Tubing Notchers...

sirhk100

Reaction
What's the price range on a decent vice mounted notcher for home garge use? Nothing industrial... I'm assuming hole saw, drill powered style. Brands recommended? Where to get them? Any to avoid? Trying to get all the tools aquired so when I get the new ride I can actually get started on screwing it all up myself!!!! :)

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

1992f150

Reaction
JD, and protools should carry good notchers (150-200 bucks or so). I have a 30 dollar harbor freight notcher, I end up using a grinder insted most of the time. It doesnt notch quite on center, high about 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch. If you need to notch a short piece, or put a notch right next to a bend, the tube wont clamp up right and you can't notch it. On the short pieces, you can add on some extra tube and tack weld it, then it will clamp. The other problem is it will only notch to 45 degrees, most of the time I need an angle greater than this.
Oh one thing some (most?) notchers use a 1/2" shaft, so make sure the drill you want to use has a 1/2" chuck and not 3/8ths. Otherwise you can convert it with a new chuck for like 15 bucks.
http://www.off-road.com/chevy/jointjigger/notcher.html

Azusa: shame of the foothills

singlehanded

Reaction
Ive got a dezert tools ones was around 300 bucks.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

Justin

Reaction
Just call Fish at work tomorrow and he will set you up with a JD2 notcher

cleartoy

Reaction
Got my JD2 at Baja and LOVE IT.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Yup we got um in stock and can ship out tomorrow!

Go Big Or Go Home

tre5

Reaction
williams lowbuck tools sells a notcher for 300 bucks. the nice thing is its not a drill press deal. It is more like a shear, in that it has different size dies and you just stick the end of the tube in and pull down. One side at a time, but is still alot faster then a drill press. The only bad thing about it is that it is only good for close to 90 degrees.

Tre5

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, at work we have three different methods of notching. We use an abrasive setup like the pictures. We also have a punch setup probably similar to the one talked about above that we do our stainless on, except it's on a punch, not pulling a lever. Then I also setup our CNC mill to do some of our tubing depending on quantity and fixture availability...

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

1992f150

Reaction
yes they have some that are like a mill laid on its side....actually like a simple lathe, stick a mill flute bit into the chuck, then the tube gets clamped into where the tool post would go on a real lathe (compound slide?). You can set the degrees, and use 2 hand cranks to move the tube right and left, forward and back to make the notch. Alot cleaner, faster and quieter (and more expensive) than a hole saw type.

motoxscott

Reaction
So what do you think is the better setup, the abrasive or the lathe/mill setup ?

I've seen both but what are the pro's and con's to each ? Does one do something better than the other and vice versa ?

Both aren't cheap, thats for sure.

-Scott

1992f150

Reaction
Ive never used an abrasive one so I couldnt comment. The mill one is quiet though, no sparks, and you could do hundreds of notches on one cutting bit. You do need a different bit when you want to do a notch to fit up against a different size tube, so that would add to the cost. Im assuming the abrasive one you could just adjust it without buying anything, but maybe not.