Tubing Bender

TimHayosh

Reaction
Has anyone used <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pro-tools.com/hb302.htm>this Pro-Tools bender</A>?
If so, what is your impression. We will be using it with the "industrial" Air over Hydraulic pump.
Ease of use?
Longevity?
Quality of dies?
Maintenance?
Return on investment?

Thanks.

Happy motoring, Tim

michael

Reaction
I haven't used that bender, but I have used that style. It works really well, but you can only get a little past 90 degrees. Mine was mounted on a roll around stand. It's much nicer than having to crank on a manual type and since your not pulling on it it doesn't have to be bolted down to the floor. The one I use is an old unit from Williams lowbuck Tools, it uses cast aluminum dies and still works great to this day. It's probably 15 years old. The Protools unit looks even better and easier to use as long as you don't want to bend more than 90 degrees.

Michael <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mkparker.com/goose>mkparker.com/goose</A>

MikeOhlhausen

Reaction
I have one, but have yet to fire it up and bend anything. I was happy with the workmanship and it appears to be a quality piece.

hoeker

Reaction
i built my own bender using the pro-tools die and a 10 ton porta power. the die has held up flawlessly the last couple years. the 10 ton ram i used instead of the 15 that the pro-tools unit uses get's the job done, but the 15 will be lots nicer. 0 to 120 degrees this style is much nicer and faster than a ratchet style. 120 to 180 degrees go borrow a buddies bender.

bend quality is very good, very little flat spotting.

LIGHTS RIGHT
www.rosshoek.com

TimHayosh

Reaction
Thanks for all your responses, on and off this board. Sounds like everyone thinks is a decent unit. I'm just doing a basic cage for my new rally car. Probably do some bumpers, tire rack and light bars for my truck.

Merry christmas to all.

Happy motoring, Tim

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Most of the machines today are just a copy of another. I got one of the protools units, picked it up for 300 with hydropump and die. hahah. Any way works great, no problems, except it is a small hassle getting a new die set from florida everytime. I think that most others like m-tech, out of arizona, are compatibal.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS.......DROP THE "HAMMER"!

Kbach66

Reaction
I did the same thing as Ross - built my own bender and used Protools dies, and must say that the dies have held up rather well. I also agree with Acid in that it was a pain a couple of times getting dies from them in FL. The couple times I really needed a die, they didn't have it made and it was another month until they would have it ready. I never checked into the compatability of other manufacturers dies...maybe next time.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Just to expand on the Florida thing a little, had a job that required the 1" die, told the kid that I would do it as soon as the die came....month later it came, surprised the kid waited. I would definatly call around when die searching to see who is compatible and not. If you want I could post my Hydro setup, simple, just a ram off of a cherry picker with an enerpac pump. A HUGE sace on the pocket book

IF ALL ELSE FAILS.......DROP THE "HAMMER"!

hoeker

Reaction
that style can definitely be built cheap, but is not near as user friendly as the pro-tools style. vertical units are difficult to set up without an additional hand, especially when doing compound bends. also if you notice the pro tools unit has a hinged top. i wouldn't give that up for any savings in cost.

i would really recommend going with the style of the pro tools unit. i spent 300 bucks on a good quality 10 ton porta power, and made the cylinder attach like the pro tools unit. when i'm not using the bender i unscrew the cylinder and have the porta power for whatever else i need it for. killed 2 birds with one stone. i am going to start looking for a 15 ton cylinder one of these days, but i'll still use the porta power hand pump.

for what its worth. .02?

LIGHTS RIGHT
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

jarreptolson

Reaction
the unit actually works really well, if you get a magnetic angle finder it is extremely easy to find the correct angle, for multiple plane bends a table or platform works well to get the bender off the floor. For the price (the cost of the die, a bottle jack, and some metal) i cant really justify going out and spending any more. Yet if you have the budget to afford it then by all means go for the porta power unit. This one will work plenty fine for a full time college student with a couple part time jobs on the side. My .02

TimHayosh

Reaction
Has anyone experienced "over-bending" as a result of using a hydraulically powered bender as opposed to human powered? I'm told this is a common thing.

Anyone, anyone?

Happy motoring, Tim