Tweakers stealing catalytic converter

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
People, be on the look out for 4 tweakers from Bakersfield are now in Oxnard stealing catalytic converters.
This morning as I was working on my house windows, I heard a noise out front. Went to see if someone needed help.
Instead I find a silver Chrysler Pacifica Voyager van with 2 tweakers in the front seat and 2 more under my '01 F250 with sazalls cutting off my catalytic converter. Guess I got there just in time as the bailed and left the converter on the ground when I started yelling at them. I slammed one in the door and got a good picture of the back of the van. Called the cops but it probably wont go far.
But the did say the plates were from bakersfield. 4 males in their mid to late 20s. Looked like tweakers.
They are running around oxnard area as of today.
20200712_093910.jpg

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
At my exhaust shop today getting the cat welded back in. Seems I'm number5 today that got hit just at their shop.

coolerking

Reaction
I think I see the plate there..sure hope the PD can use the latest technology to find them and pound them in the head with a blunt object.....damn why are these photos always sooo blurry?
All kidding aside, good to hear you kept the part and got it fixed.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
How much does the cat cost to replace it? If it is under 900 bucks, cops don't care anymore. Not a felony. Thanks Newsome!

jeff

Reaction
The June of 2019 tags is probably a bigger offense than stealing a CAT at this point. The registration penalty (impound?) is worth more to the CHP than the local 5-oh. My CHP buddies always tell me... CA Registration is what pays our salaries ;) The general tickets go to the local city or county where the stop occurs.

Aloha

jon coleman

Reaction
weld a length of muffler hanger stock ( 5/16" pencil rod)on top of exhaust pipe, where ever a sawzall blade can access, blades hit weld, then are ruined, my buddy Andy does them allot for missing cats, ( Andy's muffler, .f 150 cat from dealer in the thousands i bet

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
Guy posted in one of my other groups the cat is $2400 from Ford, but they dont carry them anymore.
Magnaflow has them for a grand.
Luckily my exhaust shop was able to weld it back in. $100 bucks.

Blood Eagle

Class Act
Reaction
The plate matches the vehicle which is a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica 3.5 V6. So the plates aren't stolen or anything. But yes 6 months out of date reg is automatic impound. Pretty ballsy for them to be driving it around especially 2 hours from home. But tweakers gonna tweaker.

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
Well since I posted this, they have tried 2 more times to get my CAT. Once a 9PM, and recently at 3AM. Both times we interrupted them.
So getting tired of this poop, I designed and had a buddy fan up a skid plate for me that goes frame rail to frame rail and is 4 feet long. No way to get to the CAT now to cut it out. And if the cut the exhaust on either side of the plate, it still wont come out. 😁
I want to paint a big finger on the plate for them to see when they climb under it again, which I know they will.
20210304_100048.jpg
20210304_145110.jpg

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Well since I posted this, they have tried 2 more times to get my CAT. Once a 9PM, and recently at 3AM. Both times we interrupted them.
So getting tired of this poop, I designed and had a buddy fan up a skid plate for me that goes frame rail to frame rail and is 4 feet long. No way to get to the CAT now to cut it out. And if the cut the exhaust on either side of the plate, it still wont come out. 😁
I want to paint a big finger on the plate for them to see when they climb under it again, which I know they will.View attachment 223913View attachment 223914
Well done Sir!!

43mod

Reaction
I know where there are plenty of them that weigh 40-150 lbs each . Thats w out housings . Easy to get to . In bakersfield . Dont tell the tweakers .

mgobaja

Reaction
Neighbors ford chassis V10 motorhome got hit a few weeks back. $1800 to replace the catalytic converter. I encouraged him to have the exhaust shop weld a piece of 3/4" rebar along the length of the exhaust where they could, would slow down the cutting process a bit at least.