TT vs Bike

Chainguide

Could this have been handled differently?

Things noteworthy: You can hear the "request to pass" on the bikes's stella
The TT clearly runs over the downed bike.
This is just a short edit so who knows what took place prior?

Baja Bryan

That sucks. I know we were behind bikes for a long time on the horn and stella with no response.. We keep trying to get closer so they can hear the horn. I thought the stella would have worked better... Maybe it need to be louder for bikes.

Chainguide

Have you guys spoken with the TT driver?
not my team. I just reposted for discussion/awareness

That sucks. I know we were behind bikes for a long time on the horn and stella with no response.. We keep trying to get closer so they can hear the horn. I thought the stella would have worked better... Maybe it need to be louder for bikes.
I can hear the Stella just fine during a race, but I do not wear earplugs or listen to music while racing, either.

bomber

Are there visual indicators on the stella for request to pass alerts? Could be orange blinking light. Even though my moto helmet didn't hardly muffle sound, the wind noise wouldn't let me hear much. It was really a problem when I first started racing trucks with it and I couldn't hear horns from other racers or even the speakers that were tucked in the helmet for comms until we'd slow down.

To me wind noise renders most audible alerts in off road racing pointless, visual is much more effective.

pgarfinkle

It doesn't look like the TT even turned the wheel to try and avoid running over the bike. Pretty lame in my opinion.

J Burleson

The Stella beeps are barely audible and the flashing blue screen is very hard to see during the day. This is my experience from a car, with the Stella mounted below the dash so it is fairly shaded. I could see it be nearly impossible to see on bike with direct sunlight.

Tipracer

Rhetorical question...
Very poor judgement on drivers part...at least let dude move his bike.

J Burleson

Bottom line is that people need to be just a bit more patient. The tt driver perhaps didn’t know the bike was under him until he ran it over, but he obviously knew he did, then just bounced and left a guy that out there with a potentially now broken bike. This is unsportsmanlike at best. Who cares how long he had been following the bike. It’s a Racing incident that could have been worse, but certainly could have been avoided.

whitey96f150

I was the driver of the trophylite from rage last year that had the unfortune to encounter this stand up citizen. This video was brought up to my attention by a pit crew member early this morning and I knew it was a matter of time before it made it onto rdc. I hope the rider was ok and was able to continue his race . Sure seems to be a going trend with Eric hustead. I heard of a incident at another race involving him aswell but can not confirm as I was not there or involved. All I know is this guy is going to end up hurting someone badly if he continues this type of behavior behind the wheel

coolerking

No patience shown by the TT, as soon as he heard the stella he looked back and then tried to climb the berm out of the way, bike did everything right, except the berm part...the TT...not so much.
If this was one of our guys, we would be doing some bodywork on the TT at the finish...I can guarantee that.

mattb

Bottom line is that people need to be just a bit more patient......
On the race course..
At Starbucks...
Letting people merge onto the freeway..
The list can go on and on.

Nothing is so important during a race that you need to compromise another persons life, or hard work. This is so much worse than any other story from the 1k. There. I place for this kind of activity in any Racing organization.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
TT guy obviously at fault. Some of his chase crew were driving likes twatwaffles too.

But if you're on a bike and you have a 10 hour head start on the TTs, and you're getting passed by them, at what point do you call it? You're not gonna win and you're blocking MUCH faster vehicles. You're putting yourself in danger.

Yeah, I know, "A racer doesn't give up" yada yada yada. I've heard it before. But there needs to be a cut of for safety reasons alone. Bike/quad/UTV get caught by the first TT they should be stopped at the next checkpoint. They don't let slower cars keep going at Daytona do they? No. It's a safety issue. And NAPCAR doesn't have to deal with dust or the night.

JDDurfey

TT guy obviously at fault. Some of his chase crew were driving likes twatwaffles too.

But if you're on a bike and you have a 10 hour head start on the TTs, and you're getting passed by them, at what point do you call it? You're not gonna win and you're blocking MUCH faster vehicles. You're putting yourself in danger.

Yeah, I know, "A racer doesn't give up" yada yada yada. I've heard it before. But there needs to be a cut of for safety reasons alone. Bike/quad/UTV get caught by the first TT they should be stopped at the next checkpoint. They don't let slower cars keep going at Daytona do they? No. It's a safety issue. And NAPCAR doesn't have to deal with dust or the night.
Go race NASCRAP if you want to compare desert racing to the roundy round races. There should never be a comparison.

I think what the truck did was a load of crap. I would be somewhat understanding if it were a silt bed and the truck couldn't stop for fear of getting stuck, I've been the bike rider in those situations, and I managed to never get hit because the trucks and cars all used plenty of horn and were patient with me. I got out of the rut and hung out until the dust cleared and continued.

As far as the bikes being pulled off the course, I don't agree with that. They should get to stay until their time limit is up. Once their time limit is up, then pull them off. We don't pull a TT off that gets caught by a Class 1. We don't pull any other class off the race course because it gets caught by another class, so why bikes?

isdtbower

Looks like the rider visually acknowledged the closing of the truck and tried to get out of the silty rut. This is never comfortable because you usually have to slow down and power out to get off the line. That didn't happen well and he crashed. Luckily the TT had the separation and brakes to stop. So far so good. The rider waved OK or ??? and the TT continued. (Not wanting to get rear-ended possibly, also.) Did he know the bike was so close? Was the wave a "go ahead?" I think he probably didn't intend to run over the bike ...for fear of a flat from footpegs, handlebars, rider courtesy, etc.

May take? Aw Shi*. That didn't go well. One of those situations and location where as a bike rider you know there is better than a 50% chance of things NOT going to go well. Scary for everyone involved with split second decisions. The first post decision point is everyone OK? Then it is open from there. Not sure you could call running over the bike "On purpose."

A "retired" rider and rarely been in that situation. Never to run Baja due to pre-running and close mixing of vehicles in the early days. There were plenty of other choices.

mebedb1

Was that the First push to pass?, If it was....Wow! Truck was on top of his rear wheel about 5 seconds after the tone, a millisecond after the rider went down.
Just stating the obvious.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
As far as the bikes being pulled off the course, I don't agree with that. They should get to stay until their time limit is up. Once their time limit is up, then pull them off. We don't pull a TT off that gets caught by a Class 1. We don't pull any other class off the race course because it gets caught by another class, so why bikes?
Because the bikes were given a 10 hour head start. Maybe you didn't read that part before.. But if you get caught by a class that start 10 hours after you, you aren't racing anymore, you're just trying to finish and not hurt your ego while putting yourself in harms way.

There's also a few TT guys that shouldn't be there to begin with, this team being one of them. He should have gotten off line to pass the bike or had PATIENCE. If you don't have respect for your fellow racer you shouldn't be racing.