Tubing fabrication costs?? PLEASE HELP

Mason M.

Reaction
Hello, so I'm fairly new to this style of truck mods, I have a plan and estimate of costs on everything I want to do. I'm in contact with a local shop that can do some of the work for me.
Specifically replacing the bed with tubing. They gave me a rough number of 15gs (that was on the high end). I would be running a 4 linked susp. with coils and bypasses, and relocating the fuel cell. That's just to give yall an idea of some of the things on the to do list. Does this 15gs sound right?? Where I'm from the desert long travel and pre runner life style virtually
doesn't exist. Now granted the shop knows what these builds are about, their involved in racing themselves and not just in a hobby sense. All I'm doing here is making sure I'm not getting
ripped off. I genuinely have no clue what abouts I should be expecting to pay.

Thanks in advance for any help!

calstyl2

Reaction
Have them show you some of their work, there are shops who do great looking work with no function and shops that build the ultimate off road vehicles, Pre runner or race vehicle. 15G without parts, just labor is possible, but low.
You want it done right you find people like Velasco, Stewart, or Newman

BHollander

Reaction
From the owner of a very small fab shop I will say $15k does not go far to properly build or link the rear of a truck. Depending on tubing 4130 or DOM, mig or tig, links, proper cycling geometry, rearend, heims, shocks, bumps, fuel cell, and that stuff adds up quickly then throw labor on top. You could be $20k+ just in parts no labor.
Rearend between $1k-$15k
Shocks and bumps $3k-$6k
Fuel cell $2k-$7k
Heims $1k
tubing/plate $1k-$3k
driveline $500
plumbing $500
trailing arms $2k-$6k
Labor $10k-$15k depending on mig or tig
this is assuming you have a good cage to tie into.

If I did my math correctly I would say on the absolute low end it will be north of $20k. More than likely close to $30k. Just my .02.

I am doing my personal truck right now and I am way over the $15k number in parts alone and it is only tacked together

Attachments

• trk5.jpg
    trk5.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 146

jon coleman

Reaction
15K seems really cheap.... I might question that...
it Starts at 15k, 15 k in a leaf set up is Quite the functional set up, nice deavers, 2 link& some nice fox's & and its party time, with money left over, read that ' geting nowhere with my fabricator' thread from 150 dude, its Quite educational;)^25%??, shoot, my jeepspeed deal was 22.5%, dood got a smokin' deal, and i dont know if he is even racing the da&# thing( ps, 15 k Includes bumb stops& limmiter straps& a 32 ga jaz sportsman cell

Last edited:

Mason M.

Reaction
From the owner of a very small fab shop I will say $15k does not go far to properly build or link the rear of a truck. Depending on tubing 4130 or DOM, mig or tig, links, proper cycling geometry, rearend, heims, shocks, bumps, fuel cell, and that stuff adds up quickly then throw labor on top. You could be $20k+ just in parts no labor.
Rearend between $1k-$15k
Shocks and bumps $3k-$6k
Fuel cell $2k-$7k
Heims $1k
tubing/plate $1k-$3k
driveline $500
plumbing $500
trailing arms $2k-$6k
Labor $10k-$15k depending on mig or tig
this is assuming you have a good cage to tie into.

If I did my math correctly I would say on the absolute low end it will be north of $20k. More than likely close to $30k. Just my .02.

I am doing my personal truck right now and I am way over the $15k number in parts alone and it is only tacked together

Your ride is looking good man. Thanks for the quick response! . So material ~3k and the labor 10k-15k cool (for the tubing/plates) am i understanding that correctly? If so he was giving me a pretty close number.

Mason M.

Reaction
I kind of asked the wrong question, i guess i was spacifically asking about the fabrication of the tubing. Sorry for the confusion. 15gs on just that alone?

BHollander

Reaction
Your ride is looking good man. Thanks for the quick response! . So material ~3k and the labor 10k-15k cool (for the tubing/plates) am i understanding that correctly? If so he was giving me a pretty close number.

Ya labor and tubing little plate here and there. I would get ahold of Gatlan Haddon on IG and see if he has something off the shelf to get you dialed. Thats what we did on my new truck. It saved a ton of time of scratching head and cycling.

jon coleman

Reaction
make sure its done like a building, all on paper, signed, contracts, late penalties, certain bencmarks met before payments, bla bla bla, Any shady things gonna happen its better to have an agreement On paper than a he said she said hand shake agreement

Mason M.

Reaction
Ya labor and tubing little plate here and there. I would get ahold of Gatlan Haddon on IG and see if he has something off the shelf to get you dialed. Thats what we did on my new truck. It saved a ton of time of scratching head and cycling.

So when you say "has something off the self to get dialed", we're talking about measurements the geometry and so on? So there might be some drafts/blueprints available?

Mason M.

Reaction
Who is the builder? Consider searching their name or look in here: Look out !

So from my understanding the guy I've been in contact with works out of shop in corpus christi Texas, he is the crew chief for Bevly Wilson Racing. I just recently found all this out because we've kind of been playing phone tag. He's a busy dude outside of the shop has a second job and manages to do all this. There's a team of guys that seem to have plenty of knowledge outside of the normal truck projects.

Mason M.

Reaction
make sure its done like a building, all on paper, signed, contracts, late penalties, certain bencmarks met before payments, bla bla bla, Any shady things gonna happen its better to have an agreement On paper than a he said she said hand shake agreement

Definitely going in with plan on paper, I'm not trying to get this done in a years worth of time. At some point (maybe when the rear is done) I'll come to a pause in the build make sure everything and everyone is payed. Then attack the front with the same idea.

Mason M.

Reaction
is there a written estimate of exactly what they are offering?

We have yet to meet in person, everything has been over the phone. No agreements to anything, just some questioning and some rough numbers thrown around. One of the last times i tried to contact him he was driving back to Texas from the Baja 500.

Zac Reish

Reaction
For anyone good and efficient you will pay a premium. Or you’ll pay less for good and in efficient, or you’ll pay less for average and inefficient. If you cheat out you’ll be disappointed. The more you pay the better it will be 90% of the time. Make sure you know what you want, have realistic goals and can afford it. The fact that your asking us tells me you don’t. Which is fine we all started somewhere.

jon coleman

Reaction
or,,,,,get a buzz box, chop saw,& an angle grinder, gloves & eye protection, and start building pre runner bumpers, next thing you know your building half a ml trophy trucks

Mason M.

Reaction
For anyone good and efficient you will pay a premium. Or you’ll pay less for good and in efficient, or you’ll pay less for average and inefficient. If you cheat out you’ll be disappointed. The more you pay the better it will be 90% of the time. Make sure you know what you want, have realistic goals and can afford it. The fact that your asking us tells me you don’t. Which is fine we all started somewhere.

Understood. Affording it wouldn't be too big of a deal, not to sound like an arrogant ahole. Though, that is over a little time. I'm not trying to have a complete build in a years worth of time or maybe even two?? Things are susceptible to change and I'm ok with that, as long as I'm avoid any unnecessary moves or go average like you said which the bigger picture of that is wasting money. This is why I'm question on here. I'm glad you all have responded so quickly and are sharing yalls knowledge.🤘