TRUSSING A 9" REAR END...............

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
TRUSSING A 9\" REAR END...............

i want to pick some brains as to the proper ways to gussett up a 9" axle housing. the housing is completely empty of all parts. ive head a few different ways and each person says that their way works. im going to do the truss across the back of the housing with a bent piece of tubing going from snout to snout across the back of the pumpkin, and then plated top and bottom of the tube to the housing. some say to have the housing pre-bent towards the front cus it will pull back when you weld it. and some say you dont need to do that of you just start welding from the center out a few inches at a time letting it cool down in between 6 inch beads. gimme some input please. thanks

Crayfish

Reaction
Re: TRUSSING A 9\" REAR END...............

I used 1-1/2 x .095 chromoly snout to snout. The last truss didn't go all the way to the snouts and when I rolled the truck the tube bent at the end of the the truss. I made a fixture consisting of a large steel I-beam with flanges welded perpindicular to it. The flanges had holes that bolt to the axle tube flanges. I made them long enough to raise the axle tubes 4" from the I-beam. I used a hydraulic bottle jack with a block of wood on top to go inside the housing. I took measurements and preloaded the housing 3/8" so after welding it would warp back straight. I welded 6" or so at a time evenly across the back allowing it to cool after each couple of segments.
I probably spent three hours welding it because I didn't want it to warp. I don't know if all of this was necessary but it came out pretty damn straight.

Good luck

Crayfish

JasonHutter

Reaction

Here is how we trussed our 9". We welded only about an inch at a time in three spots on the axle as to not heat it up. It came out real straight but took a lot of hours in welding.

Here is the best picture I have of the back of it.

Jason

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction

Here is the front of it.

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction

A close up of the front. Note all the rock hits to it.

JasonHutter

Reaction

You can see we also put a 1/4" thick steel skid plate that bolts onto the bottom of the third member. We have put some serious dents in it also.

singlehanded

Reaction

is that as far out as you welded to the leaf mounts? Did you take it any where to be straightened????

JasonHutter

Reaction

That is correct. We only went as far as the leaf mounts, and we did not take it anywhere to get it straightened. We welded very little at a time and the housing didn't warp at all. It took us a few days to finish the project and was very boring, but it has worked for us for over 3 seasons of racing around or over a 1000 miles a year with no problems at all. It has a nodular iron housing, light weight spool, Datona pinion support in the 3rd member with Currie's 31 spline shafts, and Wilwood Superlight disk brakes.

Jason

I can't say that what we did is the right way for everyone, but that's what we did with ours!

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction

Here are a few other ideas. This is Jasons explorer.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction

here is a Ranger rear end.

Bonzen

Reaction

Does anyone think that it would be a better idea to weld to the axle housing when it's full of gear oil? I would think that all the fluid inside would help keep the heat down thus preventing alot or any warpage. I'm going to be doing this soon to a T-100 axle housing. Yeah I know buy a 9" well I'm not made of $$ plus we are keepin the toyota electric locker so it needs to be a yota rear end.

-Ryan

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction

If your having gears and other work done to the housing and are woried about warpage just weld it in sections. If it looks warped the builder can cut off your ends and weld on some new ones,especially if you want to put large bearings in. I'm sure its easier to weld on new ends, then tryingto preload or trying to bend back a welded housing.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction

Just for note you can buy a CNC truss for the 9" in summit or jeg's, it is a perfect fit, cheaper, and a lot less hassle than making it yourself.

Ryan B

Reaction

you can also get pre-made trusses for the back from comp engeneering.

rokker

Reaction

I trussed my 9" myself - the housings doesnt LOOK warped, Ive heard you can take it to Currie to get it straigtened if it is warped for like $40 bucks or something - Q is: Can I tell by looking at the housing if it is warped and/or will my axles still be able to fit in the housing if it is warped?

jeff

Reaction

If you've got good eyes you can tell if it's warped or bent. Assuming everything is out of the rear end you can check it by placing a piece of thin white paper flush across one of the tubes and shining a flashlight through the paper toward the opposite end of the housing. You can do it by yourself, just stack stuff up to hold the flashlight in the right position. Grease will hold the paper to the tube end too. When you look inside from the other (open) end (and try to look down the center) you should see a perfect circle. If you see a an oval or a crescent shape (half moon style) you probably have a bent tube, a tweaked center section, or both. I didn't really think it'd work until I did it on my old piece of crap 10-bolt I had in my S10. Sure enough, did the test and it looked bent to my eye... took it to a shop and they said it was bent. I junked the 10-bolt and put a 9" in it.

Aloha