will be using for the project and now i am at a road block on where to go from here. I am not sure where to position the motor and transmission for ease of istallation/removeal and optimium performance.

Tom

What material are you going with?

wrightracing.net

Like the others said x bracing but the layout of the cage would fold in a heartbeat if you landed on your lid. The roof is not supportrd properly. Just my 2 cents and a opinion is like a fat, some stick and some don't. Ha ha

dwjet2

RL Detroit- I will will most likely be using 1.75"O.D 1.5" I.D DOM tube for the main frame, and probally the same O.D but bigger I.d tube for all the crossbraces.

wrightracing.net- I know the cage needs more triangulation and support. I was mainly posting to get some ideas about how mount the motor/transmission. But aside from neededing more support and triangulation of the cage what do you see that can be improve on?

RocketMan

You can save me time ,and you a crap load of time and money and buy my rotary powered truggy that is about 98% done....

wrightracing.net

RL Detroit- I will will most likely be using 1.75"O.D 1.5" I.D DOM tube for the main frame, and probally the same O.D but bigger I.d tube for all the crossbraces.

wrightracing.net- I know the cage needs more triangulation and support. I was mainly posting to get some ideas about how mount the motor/transmission. But aside from neededing more support and triangulation of the cage what do you see that can be improve on?
OK, Well the location of the motor is fine. If money is an issue go with 2" .120 DOM or if you cam afford 4130 then use 1.75 .120. Next is the main cage, the rear kickers should continue down as one piece to distribute the load. Also the rear points of the pan where the four link lower arms meet the pan should be boxed in. With a frame of this type the upper 4 link arms become a issue. The rear cross bracing behind the seats tends to want to be in the same place as the upper link which causes the bars to hit. A friend of mine just did a tube chassis for a class 7 unlimited and he bent the cross brace around the upper link bars down to the lower piviot points and plated it. This gave it streight instead of just doing streight accross which leaves a weak point at the lower link piviots.

Again just my 2 cents. I plan to do a 4 seat truggy in the next couple of years. I am working on a Class 3 Bronco and Hope to have it up and running by the end of the summer.

dwjet2

Wrightracing.net- I appreciated your imput, and will look into the thing you have brought up and address them as needed. I can see your point on the top cage and will be re-working that area now to help distribute the load. you wouldnt happen to have a pic of what your talking about on your friends class 7 tube chassis for the upper links as i am having a hard time visualizing what your saying there. Thanks for your imput.

rocketman- shoot me some pics and a price, i might be interested in it. email is posted above.

Thanks
Tom