Turbo 350 transmission temp - what is hot? What is not?

Iggle

Reaction
Hey guys,

I got a turbo 350 in my CJ5 that I only really drive out in glamis. It's got a full manual valve body and she runs around 180-190 until i start to really get on it and spin the tires and start sliding sideways through the dunes. Then she will jump up to about 210 and if I keep going it will go up to 220.

Is 210 too hot? I got the gauge sending unit drilled into the side of the pan. Is that a good place to be taking a reading of the fluid temp? If I put in a bigger pan that will add about 2 quarts of fluid how much will that drop my operating temp down if at all?

I guess my only other option is to add a cooler.

Thanks for the help.
Iggy

bigtex

Reaction
Your temp. is normal, nothing wrong with getting up to 220 or even 230, as long as your not always running that temp. you are safe. Where you have your sender is perfect, right in the pan. You could alway put a cooler on it but I would say save your money. My 2 cents.

Sparky

Reaction
Coolers are cheap. Try to keep it under 200.

Iggle

Reaction
Coolers are cheap. Try to keep it under 200.

Should I run a PWR style with shroud and fan? I figured that was the best option. A little pricier but better right?

racer56

Reaction
210 - 220 with the sending unit in the pan is fine. When you mount the probe in the pan it gets heat soaked and does not give you the exact temperature at that moment. If you were seeing those temperature after the cooler than that would be to hot.

07FJRog

Reaction
Should I run a PWR style with shroud and fan? I figured that was the best option. A little pricier but better right?

Get Setrab cooler and fan from summit or Jegs

Jess@HighAngle

Reaction
if it get's to 250 its a problem -over that stuff starts to melt and stick together -Jess