• Forum membership has its advantages....

UFO Fabrication Class1 suspension

ufofab

IMG_3563.JPG
new here,first post, so if its in the wrong spot then delete.

just wanted to introduce our shop and show some of our work that may be of interest to the desert crowd.

we typically only do Ultra4 cars.. but our newest car uses a rear suspension design that we actually designed for class 1. we are really happy with how its performing so far. our ultimate goal is to find someone who will let us build this out in a class1. enjoy.

RanchoPacific Motorsports

I saw this car at KOH and it was doing very good the first lap. Right after i saw some pictures of it I wanted to change the front of my Dana 50 TTB to a setup like this.

MAC FAB

What is the track width and what kind of wheel travel are you getting out of this? Front engine or V drive? Hard to tell from the pic. Very creative I must say, using an offset rear end that pivots in the center and at the hubs. Do you do the same up front for the U4/KOH rigs? I build RC stuff, you got my wheels turning.....

Dirty Harry

Amazing work Joe! I've been impressed with the innovative stuff you have built for the Gomez brothers and the fact that it stands up to their abuse. I'd love to see what you would build for a pure desert race!

43mod

I would certainly let you build me a class 1. Need it by Nov 1st please . Will start saving EBT cards now.
Very neat work.

Chris Tobin

Would shock valving and spring rates need to be different left to right to adjust for the weight differences of the "control arms"???

Chris Tobin

I don't think the spring rates would need to be different, maybe valving for rebound because of the additional weight.
Yes, I'm wondering how much at all effect it has since it is unsprung weight??? Might not make enough of a difference to even notice...

scottm

Wow interesting. What kind of axle shaft magic is happening on the inboard side of the diff?

Chris Tobin

Wow interesting. What kind of axle shaft magic is happening on the inboard side of the diff?
Judging by the photo, it looks like an RCV connects direct to the output of the diff...

Dezertpilot

Love the outside the box thinking!

isdtbower

JoeThompsonGomezCenterCV.jpg
I don't think Joe anticipated the interest. He is busy!! Lets see if I can help.

The single picture does not even come close to showing "how it works." Basically it is two LONG lower a-arms pivoting parallel near the center of the car. The two pivots are about as wide as the center double ended 30series size CV, special made by RCV (Maybe 8" or so). The height of the pivots are at the CV center...so the lower arms are actually at axle/half shaft height. The lower arms go out to the upright and pivots horizontally (holding the toe) also thru the CV center. This minimizes or eliminates plunge, and keeps the arms up as high as possible.
The right or "passenger" side arm contains the driving differential (visible in the picture.) The lower Arm also controls braking torque and differential torque on the right side. The inner pivot is maybe 4 feet long to control these forces, and a sway bar helps to equilibrate those forces side-to-side. With the inboard parallel pivots the toe is always inline with the chassis. All these parts are Beefy!
The Diff location and pivots start the confusion with a TTB, but different also is the upright has a top single link to control camber like a simple double Arm.

To suspend all of this, Joe did not move too far from what is known good. Each arm has a "common" trailing link with shocks and bypasses at about a 50% ratio. It is firmly mounted to the upright end with a spherical bearing but the forward-frame end is held with a shackle which independently moves as the lower arm stuffs and droops. Pretty unique and probably allowed them to find shock and spring tuning quickly..

A few of us have had time to see some of the videos from KOH and the car definitely seems different from others in acceleration. It accels forward without lifting or diving the front end. All with minimal wheel spin. It just goes. Different from Desert maybe is weight ratio. KOH cars are usually 50/50, and this one weighed in at 49/51.

Several have worked at moving the lower arms up to the half shaft height. And this may be a way around $30k centers with close CV's. Lots of merit in the thought and fabrication here..