TT 250 UTV race stories

Desert Toyz

Reaction
Congrats to the 1932 Holts Team, but any team that wins and no shows at the awards without and valid excuse is subject to a whisle dick award!

HHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the Best UTV race for me since Vegas to Reno!
seven weeks ago I got a phone call from a guy named Mike Cook. He said he had never raced before and want to start. He had bought a 2009 Polaris RZR S and asked me if I could build his UTV in time to race at the TT 250. I took a deep breath and said sure. He dropped the UTV off 6 weeks before the race and I was not able to start on it untill 4 weeks before the race. Myself and my helper Matt aka "Buttons" worked every day and completed rollcage on monday the 13th. I dropped it off at noon to my good friend Matt Tomb at Tomb Enterprises. He created an awsome aluminum body and gave it back to me tuesday night at 8:30 pm. While the RZR was at Tomb Enterprises I built a new engine for my Rhino. When I picked it up Matt said are you really going to try complete this RZR in time for TT 250 I said "sure". We started wednesday morning at 5 am assembling the RZR. I went to Foddrills Fab shop to make my firewall and floor and they bet that there was no way that the RZR would be ready in time. Myself, Buttons, and Team Razors edge ( Mike, Bill, and Joe) gang banged the RZR till 2am Wednesday. We started again Thursday at 5am at loaded the RZR on the trailer at 4am with only the electrical and GPS left to do. We slept for 2 hours and hit the rode for Primm. We arrived in Primm at 2:30pm. All the UTV's were lined up ready for tech. After teching the UTV's. It was off to the drivers meeting. Then back to the Desert Toyz pit to finish the RZR. Finally at 3am we were done. We slept for another 2 hours and got up at 5am to race. Team Razors Edge 1912 started in the second row in 3rd. Desert Toyz Team Rhino started way in the back in the second to last row. Off the line we gave the green Jagged built fiberglass RZR a good drag race but they just squeezed by us at the fence. The dust was unreal. I felt like I was driving with my eyes closed! We quickly caught Matt Peers in his red Rhino 1936. The navgator waved at us but then they jackrabbited on me. I chased them down again and gave them a little nudge in the rear. They quickly pulled over and let me by. We then caught our new team mates 1912. I did every thing I could to pass them but couldn't get by. We both passed several jeepspeed vehicles. Finally at mile 40 I found a fast smooth line on the left and sailed by the 1912. I thought with clean air I would check out on the 1912 but he stayed about 1 mile behind me. Pretty impressive for a rookie! About mile 60 our right front tire went flat. We stopped to change it and the 1912 passed us back also the Sportsman UTV 1954 went by. We quickly finished the tire change and raced to the finish. I called on the radio to the 1912 and asked Mike if he would stop and let me go around him so I could get the 2 extra points. He said sure and stopped 2 miles from the finish. When 1912 stopped the RZR stalled and would not restart. I told them that I would push him the the finish and then go around. What a great ending to the race. I pushed him all the way thru the Lucas Oil track. The specators and media really enjoyed it too. 2 corners from the finish I slipped off the rear bumper of the 1912 and my right front got stuck in the RZR's driver rear. We were stuck together. We tryed to backup but we had no reverse! I think the shift linkage came loose. I jumped out and so did Bill the RZR navigator. We tryed several times to push my Rhino back but couldn't move it. 2 course workers came over and we finally seperated us. We pushed towards the finish line and dove around the 1912 to finish 3rd!!!!!!!!! What a great day.
Against all odds again We were able to get 2 UTV's to the race and finish 3rd an 4th!! Thank you to my wife for a great job navigating me through the brutal dust. Thank you to all the UTV teams that came out and raced.
Thank you to my sponsors; Maxxis Tires, Elka Shocks, OMF Wheels, Black Rhino, Web Cam, PWR Radiotors, Ride-On Tire sealent and balancer, Utv Off Road Magazine, VP Fuels, Desert Hand Therpy, PCI Radios, Desert Toyz and of course Yamaha.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Mark lives in Washington state and was on an airplane during awards. :)

Another win for Polaris!

We had a great weekend except for waiting for 4 1/2 hours for the tech guy to show up. I was fried from the sun. Maybe he should get the whistle dick award. :D

Congrats to the 1932 Holts Team, but any team that wins and no shows at the awards without and valid excuse is subject to a whisle dick award!

HHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the Best UTV race for me since Vegas to Reno!
seven weeks ago I got a phone call from a guy named Mike Cook. He said he had never raced before and want to start. He had bought a 2009 Polaris RZR S and asked me if I could build his UTV in time to race at the TT 250. I took a deep breath and said sure. He dropped the UTV off 6 weeks before the race and I was not able to start on it untill 4 weeks before the race. Myself and my helper Matt aka "Buttons" worked every day and completed rollcage on monday the 13th. I dropped it off at noon to my good friend Matt Tomb at Tomb Enterprises. He created an awsome aluminum body and gave it back to me tuesday night at 8:30 pm. While the RZR was at Tomb Enterprises I built a new engine for my Rhino. When I picked it up Matt said are you really going to try complete this RZR in time for TT 250 I said "sure". We started wednesday morning at 5 am assembling the RZR. I went to Foddrills Fab shop to make my firewall and floor and they bet that there was no way that the RZR would be ready in time. Myself, Buttons, and Team Razors edge ( Mike, Bill, and Joe) gang banged the RZR till 2am Wednesday. We started again Thursday at 5am at loaded the RZR on the trailer at 4am with only the electrical and GPS left to do. We slept for 2 hours and hit the rode for Primm. We arrived in Primm at 2:30pm. All the UTV's were lined up ready for tech. After teching the UTV's. It was off to the drivers meeting. Then back to the Desert Toyz pit to finish the RZR. Finally at 3am we were done. We slept for another 2 hours and got up at 5am to race. Team Razors Edge 1912 started in the second row in 3rd. Desert Toyz Team Rhino started way in the back in the second to last row. Off the line we gave the green Jagged built fiberglass RZR a good drag race but they just squeezed by us at the fence. The dust was unreal. I felt like I was driving with my eyes closed! We quickly caught Matt Peers in his red Rhino 1936. The navgator waved at us but then they jackrabbited on me. I chased them down again and gave them a little nudge in the rear. They quickly pulled over and let me by. We then caught our new team mates 1912. I did every thing I could to pass them but couldn't get by. We both passed several jeepspeed vehicles. Finally at mile 40 I found a fast smooth line on the left and sailed by the 1912. I thought with clean air I would check out on the 1912 but he stayed about 1 mile behind me. Pretty impressive for a rookie! About mile 60 our right front tire went flat. We stopped to change it and the 1912 passed us back also the Sportsman UTV 1954 went by. We quickly finished the tire change and raced to the finish. I called on the radio to the 1912 and asked Mike if he would stop and let me go around him so I could get the 2 extra points. He said sure and stopped 2 miles from the finish. When 1912 stopped the RZR stalled and would not restart. I told them that I would push him the the finish and then go around. What a great ending to the race. I pushed him all the way thru the Lucas Oil track. The specators and media really enjoyed it too. 2 corners from the finish I slipped off the rear bumper of the 1912 and my right front got stuck in the RZR's driver rear. We were stuck together. We tryed to backup but we had no reverse! I think the shift linkage came loose. I jumped out and so did Bill the RZR navigator. We tryed several times to push my Rhino back but couldn't move it. 2 course workers came over and we finally seperated us. We pushed towards the finish line and dove around the 1912 to finish 3rd!!!!!!!!! What a great day.
Against all odds again We were able to get 2 UTV's to the race and finish 3rd an 4th!! Thank you to my wife for a great job navigating me through the brutal dust. Thank you to all the UTV teams that came out and raced.
Thank you to my sponsors; Maxxis Tires, Elka Shocks, OMF Wheels, Black Rhino, Web Cam, PWR Radiotors, Ride-On Tire sealent and balancer, Utv Off Road Magazine, VP Fuels, Desert Hand Therpy, PCI Radios, Desert Toyz and of course Yamaha.

harleys dad

Reaction
I am confused why the one would stop and waite for you to go around???? I thought this was a race, not a pre run!

D Bergstrom

Reaction
Congrat's on the finish Cory. The UTV's were actually moving pretty good (We were at mile 61 for BITD.) Some of them were actually passing other classes on the dry lake bed!

Any pics of the RZR-S you built? I got the wife one a few months ago, now she wants to race...I may need to find you at the Blue Water GP and talk to you a little.

Doug

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
If anybody wants information on the winning Polaris RZR go and the rocket fast motor that it had in it (and reliable too!) go to http://www.holzracingproducts.com/

This guy has RZR's figured out and works with the top Trophy Truck engine builder on his motors.

Reaction
They waited for us to go around them so we can get the extra points. They are not in the points race like we are.