• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tube Bender conversion

Stan

Reading posts over on POR 4x4, trying to get edmacated on converting a JD2 Mod 3 to hydro operation. There's suggestions on using a port-a-power and a lot of homegrown ideas. Anyone on here have any suggestions?

Stan
snowed-in in OK

"Rehabilitation begins at autopsy."

Stan

Not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm reading up on homegrown ideas of doing the conversion (i.e. cheap $$$$) but that's okay, I'm onto something now.

Stan
Back in smog-filled Kaliforny, People's Republik of

Mikey

Call Duffco Dan. He had a homegrown conversion. His site is down right now.

DuffcoDan

here are pics from a JD squared bender we did full hydraulic conversion. it may cost from $800-1200 for all the parts needed. it sure beat getting blisters on your feet trying to bend a piece of moly. we now use a Curt LeDuc designed, Hossfeld bender.

Attachments

Stan

That's about the same setup as I have been looking at and that's what I'm getting ready to dive into, BUT, if this isn't a good idea, let me know. My stand will be about the same, I'm going to get a Prince Cylinder from Northern Tool, along with a manual Porta Power Pump since the cash outlay for a totally powered system is impossible at this time. The one last question I have and forgot to ask my expert was the fittings between the pump and the cylinder are different, but I'm sure I can get some adapters to make everything fit. Would I need to worry about a loss of power? Here are descirptions of the cylinder and the pump. I may go with a different cylinder, but this is close to what I'm looking at.
http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NTE_Large_image.d2w/report?rfno=25230

DuffcoDan

you should talk with a hydraulic expert to find out what volume pump you need for the size of cylinder to do the work. if the pump you have pushes a large volume then you need a smaller cylinder to do the
work quickly, yet a larger diameter cylinder will do more work or put out more force.

We had a 110v , 1.5hp pump to work with. We had to use a large cylinder 4" bore x 24" throw to do the necessary work required.... it was a bit slow.

it also depends on the leverage arm you used for the bender....we used about 6" ext. arm to be able to bend.

you might think about an air/hydraulic pump like the standard JD squared conversion kits offers. they put out great amount of tonage, and have decent control when using about a 3" dia. cylinder.