Turning Brake

jcarius

Reaction
Folks,

OK, so I've read the SCORE rule book a couple times and it seems sort of ambiguous on the subject of turning brakes in 9 cars. Our car came with one, but I've been told that it's not legal (though no one has protested it). The BITD rule book is pretty clear - it's not allowed - but then again, there are no 9 cars running BITD!.

Any help would be appreciated ...

Thanks!

Jim & Vanessa
VORRA 955

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Your best bet would be to call Bill Savage (Score technical director) (760)599-1013. Thats a good question and I don't see as to why they wouldn't allow it. But?? Please post the answer when you do find out!!

jcarius

Reaction
Thanks for the Phone Number

According to Bill Savage, they _are_ allowed. Yet another place where the organizations differ ...

Jim

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Something that has been brought to my attention and I want to pass this on.---

Whatever you've been "told" (via Bill Savage), whether it be over the phone or in person, get the answer IN WRITING. that way there is no confusion. A little "C.Y.A." may be your only defense if a situation should arise!....

jcarius

Reaction
Yep - my intention was to confirm our conversation in writing and ask Bill to fax it back to me with a signiture.

You never know.

Thanks!

Jim

Protech975

Reaction
Hey Guys!
Thought I would through a wrench in the mix! My question would be" Except for Sand Dunes and possibly a short course track, Why would you want a turning brake in a Desert Race Car?"
I have driven a car with a turning (cutting) brake and ya they do make you turn on a dime! but also at the cost of speed, they are after all a "brake"...
Also I tried to think of the number of very sharp turns on any given race track, and could not think of one! where a cutting brake would help in any way...
I do know of an instance where a driver was being passed on a track in a sand wash and the driver did not see the other car passing on the right "Bad move" so when he did and used the turning brake to get out of the way, his car turned so sharp and un-naturaly sudden that the passing car could not avoid a collision!
If there are any Pro's I would like to here them! Thanks and see you at the races Rob Stapp

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
I guess it would depend on the courses that each particular series runs. The series in which I race has a couple of shorter Gran Prix style races. Small laps, grouped by class. I can think of several situations that a turning brake would have helped. Switch backs, graded roads with sharp turns,etc.
It may just be how that particular car is set up. Their car may work a little better with the help of a turning brake (especially if it's a two seater?).
I can see where it could get you in trouble though also. That's why they're supposed to be used as a "secondary" brake.

jcarius

Reaction
In the VORRA series where we're running, there are 6 short course races during the year. These are 8 lap races held on a 1 mile course with a couple _very_ tight turns, and the folks using tunring brakes seem to find them useful. Besides - the brake came with the car, so I wanted to make sure it was legal ...

Jim