Turbo 400 done by Mogi Transmissions

Madjaz

Reaction
Hey guys,
I race what we call a frame car in South Africa which is similar to your class 1500. It runs a Ls1 motor imported from Australia as it has a higher hp than the one from the US. The guy we bought the car from says it has a mogi gearbox, which is a turbo 400 built by Ken Mogi from Mogi transmissions. It is apparently built for drag racing and has a manual valve body. The gearbox can handle 700 hp and our engine produces 400 hp.

The transmission has been working great for the last year but now the bands are starting to slip and heating up drastically. We want to rebuild the transmission completely but we are not sure on exactly the parts required, as we not sure what conversion mogi transmission did. Would any of you know who I can contact for more information on parts.

Also we run two oil coolers for the transmission running off the pump in the transmission. In my mind it should have an inline oil pump, but the guy I bought the car from says it is not necessary. The terrain we race is a lot more twisty and the transmission does a lot of work.

thanks.

lvzfyr

Reaction
Internet search

MOGI Transmissions
3836 Pierce St, Riverside, CA, 92503
(951) 688-1905

MTPyle

Reaction
We use Maximum Transmissions in Hasperia and they have been amazing. Super fair pricing and they know how to build TH400. You can send it to them.

we raced over 3500 race miles this year and our trans was super solid. They did some upgrades on ours that I think were the biggest improvements we have ever made to our truck.

oh and Maximum is one of the few that test every trans before it goes out to the customer. They have a shop truck with sensors and gauges they put all the trans in to test. Some days they put over 15 trans in and out of that truck to test. I think they have done over 20 in a day, that’s crazy. Haha.

Mike

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Ken retired a few years back. Rebuild should be just clutch's and bands.

A word of advice, do not use the trans for braking. dropping down a gear to get the back end out and set-up for a corner is a good way to kill them. Use your brakes and downshift when your ready to hit the skinny pedal.

jkkirk

Reaction
Trash the Turbo and put in an Albin. I had the same package you have and put in an Albin. Best thing I ever did for my car!

johndjmix

Reaction
Culhane has never let us down. We ship the trans to them and they ship it back.

Fair price and no matter what we do we can’t get it over 200 deg.

We consider it part of our do well book!

—john