Two men rescued in Baja - buggy still missing

High4

Reaction
Hello RaceDezert Familia,

Over the last several days, a group of my friends has been through a harrowing experience down in Baja.

Last Saturday morning, they departed San Felipe for the day. Most were riding bikes, and two were in a buggy. Sometime around 3 p.m., the group was separated, losing contact with the two men in the buggy. Search and communication efforts yielded no results, and the remaining group returned to San Felipe to further coordinate and broaden search efforts.

Late Sunday night, a family member in the US received a notification on their phone; one missing man’s phone appeared on the “Find My Friends” app they were using. They passed the GPS data to the search team, who deployed to the location. The search team located the first man immediately, and the second man shortly thereafter. Both men were dehydrated and suffering from exhaustion and exposure, but are expected to make a full recovery. They are currently recuperating in San Felipe and expecting to return stateside soon.

Unfortunately, through the ordeal, the two men became separated from their vehicle. Upon their rescue, they provided the approximate location of the buggy. The team went out on Monday to locate and retrieve the vehicle, but couldn’t find it.

The crew departed Highway 5 in San Felipe, travelling east on the newly paved road, past the Zoo Road crossing. When they arrived at (what I know as) Morelia Junction, they turned left at the split, and continued south approximately sixteen miles. They expected to find the buggy on or near the road, several miles northwest of the west end of Huatamote Wash. Not seeing it, they continued to the ranchos at the southern end of the road, then doubled back when the road ran out.

Obviously, the safe recovery of the men is what really matters. I spoke with the son of one of men after their recovery and he said “I got my Dad back. That’s all I care about.”

Nevertheless, as I sat on my couch in San Diego, wishing I could do more for them, I thought of the RaceDezert community. As pre running for the 500 approaches and more people head south, I figured it can’t hurt to spread the word. Maybe someone will spot the missing buggy somewhere. Apparently, the vehicle was built by the man that was driving it Saturday. It’s been in their family for many years.

Thank you RaceDezert!

IMG_0474.jpg

ehall

Reaction
Dont see many old school buggies anymore. Should be easy to spot.

PaulW

Reaction
Now trying to contact the Search and Rescue (Jeep club) guys in San Felipe. They always help in these situations. Not many still there in the summer, but I am sure some full timers will respond.
Send me the location with coordinates of where the two guys were found so the local Jeep guys can get the general location for the buggy search.
Paul

Last edited:

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Glad everyone is ok. Going south from Morelia Junction in the summer is no man's land it was a very bad idea with no satellite communication of some sort.. There are so many cheap satellite trackers out there everyone should get one, not just one per group..

High4

Reaction
Now trying to contact the Search and Rescue (Jeep club) guys in San Felipe. They always help in these situations. Not many still there in the summer, but I am sure some full timers will respond.
Send me the location with coordinates of where the two guys were found so the local Jeep guys can get the general location for the buggy search.
Paul
Sent.

High4

Reaction
Glad everyone is ok. Going south from Morelia Junction in the summer is no man's land it was a very bad idea with no satellite communication of some sort.. There are so many cheap satellite trackers out there everyone should get one, not just one per group..
Thanks. I agree with your observation about that area in summer.

I believe they were coming South off Diablo, and missed the turn to the East at Morelia Junction, which would have taken them back into town on the new pavement.No easy way back to town south of that junction.

Honda48X

Reaction
Thanks. I agree with your observation about that area in summer.

I believe they were coming South off Diablo, and missed the turn to the East at Morelia Junction, which would have taken them back into town on the new pavement.No easy way back to town south of that junction.
Always have a GPS unit with you. Mark your turns on your GPS with notes. I do that and I'm on a bike, Handheld Garmin GPS has saved me many times.

Reaction
Most consumer GPS units will let you create a digital "bread crumb" trail of your path as you go, hands-free.

ehall

Reaction
Find out where they were picked up and follow the footprints if the wind hasnt covered them. Probably be the only footprints out there. I once tracked 2 horses on pavement, in the dark for 7 miles. It can be done.

High4

Reaction
Hi Everyone,

Good news. The car was recovered last night. Apparently, a local rancher had secured the car on his property, placing it such that it was behind his fence but within view of someone searching for it.

The car and equipment were all intact. Very kind of the rancher to watch out for the interests of strangers. One of the reasons I love Baja.

Thank You to PaulW, who assisted in informing local people on the ground in SF.

Reaction
Glad to hear it!

Bad roads make for good people.

lakelaurashawn

Reaction
I was taught that years ago: Good roads, bad people, bad road, good people. Still holds true

Such a true statement. There are roadside fires, couches and tires all along the good roads! Whereas the bad roads have great views, long driveways to villas and an occasional farmer with an ear to ear smile