tubing benders

tkr

Reaction
What's the difference between the JD2 bender and the one Desert Tools sells? Any pros and cons?

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

cleartoy

Reaction
I dont know but i have the JD2. It makes nice bends without kinking, and is pretty straight forward to use.

However my bender does not always advance to the next tooth after a bend. I sometimes have to slide a small wrench in between the teeth to get more bend to allow me to go to the next tooth. Ive never heard of any other JD2 owners having this problem.

Because of this, I would probably buy a different bender next time around.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

tkr

Reaction
Thanks for your opinion David

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

sbro

Reaction
I bought a Desert Tool bender and it works great. The two are very similar, but I went with Desert Tool because the company is local (Corona), everything is in stock and can be picked up, and the owner is willing to answer any questions you may have and gives plenty of tips.

motoxscott

Reaction
I haven't used or seen a desert tools but I have the JD2. For the most part it works great. I'm only a little disappointed in the pivot where the ratcheting levers are. Their is a sleeve that is wearing out and making it sloppy. This doesnt effect the bends in anyway, it's just not as tight as it used to be. I'm converting it to hydraulic soon so that will all be removed and wont be an issue. Other than that it works great.

-Scott

Dylan

Reaction
the problem of not being able to get to the next notch is common it's not the benders fault it hapens when you have springy mtl. like 4130 and a large angle bend.

jarreptolson

Reaction
Does anyone have an opinion on pro-tools manual bender. I have been looking into a bender and am unable to decide between JD2 and protools, also does desert tools have a web site with the bender on it. Thanks for any info. www.pro-tools.com

Bham_Mike

Reaction
I have a Pro Tools manual bender. Its about 10 years old now and still works well although some of the pivots are worn. They have made improvements since I bought mine. The dies have a feature that prevent "spring back". It takes a little longer to use it, but it keeps tension on the tube between pulls and prevents the tube from slipping in the die. Pro Tools and JD2 are very similar and both are located in the same area of Florida (coincidence?). I also have they're hole saw tube notcher, very sturdy.

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
I also have a Pro-Tools bender, it works great, even on 4130. I have it mounted to a
concrete slab in an open area in my yard to swing longer tubes & The dies are very affordable
Wayne

Nosala.com