• Forum membership has its advantages....

Truth in advertising

Bro_Gill

This is a cool car. but the ad may be misleading.

1972 Funco Single Seater
The car is prepped and ready to run. Car was original raced by Ivan Stewart and Bobby Farro
2180 VW Motor
90" wheelbase
1200 lb

I believe this was actually the car Coke Little used to race. See, years ago, Ivan was looking for this car and could not find it, so he bought one that was raced by a longtime northern Baja resident that was of the correct vintage and unmolested so he could have a replica of the car he and Bobby Ferro raced to many wins back in the day. That car was completed and was eventually sold, I believe to Glen Harris a few years ago. Unless the original car has been found and was restored and no one knew about it, this is not the car that Ivan and Bobby raced back then. I know it may be knit picky, but down the road, things like this become important to folks who buy them. If someone made a copy of the Ivan Stewart PPI 001 Toyota as close as possible and tried to sell it as the one Ivan raced, and then Rory actually restored the original PPI 001 chassis to spec, are they both worth the same value? This stuff matters in the world of historic and vintage racers.

toddz

Interesting item, Martin. I'll be curious how this plays out. As someone who's been fighting the good fight in terms of vehicle pedigree for a number of years now, I can relate.

Todd Z.

Rory

Crayola Killer
This is a cool car. but the ad may be misleading.

1972 Funco Single Seater
The car is prepped and ready to run. Car was original raced by Ivan Stewart and Bobby Farro
2180 VW Motor
90" wheelbase
1200 lb

I believe this was actually the car Coke Little used to race. See, years ago, Ivan was looking for this car and could not find it, so he bought one that was raced by a longtime northern Baja resident that was of the correct vintage and unmolested so he could have a replica of the car he and Bobby Ferro raced to many wins back in the day. That car was completed and was eventually sold, I believe to Glen Harris a few years ago. Unless the original car has been found and was restored and no one knew about it, this is not the car that Ivan and Bobby raced back then. I know it may be knit picky, but down the road, things like this become important to folks who buy them. If someone made a copy of the Ivan Stewart PPI 001 Toyota as close as possible and tried to sell it as the one Ivan raced, and then Rory actually restored the original PPI 001 chassis to spec, are they both worth the same value? This stuff matters in the world of historic and vintage racers.
I was at the Ivan Stewart auction and remember hearing that same story about the car. Ivan had his yellow 2 seat Chenowth for sale also but I think the 2 seater was original. Glenn Harris is the owner of the Funco SSI and I don't think he is selling it under false pretenses. Maybe the guy who put up the ad didn't realize this wasn't the original racer. Like Martin said, it is a beautiful car and restored to near perfection. It might not have been raced by Ivan but at least he did have it restored and owned it.

We've been talking about it for a while now but maybe it's time to start putting together an Off Road registry for these vehicles.

toddz

So this is the car that Ivan sold at the auction?

I was just looking through my photos from the auction and noted I had taken some of Ivan's car.

Todd Z.

Bro_Gill

Stewart never raced that car and it was never a Modern Motors car. I can give a little information about how crazy this stuff can get. My ex-step-father-in-law (aren't divorces/remarriages/etc... great?) owned a historic race car. It was the last one of 6 or 7, can't remember, that existed. Problem was, it was not documented as such and someone else made a replica of this same type of car and started touting as the one and only, even after the original builder/race team owner confirmed it was not one of the original cars. That car brought some big money at auction and a couple buyers later. the truth finally came out and it became a not so great investment for someone. In the end, actual history really does matter to the folks who buy these things. Coke Little was featured in HVWs back in the 1970s and described who he was, what he did, etc... Imagine what a great tough SOB that guy was to be racing that car at 70 years old in Baja. That same car was again shown in HVWs many years later, only now turned into a replica of the Modern Motors car that Ivan and Bobby had raced to many wins 40 years earlier. I don't remember all the details from the article, but I do know that the story about how Ivan had looked for the original car, couldn't find it, and settled for a replica through this chassis. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and more power to him for preserving the vision of what raced back then. But when it comes time to sell something, saying it was driven by Stewart and Ferro to many wins back in the day and it isn't that car is like saying you were the first person to solo and win the Baja 1000 (even when you weren't and then start adding qualifiers as to why you are so special). Authenticity matters to many folks out there. Rory, how's that copy of Ivan's first Toyota coming?

LantanaTX

Since Glenn Harris and Bobby Ferro are racing the Baja 1000 with me this year, I am in frequent contact with both of them. As busy as Glenn is, I can assure you he did not place the ad. I am sure he just told one of his guys to sell it. It almost raced the Mint this year, but a medical emergency caused them to pull out of the starting line. As a replica it is probably one of the most significant replica's ever, since it does have racing history with Coke Little, was owned by Ivan Stewart (and Glenn Harris), and was driven by Bobby Ferro and Glenn Harris (testing for the Mint 400). Someone should buy it and start adding to its history by winning the Baja 1000, Mint 400 and the NORRA Mexican 1000 and be a part of vintage racing history.

An interesting story Ferro told me was that in 1976 his sponsor, Mike Slatter, owner of Commander Motorhomes approached him about teaming up with Ivan Stewart for the '76 Baja 500. Bobby said that at this time, Ivan wasn't a superstar yet and was mostly "screwing around in two seat cars" which weren't competitive with class 1. Bobby thought he was a good driver and agreed to give Ivan a shot. They went on to overall the '76 Baja 500 and that win (and car) played a huge role in launching Ivan's career to a new level. This may be why Ivan wanted to find the original car and when he couldn't went to all the trouble of replicating it.

bajavwracer

I can say for a fact that the car is Definitely Coke Little's old car and in no way the one Bobby Ferro and Ivan Stewart ran back in the day. You are right gill, Ivan did look for the original and could not find it, So he bought this car. Interestingly not from a Northern Baja resident but from Coke Little Himself out in Ocotillo Wells (alive and well at the time over 100!) My dad did the restoration job on this car. i have pictures of it from before the restoration.

Last edited: