type 1 rear bearings

westtexasbaja

Reaction
Help, I'm in a bind. Trying to get ready for a race this saturday.....

I bought new tatum rear disk brake hubs, T1 stubs, bearings, spacer kit, seals, nuts, everything is new. Left side went together fine. Its tight but it feels like its from just being new. The right side went together fine but when I tighten the axle nut everything gets VERY tight. Almost takes 2 hands to turn the hub. The old parts are all stock vw and never had a problem with binding. If I loosen the axle nut and tap on the end of the stub axle it starts to turn easier (like the left side). I tapped on the inner ball bearing and it feels/sounds like it is seated (the cir-clip is in place). Outer roller is seated as well. With stub installed and no hub or nut, the axle will almost spin freely.

Did I get a bad inner spacer? Too short? Too long?

Thanks,
Grayson

Fourstroker

Reaction
Help, I'm in a bind. Trying to get ready for a race this saturday.....

I bought new tatum rear disk brake hubs, T1 stubs, bearings, spacer kit, seals, nuts, everything is new. Left side went together fine. Its tight but it feels like its from just being new. The right side went together fine but when I tighten the axle nut everything gets VERY tight. Almost takes 2 hands to turn the hub. The old parts are all stock vw and never had a problem with binding. If I loosen the axle nut and tap on the end of the stub axle it starts to turn easier (like the left side). I tapped on the inner ball bearing and it feels/sounds like it is seated (the cir-clip is in place). Outer roller is seated as well. With stub installed and no hub or nut, the axle will almost spin freely.

Did I get a bad inner spacer? Too short? Too long?

Thanks,
Grayson
Check to make sure both spacers are the same length with a micrometer. Also make that the back of the hub is not rubbing on the 4 bearing cap bolts. I have had that happen before.

westtexasbaja

Reaction
Check to make sure both spacers are the same length with a micrometer. Also make that the back of the hub is not rubbing on the 4 bearing cap bolts. I have had that happen before.
Spacers are good. It ended up being the seals. Put everything together with no seals and it free-wheels forever...

Just need to run it.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Good stuff Grayson. Kick some butt this weekend

westtexasbaja

Reaction
Good stuff Grayson. Kick some butt this weekend
Thanks man. I rolled it this weekend. :eek: Whole right side of the beam was bent back about 2 inches. Split the lower beam tube at the end of the bushing. Bent tie rod and thru-rods as well. We spent almost 3 hours heating, bending and fixing. Made 1 more lap but did not have time to finish.

Brakes did great. I could tell I lost a little power from the seals dragging. These new stub axles are a lot more concave than the old ones. We made sure the seals are seated all the way. After 3 laps the seals were not hot and they were still in place.

Is it possible to put a shim between the bell and the inboard spacer? That would move the bell inward and keep all the spacers in place. But it would shorten the splines for the hub....