turbos allowed in SCORE for 2015 and beyond???

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
I know it has been talked about plenty, as they have been legal in BITD for a couple years......does anyone KNOW the facts???? I have heard YES, but its not in print anywhere......opinions???

JoeyD23

Reaction
I know it's irrelevant to many here but it's a discussion in the UTV class too since Can-Am introduced a Factory Turbo Maverick. BITD accepted it into the pro class there for 2015.

Jimmy8

Reaction
I know it's irrelevant to many here but it's a discussion in the UTV class too since Can-Am introduced a Factory Turbo Maverick. BITD accepted it into the pro class there for 2015.
Its a sad day when you have to lead with "I know it's irrelevant" and you are talking about one of off-road's biggest classes and the one with the most manufacturer involvement. Keep killing it Joey D.

Short Bus

Reaction
I think it could be helpful in attracting some different manufacturers that don't have their own big inch V8s. A turbo VQ V6 Nissan or a German marque with a smaller turbo V8 would be interesting.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
I think it could be helpful in attracting some different manufacturers that don't have their own big inch V8s. A turbo VQ V6 Nissan or a German marque with a smaller turbo V8 would be interesting.
I KNOW a BONE STOCK turbo v6 runs pretty good .....cant imagine what a full blown race engine would be like.....

standfast

Reaction
I think they should be for sure. It's an unlimited class right? I actually curious about the effectiveness of turbo diesels in a proper TT. With ever increasing tire sizes, torque is helpful at keeping the pinion gear manageable. Producing torque efficiently with turbo diesels could increase range significantly enough to eliminate a refueling. That may already be legal since the Dakar Touregs were able to do it not long ago. I think I remember reading about a class 1 giving the Duramax a go. Could be a hell of a way at gaining factory interest.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
More horsepower for less money, no way that works out. The very premise of more for less money goes against every natural law of any form of motorsports. More rules, now that's what's needed, nothing creates a money pit like rules.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I think they should be for sure. It's an unlimited class right? I actually curious about the effectiveness of turbo diesels in a proper TT. With ever increasing tire sizes, torque is helpful at keeping the pinion gear manageable. Producing torque efficiently with turbo diesels could increase range significantly enough to eliminate a refueling. That may already be legal since the Dakar Touregs were able to do it not long ago. I think I remember reading about a class 1 giving the Duramax a go. Could be a hell of a way at gaining factory interest.
I was told (by Rick Geiser during the 2012 Baja 1000) that the Geiser Bros had a customer lined up to have them build a Duramax powered Geiser TT, but the customer backed out at the last minute... I would love to see someone with a Duramax in a properly set up TT!!! The engine is very similar in size and weight to a BBC and can make 600 HP/1100 lbs/ft of torque in stock configuration with bolt-ons and 1100 HP/1700+ TQ in built trim!!! They are also a very efficient engine that would probably yield something close to 10 MPG in race trim so it could run a smaller lighter fuel cell and run standard pit distances or run a standard size fuel cell and extend the pit distances.

Other advantages of running diesel fuel is that it is MUCH less flammable than gas and MUCH cheaper than RACE fuel!!!! You could run your race truck from fuel from the local Pemex!!!!

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
I was told (by Rick Geiser during the 2012 Baja 1000) that the Geiser Bros had a customer lined up to have them build a Duramax powered Geiser TT, but the customer backed out at the last minute... I would love to see someone with a Duramax in a properly set up TT!!! The engine is very similar in size and weight to a BBC and can make 600 HP/1100 lbs/ft of torque in stock configuration with bolt-ons and 1100 HP/1700+ TQ in built trim!!! They are also a very efficient engine that would probably yield something close to 10 MPG in race trim so it could run a smaller lighter fuel cell and run standard pit distances or run a standard size fuel cell and extend the pit distances.

Other advantages of running diesel fuel is that it is MUCH less flammable than gas and MUCH cheaper than RACE fuel!!!! You could run your race truck from fuel from the local Pemex!!!!
we just won the Baja 1000 on Pemex.....premium, but still straight from the Pemex station....

Chris Tobin

Reaction
we just won the Baja 1000 on Pemex.....premium, but still straight from the Pemex station....
Awesome!!!! I still want to see someone do it on Pemex Diesel!!!! I hope to do it, but wouldn't mind if someone does it before we do!!!

Chas Moore

Reaction
What happened to these?

• 2 – Veh #200-249 (Unlimited open-wheel, car/truck, 3.6-Liter Turbo or supercharged)
  • 2.D – Veh #250-299 (Unlimited open-wheel, car/truck, 3.6-Liter Diesel Turbo or supercharged)

Chris Tobin

Reaction
We won the 2012 Baja 1000 in RPM Offroad's Class 2 truck... I believe it has been converted to a TTSpec truck with a V8 to replace the Cadillac Turbo V6 that was in it back then.

Chas Moore

Reaction
I think they ran the dakar touaregs at the 500 in a special class, but the v12 tdi twins were for sure in TT class.

MCM MOTORSPORTS

Reaction
I KNOW a BONE STOCK turbo v6 runs pretty good .....cant imagine what a full blown race engine would be like.....
They get anywhere from 800 - 1000 hp over here in Australia. Plenty of development though. We have been able to run 3.5 litre twin turbo for some time now. Pretty sure one of the old champions over here made 1000 hp on Motec's dyno.

slicric

Reaction
The argument of it being cheaper to build an engine for unlimited use is dumb..Allowing Turbos and superchargers in Trophy trucks and class 1 is only going to drive the cost up. The Engines will still have all the expensive parts still in them for reliability.. now add turbo, inter-cooler, fabrication labor and increased drive train costs on top of that. No one that is serious about racing for the win is gong to leave stock parts in their Ecoboost and go after 900hp to compete with Menzies, Mcmillin, Jones, Tsco, BJ, Eugenio.... unless they are factory backed. But I say bring it... its UNLIMTED right? The things will be insane HP if they let them uncork them.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Awesome!!!! I still want to see someone do it on Pemex Diesel!!!! I hope to do it, but wouldn't mind if someone does it before we do!!!
BlueDog reminded me that Several Teams have raced and finished the 1000 on Pemex diesel already including Kent Kroker and the RPM Offroad guys!!! Sorry I was not thinking clearly and got excited and posted before thinking...