Tubing Quality

Kenshiro

Reaction
Tube Quality

Hi..

Noob questions from Sweden,, bare with me.. I haven`t received my rule book yet, so i`m bouncing away some questions here..

When building a rollcage i have to use chromemoly tubing right ??

When welding the tubes in my build, do you have to use a TIG or will a MIG do it ??

When building "ears" on the tubing to mount your shox, are they also chromemoly ??

atomicjoe23

Reaction
You don't have to use chromemoly steel, you can use 1018, 1020, etc. DOM mild steel as well.

The welding process you use is dependent upon the material you select. . .although you can MIG chromemoly steel, the HAZ will be larger which will change the characteristics of more of the base metal than would TIG. I believe the reason that most people choose to TIG weld chromemoly rather than MIG weld it is because you have greater control over the amount of heat you are inputting into the material since most people seem to be using the same filler to TIG chromemoly as what most people use for filler wire in most MIG machines as well.

The part about TIG vs. MIG and why people choose TIG over MIG is purely my opinion based on what I have seen, heard, and what I learned about welding while I was in in welding school.

Kenshiro

Reaction
You don't have to use chromemoly steel, you can use 1018, 1020, etc. DOM mild steel as well.

The welding process you use is dependent upon the material you select. . .although you can MIG chromemoly steel, the HAZ will be larger which will change the characteristics of more of the base metal than would TIG. I believe the reason that most people choose to TIG weld chromemoly rather than MIG weld it is because you have greater control over the amount of heat you are inputting into the material since most people seem to be using the same filler to TIG chromemoly as what most people use for filler wire in most MIG machines as well.

The part about TIG vs. MIG and why people choose TIG over MIG is purely my opinion based on what I have seen, heard, and what I learned about welding while I was in in welding school.
Thanx,, i have a MIG in my garage..

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Re: Tube Quality

When building "ears" on the tubing to mount your shox, are they also chromemoly ??
Are you referring to putting a cage in a unibody car? If so, theres a minimum size for the plate that is between the cage and body. I don't remember the exact size off the top of My head though.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
I use 4130 or cr steel (cold rolled) for shock mounts .188" thick.. And mig is fine our chassis as well as a-arms are all mig welded.. Been 5 yrs in bitd class 1000, w/no problems.. Ive even stick welded 4130 w/7018 in a pinch @ the races.. Cuz the 110v mig welders dont put out enuf power...

mcidge

Reaction
Score rules:
Thickness of the double plates -one on either side is .187in.
Not sure about dimensions though

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I think if you look in the CORR rules they give dimension for the plates that they require. . .I know it's a different series, but it should give you a good idea of what to shoot for from a safety stand point so that the load is spread adequately.

Kenshiro

Reaction
Thanx guys.. I have a car in my garage that i will use as a test object when trying to build the front suspension..

When you build A-arms, is there any material that you use as a mockup ( don`t know if thets the right word for it ) Ex. build it in wood just for measuring it in right..

Linus..

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
Thanx guys.. I have a car in my garage that i will use as a test object when trying to build the front suspension..

When you build A-arms, is there any material that you use as a mockup ( don`t know if thets the right word for it ) Ex. build it in wood just for measuring it in right..

Linus..
i've used conduit, even slipping the heims in the end, and all welded. works great!!

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
What`s conduit..?
Conduit is the metal tubing used by electricians to run the wires in.. Its cheap and easy to work with..