• Forum membership has its advantages....

TUBING SIZE

JOSH

I Just went out and got 60' of 13/4" x 0.09" mild steel tubing. Is this stuff strong enough to use for a cage? What do the rule books say about Min. wall Thickness? ? ?

Thanks Guys

Josh

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Score says 0.120" min wall thickness for mild steel cage construction. 1.75" is right though.

Kris

"A man with a watch knows what time it is; with two watches, he is never sure" Joseph E. Shigley

mike_hinson

SCORE Rulebook has specifics for size and wall thickness by the weight of the vehicle in the rollcage section.

jeff

If you are building a super light chassis or just want to keep your project on a diet I can understand using thinner and more lightweight materials.... but the rollcage is designed to save your ass in case the worst happens. Does it make any sense to use thinner and/or less strong materials in something as important as the rollcage? If your head is worth $1.00 dollar go out and buy a $1.00 dollar helmet. It always amazes me when I see vehicles that are built with materials that are less than the absolute minimum required by sanctioning bodies.

And yes, the sanctioning bodies all have specific material requirments outlined in their rule books.

Aloha

singlehanded

What are the MDR rules, I thought it was 1 1/2 inch 120 wall but I heard they might be changing it to 1 3/4? Anybody know I would like to run my truck in the prerunner class if its legal. Josh I assume your not gonna be racing score, will your truck even be raced or are you just wondering for prerunner strength?

local

kurt

MDR follows the SCORE rule book for all classes, except a few exceptions for the street legal and sportsman classes. A.R.T.S - All Race Tech & Safety - should be able to clear up any questions.

JOSH

I TALKED TO DAN SMITH LAST NIGHT AND HE TOLD ME SCORE IS 13/4X.120 MIN. JEFF YOUR RIGHT I DON'T WANT TO SKIMP OUT ON MY CAGE. SEE I DIDN'T DO MY HOMEWORK AND THAT'S WHY I HAVE 60' OF .09 BUT WHAT THE HELL YOU LIVE AND YOU LEARN. oH YEAH THE TRUCK IS GOING TO BE RACED...I FINALLY GOT A SCORE RULE BOOK LAST NIGHT TOO....

THANKS GUYS
JOSH