• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tubing Bender

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with the follow bars on a JD squared type 3 bender? I have had problems with both 1 3/4" and 1 1/2" . The trailing edge of the first pad just starts to gall and chunk out. This is only after 20 bends or less. The 1 3/4" bar was replaced and since then I have had no troubles with it (yet).... I just sent the 1 1/2" bar back to them. I am not sure why this is happening. I clean the tubing very well before I put it in the bender. If you saw what was going on with the follow bar then you would think I draggeg rocks over it.

If anyone else has had these problems I would like to know. I am very displeased with JD Squared for their lack of customer service. I was told before I sent it(1 1/2" follow bar) to them that they would replace it no problem but wanted to see it. I called them today to see if they had received it and was then told by the same guy I spoke to the first time that he was only going to charge me $40 for a new bar. After talking to him and him all but calling me a liar and yelling at me I am getting a new follow bar for free. I doubt I will ever get another part replaced by them.

JD Squared has also stopped making one piece follow bars and is now using a three piece design that has replacible pads. They say that they did not do this do to the fact that follow bars were failing. I am thinking different. And if they don't have many problems like mine then why is it happening to me and/ or do they have a problem replacing the part the first time. I could see if I screwed up the 1 3/4" a second time.

If anyone has any input on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

BradM

I have an old JD Squared bender. The first die that I got was a 1 5/8" and it worked good for the first cage that I built. I did notice a little bit of galling on the outside of the bend due to the follow bar but I added a little grease as well as cleaning the tubing really good and it helped. I have a few other dies, one of them is 1 1/2 and they are newer but they don't gall the tubing on the outside of the bend. I noticed that the follow bar is made differently. It is still one piece but machined out of one solid 2" block. The follow die for the 1 5/8 looks like a Y welded up with two pads that contact the tube. I figured the design change was the reason that the 1 1/2 doesn't gall. I don't see how you could wear it out unless you use it everyday. If thats the case, you should have bought a more production bender.

If you have noticed, there are a lot of companies selling benders that look just like the JDS bender. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the dies will interchange. As for their customer service, I can not attest. They have always been good when I ordered new dies but I have never had to send anything back. You might check the follow bar to see if it is directional. I think the new ones are stamped on top but the old ones weren't. As I recall, the contact pads are cut on a taper to ease the transition for the tube.

Cameron

I have been using the JD2 bender for 5 years now , I have only used the 1 1/2" die, but never had any problems. We always spray the tubing and the bar with WD40 before we make the bend.

<font color=red>Cameron</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>BRAT Racing # 936</font color=yellow>

mike_hinson

I've been using a Hosfelfd No. 2 bender for over 10 years. I always lube the tubing as well as the dies with a WD40 type spray lube before starting a bend. Bending dry can cause the slider die to gaul or scratch the tube. The Hosfeld dies also have a fairly smooth finish on them from the factory and are cast pieces. The fact that they are cast may have some bearing on show they slide over the tube. Also use spray lube liberally on the pivot points on the bender every time you use it.

rdc

Thanks so far for the comments. I always use at least WD40 or better. I think I got a bad batch of dies. I know people who have the same bender and just flat out abuse it and have had no troubles. I was told by Bob at JD2 that you can bend tubing dry if you want.

Got figure the one time I take care of something and follow directions it all goes wrong! ?????

I still want to hear from people who use the JD2 bender. Tell me the good or the bad.

Thanks,

Tony

Donahoe

Tony, Do you Clean your tubing before you bend?

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

rdc

Yes I clean it to a shine with WD40 and a scrub pad... I then wipe it down with a clean cloth before I put it in the bender.

Tony

Donahoe

Call Dave at my shop... He makes a Damm nice bender... My jd2 bender use to scratch up the tube bad... Daves benders will too but only if the tube is not clean. Desert tool is the name of his company... You can purchases them through Donahoe Racing.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

drtdevil93

we (deaver) just got our desert tool bender from donahoe. looks bitchin, well see how it works in a couple days. First project is a cage for my toyota. im hoping to have it out at the night race. we'll see.

erik

rdc

FYI.... I have found that WD40 has been the problem with the follow bars falling apart. I told the folks at JD Squared that I was using it and they never once said that it was wrong. I have made several bends dry(no oil) with great results. I did get a new 1 1/2 follow bar and made two bends with it. It is so poorly made that it is leaving a huge scrape down one side of the tube. I know I can use a flap wheel and fix the problem but should you have to do this???? Plus the new follow bar design is lame! I am very dissatisfied with JD Squared and there products. I would not recommend buying anything from them.

Tony

rdc

YOU CAN DRAW POLISH YOUR DIES WITH COPPER SULFATE ( YOU CAN GET IT AT ANY HARDWARE STORE IN THE FORM OF A WEED KILLER). THE COPPER ACTS AS A LUBRICANT ON LOW CARBON STEELS (YOUR TUBING) AND DOES PREVENT GALLING. SOUNDS CRAZY BUT IT WORKS.

journeyman

rdc

Hi Tony,

I'm looking to buy a used tube bender for my 5/16 project. Do you have any suggestion as to how I can locate one? I don't want anything fancy just something that will work. Of course I will be bending 1 1/2" OD x .095 wall. What do you recommend I do?

Thank you in advance.

Ric.

vwguy

a lowbuck tools bender is 500 bucks for their manual use bender and it works great

its not speeding unless its a triple digit

rdc

How can I see a lowbuck tube bender? Actually, I would like to see some results do you have any suggestions how I might see some results?

Stan

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.lowbucktools.com/>http://www.lowbucktools.com/</A>

"Rehabilitation begins at autopsy."

Stan

No problemo

"Rehabilitation begins at autopsy."