TT a-arm bushing material question...

skinny

RDC Crypto
on the lower a-arm i am using a big 1.5 uniball on the spindle end of the a-arm, what should i use for the bushing material at the frame end of the a-arm.......rubber,poly,aluminum,brass, bronze.....what are most of the Trophy truck/class 8/ heavy truck guys running these days.....also where is a good source for the material.......

from pics on porters site it appears theres are from aluminum.....6065...7075????
pics from RGs truck look like brass or bronze....or something of that nature

thanks in advance for your help....

V8Ranger

RDC Crypto
pics from RGs truck look like brass or bronze....or something of that nature

Oil Impregnated Bronze perhaps? Also known as SAE 841. McMaster carries it but you can generally find it other places for cheaper. If you need a supplier in the southern california area you can PM me.

RacinHam

RDC Crypto
I have done alot of research in this area because I am building a arms for my Ranger. I have found that Trophy Trucks and most all other classes run uniballs on the frame side of the lower a arm as well as the spindle side. I dont know what size they run but I am using 1" uniballs.

crazyracer

RDC Crypto
if they were to use a plastic, i would assume Derin AN (AN is a teflon incorperated Derin for more lubrication) or something harder like Peek. <learned about peek just last night, but i know its one of the hardest plastics out there.

Chris_Wilson

RDC Crypto
I've found cheap OilLite block bronze stock down by the shipyards in San Diego at one of the metal supply and scrap/recycler places. I think they use it for prop shaft guides. Another option, if you don't want a metal bearing, would be Nylatron.

down4glamis

RDC Crypto
Website
www.myspace.com
We have made inner pivot bushings for Winning TT and Class 1 Teams. The material of choice has been delrin from all of them. From US, to Baja, to Dakar, our stuff has held up, and we get more orders all the time.

Sean@Blitz

MesaKrew

RDC Crypto
Try using a medium compound polyurethane, The delrin may be too firm for that application, plus with delrin when sand mixes with the grease it becomes a lappind compound and eats away at the bushing and the steel. Just a thought though

151fab

RDC Crypto
MesaKrew, I like that quote.

(Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!")

FABRICATOR

RDC Crypto
Try using a medium compound polyurethane, The delrin may be too firm for that application, plus with delrin when sand mixes with the grease it becomes a lappind compound and eats away at the bushing and the steel. Just a thought though

Most TT's use pretty long lower arms. Long arms usually require stiffer material so things at the outer end don't wabble around too much. Movement can especially show up in the steering.

RocketMan

RDC Crypto
Website
locosmocos.com
I build many different types of mechanical acctuated assembly's and the bushing material of choice for strength / toughness is Aluminum Bronze ....and it's what i'm using on my trailing arms on my Truggy (yet to run though)

down4glamis

RDC Crypto
Website
www.myspace.com
check mcmaster-carr too. they have all various sizes of almost everything...

RocketMan

RDC Crypto
Website
locosmocos.com
Aluminum-bronze for trailing arm bushings? How's the articulation with that?

al -bronz at front pivot of the lower trailing arm and heims at the rear end and on both ends of the center links should articulate fine ...shouldn't it or do you think that it will bind as the axle twists at full comp one side full extension on the other ?

151fab

RDC Crypto
It'll bind. The only place on a linked rear that you could use al/bronz would be the frame pivots of a wishbone upper link (three link; not four). Every other pivot on a three link and all the pivots on a four link need to be able to move three dimensionally.

movindirt

Wham Spore
RDC Crypto
Website
www.movin-dirt.com
I don't know if the al-bronz will hold up in the front pivot of the lower trailing arm but the type of mount is okay. Yes you will limit articulation but it will work. I would rather side load a mount at the frame then the shocks that are $500 and up.