Trx bilsteins….?

Fifty

RDC Crypto
Ok… wife went from wanting a powerwagon to telling me to order a trx… found them at $5k off msrp…

Now I’d prefer a raptor just due to the support etc… but she pays the bills.

I’ve been hearing that the rear shock tuning is iffy if you tend to be spirited…

My opinion on shock tuning is:
-I can’t do it… it’s voodoo magic and I’m dumb
-what works for you doesn’t work for me
-different use requires different tuning.

That being said, I want to have my ducks in a row if we take this thing out and the suspension needs help. I went down that path with the zr2 and the Multimatics. The multimatics sadly just suck 6 ways to Sunday and there was nothing that can be done.

So I’m curious if the bilsteins valving can be massaged to play better if need be. And sadly they have the Funky electronics so I’d need a fooler if I wanted to remove them and replace with something else if they are not tunable or capable of the weight and more use.

That’s it, unless someone has some info they have to mention…

Dezertpilot

RDC Crypto
I doubt you can tune them, probably have to run traditional shocks if you want to do that.

Fifty

RDC Crypto
Thats what I thought but I was hoping that like the sxs live valving fox (I think) and then all the raptor shocks... they could be tuned....

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
I took a close look at the TRX when I was shopping for a new truck.

There is a wheel position sensor on each wheel. That input goes to the computer to change the valveing. Similar to what you had on the corvette. You'd have to find someone who's broke the code, or go to Bilstien and see if they can help with the valving.
But you may want to drive it first and see if they got it right. I havent driven one.
5K under MSRP is a steal right now. Most all dealers are doing over MSRP.
best deal I could find was MSRP. I didnt want to pay that much.
So I ordered a 2021 75th anniversary edition Power Wagon like I wanted it. Got it for about 30K less than a similar equipped TRX.
TRX is on a 1500 frame but has the new cab design. Little bigger in back and no center hump. 5.7 bed.
PW is still the old cab and 6.4bed on a 2500 frame.
But the suspension is softer than the other 2500s.
TRX is basically full time AWD. PW is 2wd or 4wd. PW has a electronic detachable sway bar for off roading. Locking front and rear diffs, and a 12K lb warn winch mounted on front. All factory stock.
I havent had the chance to go do any off roading with it yet. But it soaks up the dips in my street that my F250 couldnt handle.
I did swap the 33" Goodyear's for some 35" BFGs though.

Fifty

RDC Crypto
Yea.

We were about to buy a PW and the dealer started to play games and promised stuff he couldn’t put in writing.

So the missus ordered a trx… I have a feeling there is some medical stuff she isn’t telling me lol.

But seriously, the trx cab, the back seats recline, but more so have a metric crap ton of space. That’s huge because one of our kids is still in a rear facing baby seat. My suburban still needs the front seat scooted forward to accommodate and I’m not tall.

The cab on the trx is like somewhere between a mega cab and a normal crew cab. That is huge in our book.

The dealer we ordered from also sold raptors. They didn’t have quite as good of a deal and he said that the 37 inch package trucks are 12 months out on ordering.

He also said you don’t get the same travel numbers on a 37 inch package as the stock package.

Last, I got to see a real trx in person but only pics of the new raptor. I heard the raptor dash computer is fast and the trx dash computer was slow… but apparently the 2022 has all new hardware and it’s supposed to be fixed.
I also just didn’t like the ford interior as much. Sounds silly but the trx Tesla and merc interior design looks cooler to me. And it’s rattle approved lol.

Tbh, if the power wagon was offered in the 6.2l s/c or the big diesel we would have gone that route. I would have pushed for it. But dodge just couldn’t figure out the whole intercooler or heat exchanger vs winch issue.

Lastly, I really hope someone figure out the trx front diff and puts a lsd up there…
Tazer figured out rwd so that’s good!

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
It's more than a Intercooler issue on the PW. The big issue is the suspension. The diesel weights a lot more than the 6.4 hemi. So it would ride like crap, like the tremor diesel does.

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
2 of my buddies have 1500 RAMs. Yea, their interior is a little bigger than mine. And I like the reclining seats, wish mine had them.
The 2500s should get the new cab in 23 or 24.
The Uconnect 5 is in the 22s. Mine doesn't seem all that slow except on the off road page.

BajaCharlie

RDC Crypto
I took a close look at the TRX when I was shopping for a new truck.

There is a wheel position sensor on each wheel. That input goes to the computer to change the valveing. Similar to what you had on the corvette. You'd have to find someone who's broke the code, or go to Bilstien and see if they can help with the valving.
But you may want to drive it first and see if they got it right. I havent driven one.
5K under MSRP is a steal right now. Most all dealers are doing over MSRP.
best deal I could find was MSRP. I didnt want to pay that much.
So I ordered a 2021 75th anniversary edition Power Wagon like I wanted it. Got it for about 30K less than a similar equipped TRX.
TRX is on a 1500 frame but has the new cab design. Little bigger in back and no center hump. 5.7 bed.
PW is still the old cab and 6.4bed on a 2500 frame.
But the suspension is softer than the other 2500s.
TRX is basically full time AWD. PW is 2wd or 4wd. PW has a electronic detachable sway bar for off roading. Locking front and rear diffs, and a 12K lb warn winch mounted on front. All factory stock.
I havent had the chance to go do any off roading with it yet. But it soaks up the dips in my street that my F250 couldnt handle.
I did swap the 33" Goodyear's for some 35" BFGs though.

The real question is?????? Did it ride as well as your Blazer?????

Cheers Baja Charlie ( Joe Lane’s buddy)

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto

Hey Charlie.

Well so far, I'd say its somewhere between my Blazer and your wheelchair off road. 😁
I havent jumped it yet, or hit the big dips around here that I'd hit hard in the Blazer. But I'm about ready to try soon

Dezertpilot

RDC Crypto
It's more than a Intercooler issue on the PW. The big issue is the suspension. The diesel weights a lot more than the 6.4 hemi. So it would ride like crap, like the tremor diesel does.
You are wrong, I have a diesel Tremor and it's a 350, rides pretty decent for stock. I came from a 2019 Raptor with suspension work as well. The Tremor rides a lot nicer than I was thinking it was going to ride. Will be even better when I put a Carli Dominator kit on it.

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
There is a comparison video on youtube where they take a stock 21Power wagon and a stock 21 Tremor diesel. They test them both on and off road. Only thing the tremor beat the Power Wagon at was towing, which make since, diesel vs 6.4L.

My 21 Power Wagon actually rides better and has a nicer interior than my 2015 Genesis luxury sedan. Even better than my 2001 F250 with the v10, which of course it should.

Carli makes a few kits for the PW as well. ;)

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto

Hey Charlie, So I've been hitting the dips in the streets around me at some higher speeds like I did in my Blazer. The PW soaks them up really nice. I was surprised. My F250 would have hit hard and bounced me around.

Can't wait to get it to Baja and get some off road seat time in it. I know it's not a TRX or Raptor, or even my K5, but should still be fun and comfortable.

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
You are wrong, I have a diesel Tremor and it's a 350, rides pretty decent for stock. I came from a 2019 Raptor with suspension work as well. The Tremor rides a lot nicer than I was thinking it was going to ride. Will be even better when I put a Carli Dominator kit on it.
Have you ridden in the new Power Wagon? You should try it, you might be surprised at the ride comfort. ;)

Dezertpilot

RDC Crypto
Have you ridden in the new Power Wagon? You should try it, you might be surprised at the ride comfort. ;)
I'm sure it's more comfortable than my Tremor, the suspension is probably a lot more compliant. It was either a Raptor or PowerWagon a few years ago and I got a Raptor.

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
Yea, it surprised me as to how comfortable a ride it is. It fits my needs. I don't tow much, or heavy, so it will work for me. At least I know I CAN tow 10K if need be.

Fifty

RDC Crypto
Bilsteins said they are probably going to make upgrades for the shocks but after the material shortage stops hurting them…

Fifty

RDC Crypto
Quick question for all of you “in the know” people.

Isn’t there someone from bilstein in this group? You can pm me if you don’t want to out the info.

I took a little drive in someone else’s trx. (Ram is using a bingo machine to decide which vins to make, so mine could be made tomorrow or end of January )
And Yes… I’m comparing it to a set of tuned ads 2.5 coilovers and 3” 5 tube bypasses….

But… if bilstein is going to make a bolt in and plug in upgrade… I’d jump on that immediately. And I’d start saving up the allowance money so I could.