• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tube dies

DBMETALWORX

3 times the tube O.D. is rule of thumb, for minimum bend radius.. 3" clr (center line radius) for 1" and I would go with 6" clr for 1.5".. With the 6" clr, you can bend .065 without wrinkling the inside of the bend.. 180* dies are a must.

vegasloki

My first 1.5" was 5.5 clr and my first 1" was 3" clr. I added different sizes as needed. Two things I'm glad I got were the ram setup and Bendtech software. You may soon find you have more invested in tooling than the bender.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

wrightracing.net

I have a JD2 model 4 bender and started out with 1", 1.5" and a 1.75" dies. But bake when the rollcage rules change for the heavier vehicles I picked up a 2" die. The only ones I want now are a 1.25" and I want to get a 1" & 1.5" square tubing dies. As for the radius of the bend CLR I think they are about 3 times the tubing plus a half inch. Because my 1" CLR is 3.5 I think but I know my 2" is 6.5" CLR. I alway have to go back and look at the dies for the correct CLR when planning out a project.

I have not even used my 1.5 " die but I am making a roof rack for a full size chevy truck extra cab and I finally get to make the floor of the rack with 1.5" tubing and 1" for the rails. I talk the guy out of doing the rack out of all 2" tubing like I used to make his bumpers.

Attachments

arqangel67

Where is a good place to pick up dies in the SD,IE maybe OC areas.

arqangel67

Bueler?

arqangel67

I guess I'll end up doing the same. You would think that a local company would carry dies. I know of one but they have a very high mark up on them.