tundra with icon CO's question

miguelitro

Reaction
My good friend Kory who runs the Scorpian Bay cantina and camping stopped in for a couple days with a 02 tundra 4x that he just put icons on with the stock upper arm. He left the lift as set by icon.

Now his inner cv boots are leaking grease from the inside clamp which feels really loose. The cv angles look to be fine, i had icons on my taco, and now have tundra cv's on my truck with a camburg kit and my cv's have more angle with no problems.

Icon said to do a diff drop but I have always been told they do nothing for the tacoma, is it different with the tundra?

Should we just get some hose clamps to tighten down the seal so it stops leaking?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

JMiller

Reaction
I would start with just replacing the loose clamp with something better to see it that fixes the problem if not then do a 1" diff drop.

Last edited:

BajaFand

Reaction
I had the same thing happen on my Tundra with ICON's and I was fine for five years before I eventually needed a new CV joint. This was also after 10,000+ unforgiving off-road miles this way. My CV's eventually stopped leaking and I never had a problem until a year ago, I also ran just about every one of those 10,000 miles in 4-Hi 100% of the time. I am not advocating this as good advice and you should probably go with what ICON has recommended, this is just how it worked for me. With the new CV joints and boots it hasn't leaked yet and now it is higher than it was before.

Kritter, how would shock length effect this CV issue if the coilovers are not maxed out on lift and there is still droop from ride height?

JMiller

Reaction
If the shocks are to long they will allow for more down travel then the CV's can take causing faster wear and possibly breaking them. This happens not at ride height but at full extension.

miguelitro

Reaction
we clamped them yesterday morning and sent him on his way to southern baja. I doubt the icons are too long as that company has a great reputation. I'm sure he will let me know how the trip home went tomorrow.
thanks
Mike

BajaFand

Reaction
You guys didn't use just regular style hose clamps that you tighten with a screwdriver, did you?

BajaFand

Reaction
If the shocks are to long they will allow for more down travel then the CV's can take causing faster wear and possibly breaking them. This happens not at ride height but at full extension.

Good point, but on these Toyota's the CV joints are not the limiting factor, the upper balljoints are. ICON (and the Burg's too I think) have spacers inside the shock the limit travel with the stock upper arms. If you get a UCA from TC, ICON, or Camburg those arms will give you an inch more travel and you can take the spacer out of your shocks to get that travel. Even at that point I believe the uniball becomes the limiting factor, I could be wrong about that though.

JMiller

Reaction
Good point, but on these Toyota's the CV joints are not the limiting factor, the upper balljoints are. ICON (and the Burg's too I think) have spacers inside the shock the limit travel with the stock upper arms. If you get a UCA from TC, ICON, or Camburg those arms will give you an inch more travel and you can take the spacer out of your shocks to get that travel. Even at that point I believe the uniball becomes the limiting factor, I could be wrong about that though.

Not sure on the tundra but on my FJ I run Icon's and you are right about stock UCA being the limiting factor, if you have after market UCA and the extended coil-overs (spacer removed) I believe the sway bar becomes the limiter then after that its real close between the CV and Uni-ball. I haven't had any issues with my CV's and I'm running no sway bar.

I do know that Icon's are top notch and they have done a lot of testing on them to get them perfect.

miguelitro

Reaction
correct about the spacer limiting down travel.
As an update- Kory said the truck handled fantastic with the icons, a deaver aal and bili's in the rear. He said it was very stable when going by semi trucks and felt awesome on the north road into san juanico. Next time you are at the cantina for a margi you can see it for yourself!
Thanks for the help.
Mike