TT Horsepower @ B1K 2015

Stover

Reaction
Does anyone know which TT has the most HP in this year's edition?

Post up numbers if you know them.

johnnyweb

Reaction
Gonna go with Kroeker. He's racing TT anyways. Other than that Josh Daniels. Sorry though he is not racing Baja 1000.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

harleys dad

Reaction
I would say RG is in the top HP with several about the same but RGs has that sound that is music to the ears

Stover

Reaction
Kroeker's Viper V-10 (Minotaur) was in the 900 hp range, what's Daniels?

JDDurfey

Reaction
You can have all the horsepower in the world, but if it doesn't "hook up" and you just spin your wheels it does you no good.

07FJRog

Reaction
I think Dan McMillin said 8n another thread that his truck worked better with a lil less power, food for thought

CaptinCrash

Reaction
Herbst trucks have 1050 hp on pump gas

Tucker Conroy
These are my opinions and mine alone

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
David Ortega likes this.

Look at B1K finish results. 1,000 HP claim finished second to last in class.
This doesn't prove anything one way or the other.

Let's look at Josh Daniel and his fancy wazoo twin turbo danzio motor. It screams and is easily the highest HP motor racing desert today. He has at the tires, what most have at the the crank.

This means he has power in reserve when he is keeping up with his competitors and they are floored. This is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kent Kroeker

Reaction
The V10 we run is amazing.

Our new OBR "Euro 8" controller takes care of all engine systems, automatically optimizing engine temperature, fuel pressure and air/fuel ratio for varying conditions - outside air temperature, air filter flow, etc. During the 1000, our oil temp stayed right at 220 and water at 190 for the entire race - navigators never touched a fan switch. We got 3.1 - 3.6 mpg because the motor runs in closed loop off oxygen sensors. The OBR uses an algorithm to ease into an "overlapping" open loop if the sensors fail gradually. In the unlikely event of an oil pressure drop below X value if a cog belt gets thrown or the truck is upside down, the engine shuts off automatically, long before damage can occur. The crank runs a 52 tooth tone wheel that will permit the engine to start and run on just the crank sensor, not the crank and cam sensor together, so that gives us tremendous redundancy. With our latest heads and the new ECU and intake we're getting 980 hp. The best thing is that because we have two extra cylinders, the motor doesn't have to be stroked to get 512 cubic inches. All the reciprocating parts in the valve train are small and light and piston skirts are long, so the parts are not stressed + we use a special two stage air filter that can hold 30 lbs of dirt and still flow over 1000 cfm with 99.9% efficiency. Bottom line: we've been getting 5000 - 6000 race miles between rebuilds - all in a package that weighs around 500 lbs. dressed. And it builds power in a linear way, making for great drivability - like a huge electric motor.

This is what 980 hp and 7500+ rev limit can do pushing a brick through the air:

Kent Kroeker.jpg

980 Horsepower is also why we never got stuck in the silt at the 1000 this year:

Kroeker_Baja_1000_Talco.JPG

As far as big horsepower being an advantage, I'm not sure that it was on this year's 1000 course - except for in the silt, of course!!

This year's course was pretty tight and technical in a lot of sections, favoring buggies, UTV's and lightweight TT's set up to be low and nimble. I could only open it up all the way a few times - in the silt, along the beach and on some dirt roads. Other than that, I was just using 1/4 throttle.

A La Paz run would be different.

J Burleson

Reaction
Did RG have engine troubles? I was in punta cabras (rm107) and I could hear him coming like usual but definitely sounded off a bit. When he went by it was spit and poppin. I figured he was gonna be blown up before long but was surprised to hear he made it to what rm 700ish?

Hayward Racing

Reaction
Did RG have engine troubles? I was in punta cabras (rm107) and I could hear him coming like usual but definitely sounded off a bit. When he went by it was spit and poppin. I figured he was gonna be blown up before long but was surprised to hear he made it to what rm 700ish?

No, they claimed they had zero mechanical issues but got stuck a few times causing a bunch of downtime

Kent Kroeker

Reaction
Also, keep in mind that we were running huge horsepower in a limited chassis Class 8 truck with frame rails and an engine way up front.

If this motor were in a true unlimited chassis, the mpg we experienced would probably have been lower because we could have used more of the power. We were chassis limited, not motor limited + we had a bunch of down time due to Baja stuff.

I was also not driving at the top of my game - our GPS lost course at RM 30 and I was way jet-lagged from just returning from another continent a day prior to the race. I hadn't seen the course for 20 days.

A good, fresh driver with an unlimited chassis could do a lot better than I did at the 1000. Quality, reliable horsepower is always a good thing.

Kent Kroeker

Reaction
David Ortega likes this.

Look at B1K finish results. 1,000 HP claim finished second to last in class.

This doesn't prove anything one way or the other.

Let's look at Josh Daniel and his fancy wazoo twin turbo danzio motor. It screams and is easily the highest HP motor racing desert today. He has at the tires, what most have at the the crank.

This means he has power in reserve when he is keeping up with his competitors and they are floored. This is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to quote these ideas before my statement above...

Western Motorsports

Reaction
Here is the opposite of Big horse power: Team C Racing's TT Spec finished 11th Overall and has won 6 consecutive races in Score and looks like they will be 2nd in the Overall Championship this year. This with a spec LS motor. Great driving, pit support, race plan and TEAM EFFORT seems to be the formula.