TT#1 "thats racing" *%#@! TT250

Bridges

Senior Replay
Reaction
After an outstanding "pole position" win on Thursday CHM was staged to capture a much needed win on Saturday.

Unfortunately the much hated "that's racing" phrase"ology" came into play in a BIG way...

Running out front and setting a pace that was fast approaching a VICTORY, CHM encountered a stalled / broken (7212) truck sitting smack dab in the middle of the course at full speed while passing a lapped truck.

"We were dodging and weaving stated co-driver Igor to get by the lapped truck when we saw an opportunity to go around him on the left as he faded right (clean air allowed him to see the 7212 truck) and then BAM! IMMEDIATELY the TT#1 IMPACTED at speed the 7212 right rear corner with the TT#1 left front.

2.5 mins later after popping the TT#1 free from (7212) which still lay in the center of the course TT#1 now began a slow turn to the right to drive around the crippled vehicle when with tremendous impact, a seriously violent 60mph + impact occurred from the rear as the #31 AM TT drove through the dust and into the back right corner of the now severely damaged TT#1 driving it once again up and into the (7212) truck.

Now the all three vehicles were stopped and mostly stuck with the Huffman TT#1 suffering from a pierced fuel cell, broken right rear shock, broken track rod, bent bars, and right rear flat including a severely crippled rear end.
Now the reality had come home to the incident. Both TT drivers had been running at break neck speed and leading the pack setting the pace when this occurrence happened so adrenaline was running high on all levels. Mostly IMPORTANT, nobody was seriously injured in what could have been a deadly accident to all involved.

While co-driver Igor changed out the rear tire and evaluated the total damage the reality of the "day ending" double crash set in. Whelchel was steaming at the stranded and unattended (7) car driver while Andy stepped out shaken up beside the #31. His car had suffered a complete removal of all nerf, bumper, lighting and hood along with bending the front chassis down tubes. (photos to follow)

Now 10 minutes later AM was able to get underway while CHM TT#1 stayed for another 20 minutes to assist the (7212) by pulling it out and off the course so as to remove the danger for other drivers.

It was the strangest of occurrences and the most disappointing. At exactly RM6 TT#1 dropped off the IRC tracking as it climbed up into the canyon as was noted on both the first and second laps. This was the same instance that allowed the #7212 to be "invisible" to the CHM team monitoring the race by laptop back in the pits which resulted in the impact. (both trucks were invisible to the tracking satellite where they sat) Only TT#31 was visible and showing "0" MPH at the time of the accident. With #31 pitted just across from TT#1 a crew member came over within 1 minute of the incidence to "apologize" for the impact on behalf of AM and team #31. It was only at that time did TEAM CHM know what happened... Both Jerry and co-driver Igor were pretty shaken up and not speaking on the radio.

***It is in the opinion of Team CHM that it would have been greatly beneficial to all parties involved in this very dangerous incident that the driver of the #7212 had done PROPER diligence by walking back course to FLAG and WARN drivers along with placing PROPER warning elements on the course instead of standing and watching it happen.

No fear though, the TT#1 will be back and ready for RACING action coming in the V2R epilogue.
Thank you to all who called in and emailed to check the safety of the drivers. We very much appreciate it!

TEAM CHM / TT#1

Attachments

Last edited:

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
Sorry to hear about your teams misfortune. Andy & Hovey were runnin the best times...but it was just another day @ the races.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I'm sorry for all the parties involved......This is a very tough situation.

I'm grateful that there were no major physical injuries.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
If the 7 truck had the time and it was safe I personally think he should have gone up the road to safely wave passing vehicles by. But I wasn't there so I can't really comment more.

Race8100

Reaction
Anyone know what MM this was at?

Regardless of the vehicle, isn't this why we are all required to carry red safety triangles?

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
I'm sure Larry (Richard Blunks co-driver/sponsor) will give there side of the story. I don't know what happened but everyone should wait till both sides of the story are told before they start pointing fingers. Also, I think that homebuilt truck won the Henderson race last December.

Bridges

Senior Replay
Reaction
I'm sure Larry (Richard Blunks co-driver/sponsor) will give there side of the story. I don't know what happened but everyone should wait till both sides of the story are told before they start pointing fingers. Also, I think that homebuilt truck won the Henderson race last December.
ROGER THAT...
congrats on the win in Henderson

cl10racer

Reaction
I am glad to hear that all parties are ok. We were watching the IRC in the pits also.

Your right about the driver or rider walking back to worn other vehicles about the broke down truck, it could have saved a lot of carnage. When my 10 car broke just after the finish split at parker, I left my co-dog there to point others away from the car.
I guess what I’m leading up to is your question of “should a home built (7) truck be running with the UNLIMITEDS?” I don’t know what that has to do with anything here. If the driver is naive on what is supposed to happen, it does not matter what he is in.
:confused:

Joser1726

Reaction
wowsers.... that sucks, sorry to hear about this incident but I am glad everyone is ok!

Matt D

Boy Toy
Reaction
I am glad to hear that all parties are ok. We were watching the IRC in the pits also.

Your right about the driver or rider walking back to worn other vehicles about the broke down truck, it could have saved a lot of carnage. When my 10 car broke just after the finish split at parker, I left my co-dog there to point others away from the car.
I guess what I’m leading up to is your question of “should a home built (7) truck be running with the UNLIMITEDS?” I don’t know what that has to do with anything here. If the driver is naive on what is supposed to happen, it does not matter what he is in.
:confused:
I agree I believe a limited "home built" truck would be fine out there with the unlimiteds AS LONG as they are smart racers and watch the mirrors, be very wary and practice proper safety techniques.... just my .02

Is there on-board of the footage of the indecent? I know CHM always has great video of the races.

MX808

Reaction
There was this exact situation durning the first race except as far as i know no one collided with the broken vehicle. On our second lap at about mile 8 we saw a driver walking back through the desert. However about a mile later his passenger was standing before the turn with a huge orange flag showing the line to take around his rhino which was right in the middle of the course missing a wheel.

In this case had that been done the accident might have been avoidable. What about the orange triangle that we're mandated to carry to pass tech? Was that on the corner before? But in the dust that might not have been visable.

Sorry to hear about the accident but a least everyone invovled is ok and the trucks that took the damage will race again.

Sheaco

Reaction
Rory,
I understand what you are getting at, BUT the only suitable response is " Yes we had All of our Safety measures deployed" and "Yes my co dawg or driver was directing traffic".

I have First hand Knowledge: 2008 V2R class1 car, we broke/got stuck while changing a flat. After MANY!! hours (6) a course worker truck Broke while pulling us out on the only suitable terrain ie the track. Now we have Our car the course worker truck and the other course worker truck all broke. My driver and I had no water for that time and suffering from Exhaustion and Heat exhaustion from trying repeatedly to get unstuck. I got my tired Arse out of the car and schlepped up course to warn any and ALL racers of the Danger ahead. The entire time we were on course.!!

Why? Because it's my duty as Co Driver ( Car first then Driver then Other Racers and Finally Myself). In my eye's there is no Excuse for leaving your post.

All in All: we got the flat at 3:00'ish and We didn't get the car on the trailer tell 12:00am which was only 8 miles away. my two cents

Oh ya, The "HomeBuilt" Comment was BS! CHM. There would be no TT's or Off-Road Racing as we know it if it wasn't for the Home Builders.

trailready

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Yes, it would be interesting to see both Jerry's and Andy's incar footage, I'll post ours as soon as i get it. Ours will show the exact timing of the impacts, dust, etc.
Rich was driving and doesn't post on here, but his story is that 7212's R&P seized so hard and suddenly there was no time to move the truck over. the course in that point of the wash has about 50' of "on course" width and even more safe run off than that although you'd be in vegitation. It seized hard enough that the driveline bent into a big 60 degree arch. AJ immediatly got out and took the triangles back down the wash and and ready to flag traffic while rich got under the truck to assess the damage. he was starting to replace the DL in hopes of moving the truck off course, if he could make it move. his story is that when the lapped #50 TT approched he suspended his work on the 7212 and got off the course, AJ waved the #50 to the right side of the course. the #1 was in the dust of the 50 and wasn't able to see the 7212 until too late. Rich says the time between impact of #1 till #31 hit is 10 seconds but i haven't see the video yet. i assume aj was on the left side of the course as it's a left turn where all this occured( don't know what way the wind if any was moving the dust). i'm told after a short heated exchange (adrenilin) between Jerry and Rich, all parties went to work seperating the three trucks and trying to get #1 and #31 moving again. Jerry was willing to pull 7212 off the course before limping #1 out.
Rich is sick about the awesome battle between #1 and #31 ending at the back of our truck but is certain he and AJ did all they could safty do to warn traffic givin the conditions. Racing hard in heavy dust is what it is. We're not pointing any fingers, we've been their too, taking chances and hoping for the best. At Henderson, it was the #40 chasing the #31 when it didn't see the rolled jeep speed in the course in the dust of #31. Best part of the story is everyone walked away to race again.
here's a few pics of the "home built" 7212. again, i'm recounting the story as told to me on saturday night by Rich. will post the video soon. We wish both the #31 and #1 the best in their championship battle.

Attachments

Sheaco

Reaction
Trailready,
Sound like everybody was doing what they should be doing. It's a case of Shift happens. Nice truck by the way.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
AJ immediatly got out and took the triangles back down the wash and and ready to flag traffic while rich got under the truck to assess the damage. he was starting to replace the DL in hopes of moving the truck off course, if he could make it move. his story is that when the lapped #50 TT approched he suspended his work on the 7212 and got off the course, AJ waved the #50 to the right side of the course. the #1 was in the dust of the 50 and wasn't able to see the 7212 until too late. Rich says the time between impact of #1 till #31 hit is 10 seconds but i haven't see the video yet.
Sounds like 7212 was being responsible like they should of been by flagging traffic.

Would also be interesting to see CHM incar since they said it was about 2.5 mins between them hitting 7212 and getting hit by Andy, and Rich said it was about 10 seconds. If it was 2.5 mins Andy would of reached them in clean air, unless it was around a blind corner?

trailready

ADVERTISER
Reaction
I noted the time difference too, I'm not positive on where the "10 seconds" but that's what i remember Rich telling me. i'll post the vid as soon as i get it.
Larry

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
just my .02, Andy was 1 min faster / lap = to Hovey

Bridges

Senior Replay
Reaction
Oh ya, The "HomeBuilt" Comment was BS! CHM. There would be no TT's or Off-Road Racing as we know it if it wasn't for the Home Builders.[/QUOTE]

***I appologize about the "homebuilt" comment. Totally off color and uncalled for..I'm just totally fried from the weekends happenings and then running to the TORC for the last two days practice... blah blah.. entirely lame on my part. sorry to all the dedicated "home builders" that this sport was born on the backs of. You guys make it happen!

Peace out!