tube bender

jimpat

Reaction
we broke our tube bender and need to get a new one or good used one. I want an hydrolic operated one. We bend mostly chrome moly tubes so it should be sturdy.
Any advice you can give me on the make or seller will be greatly appriciated
jim

KitRacer

Reaction
My vote is w/ JDD as well

TimHayosh

Reaction
Here's a vote for a different unit. It's the only one I have ever used. I am a complete know-nothing rookie fabricator, and this thing made it pretty easy! I think it's in a different price range than the JD2.

http://www.pro-tools.com/hb302.htm

spedy1

Reaction
You should try Mckenzie's they stock the JMR bender. It is full hydraulic and on a stand with three dies for under $2500.

bajakirby23

Reaction
we got plenty of jds benders here at baja racing products let me now if you want them we are the only distrebuter on the west coast.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
What your budget will determine-how nice you can get .If its high I have an Ercolina bender and love it.I've used hydraulic and non hydraulic JD benders as weel as an older Leduc hydraulic bender. Ercolina Bender

slimjim

Reaction
i am shopping for a bender also, and i am looking to get the least expensive unit that will still make a quality bend. i have been looking at the jd2, and now the pro-tool. can the pro-tool bend 180 degrees? is there another make i should look at for low-budget bending?

AZmiik

Reaction
I was just looking at stuff in general today when I came across this company. Looks like they make some nice stuff.

Baileigh Industrial

One nice thing is all of thier die sets interchange through out thier product line.

Mike

properprerunner

Reaction
I was looking at that one too, but they claim that it only bends up to .095 wall mild steel tubing.

jeff

Reaction
I've got some time on the LeDuc style bender and it's a pretty good machine but in my opinion there are better/nicer/faster/cheaper machines out there. LeDuc uses the old Hossfeld design and it's right up there with the horse and buggy in terms of antiquity. The dies are really expensive and can be very hard to find should you need a replacement in a hurry. One of our 1-3/4" main shoes snapped (bad casting) and it took two weeks to get a new one. The die builder was totally cool and sent out a new main shoe free of charge, he even beefed up his design for us to help prevent future problems. For the money I think you can do better. I like those semi-automatic $10,000 Ercolina units but "oh my gosh" are they expensive. It'd be super bitchin to program a bend and then hit the go button though.

For low-buck I think it's next to impossible to beat the JD or ProTools benders. For the price of one of those units you can be ahead of the game and spend your money on tube instead of a tube bender.

Aloha

fatnbald

Reaction
just replaced my model 3 with the model 32 and am very happy so far. was happy with other unit, just needed to bend thicker walled material.

Baileigh Inc

Reaction
i am shopping for a bender also, and i am looking to get the least expensive unit that will still make a quality bend. i have been looking at the jd2, and now the pro-tool. can the pro-tool bend 180 degrees? is there another make i should look at for low-budget bending?
Wanna bend 180 degrees in one shot with a manual bender? :cool:

dlbcheckmate

Reaction
I bought a used Greenlee Smartbender 855. I've only bent a few sticks but seems good, makes repetative bends a snap. Has anyone used and bending programs with these?

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Here's a vote for a different unit. It's the only one I have ever used. I am a complete know-nothing rookie fabricator, and this thing made it pretty easy! I think it's in a different price range than the JD2.

http://www.pro-tools.com/hb302.htm
The JD2 Model 3 and the Pro Tools 105 are equivalent benders at equivalent prices. . .the JD2 Model 32 is slightly more expensive than the Model 3, but cheaper than the Model 4 with increased bending capacity over the Model 3.

The Pro-Tools Model 105 can do 180* bends. . .you just need to make sure that you order 180* dies with it. . .make sure you specify any time you are ordering a bender that includes a die or ordering dies in general. . .otherwise you might end up with a different die than you wanted.

I'm getting a JD2 Model 32 sometime this coming year, but I have used a Pro-Tools Model 105, JD2 Model 3, and a Hossfeld (didn't care for it at ALL. . .the JD2, Pro-Tools, and Hossfeld are all the same design, but the Hossfeld I used kinked everything it touched). I couldn't tell the difference between a 105 and a Model 3 in use or if you just stood them next to each other without a label on them. . .I'm choosing the Model 32 because of the increased tube diameter capacity.