Uh-oh, his heart was racing

Reaction
NASCAR: Mayfield again tests positive for meth

25 minutes ago

By JENNA FRYER AP Auto Racing Writer

NASCAR said Jeremy Mayfield once again tested positive for methamphetamine and asked the federal judge who lifted the driver’s drug suspension to reinstate the ban.

The positive result from a July 6 random test was included in a U.S. District Court filing Wednesday that included an affidavit from Mayfield’s stepmother, who claimed she personally witnessed the driver using methamphetamine at least 30 times over seven years.

“Because Mr. Mayfield’s repeated and confirmed use of methamphetamine violates NASCAR’s Substance Abuse Policy, and because NASCAR must be permitted to protect the safety of its drivers, crews, and fans, as well as the integrity of the sport, defendants respectfully request that the court … reinstate NASCAR’s suspension of Mr. Mayfield,” NASCAR wrote in its filing.

Mayfield was suspended May 9 for failing a random drug test conducted eight days earlier. NASCAR later said he tested positive for methamphetamines, but Mayfield has denied ever using the illegal drug.

He sued, and U.S. District Court Judge Graham Mullen issued an injunction July 1 that allowed Mayfield to return to competition.

Mullen based his decision on Mayfield’s argument that the testing system is flawed and there was a reasonable likelihood of a false positive. He also gave NASCAR the right to test Mayfield at any time.

NASCAR did just that July 6 at Mayfield’s home and said in its filings that the “A” sample had levels of methamphetamine consistent with habitual users who consume high doses.

The filing also claims Mayfield and his attorneys have failed to select a qualified laboratory to test the backup “B” sample.

But more damaging is an affidavit from Lisa Mayfield, who said she married Mayfield’s father in a 2003 ceremony immediately following Mayfield’s marriage to his wife, Shana.

Lisa Mayfield said she first saw the driver use meth in 1998 at a race shop in Mooresville, N.C. She said Mayfield cooked his own drugs until the ingredient pseudoephedrine was taken off the shelves and it became too difficult for Mayfield to obtain the ingredients.

She said her stepson then began to purchase meth from others.

“Between 1998 and 2005, I am personally aware that Jeremy used methamphetamines often,” she said in her affidavit. “I was concerned about his heavy use and talked to his father about it. I saw Jeremy use methamphetamine by snorting it up his nose at least 30 times during the 7 years I was around him. Jeremy used methamphetamine not only in my presence, but also when we were both in the presence of others.”

Lisa Mayfield said the driver told her he used meth before a season-ending NASCAR awards ceremony while driving for Ray Evernham. She also said Mayfield used meth during a 1999 trip to Myrtle Beach that preceded a race at nearby Darlington Raceway.

“We left Myrtle Beach and traveled to Darlington for the race,” she wrote. “I saw Jeremy using methamphetamine again when we reached Darlington.”

RGFan

Reaction
Gotta love a step mom like that............No matter if what she said is true or not, in the court of public opinion, Nascar took the upper hand in all of this in one day.

OffroadExit

Pistol Pete's Personal Pot Stirrer
Reaction
This is definetly gonna get good!!

michael_loomis

Reaction
Damn those ceiling fans! You'd think he'd learn by now! Walk into a room and the wind blows it right off the bar, into his nose!!

His complexion doesn't look like a tweaker... but his eyes do..

Mumzy

Reaction
:eek:Trailer Trash :eek:

He should just go away. How in the world can he expect to obtain any sponsor after the language he has been using toward NASCAR and others. Better yet, how could he ever expect to get a fair shake competitivlly after blasting the sanctioning body of the arena he seeks to compete in?

Idiot....true Idiot!

Tundranation

Reaction
He's a loser ......if he can't see his own problems .....nobody can help him ! :rolleyes:

randy1123

Reaction

He should just go away. How in the world can he expect to obtain any sponsor after the language he has been using toward NASCAR and others. Better yet, how could he ever expect to get a fair shake competitivlly after blasting the sanctioning body of the arena he seeks to compete in?

Idiot....true Idiot!
This is sad, and too much drama. What a true liar.
This will only bring down the Nascar rep, and he should just go away.

CharlieIII

Reaction
Keep diggin' your own grave Mr. Mayfield, your're doing a helluva job so far...

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction

Idiot....true Idiot!
He's a tweaker, what do you expect? A sure sign of an addict is denial and to lay blame on others. In Mayfield's defence, if even half of what his "evil stepmom" says is true, How could those on the team not notice any change in his behavior or any ill physical effects and not say or do anything?

Now I'm not at all familiar with Mayfield's history as a driver, but how many teams did he drive for within the timespan of 1998-2005.

randy s

Reaction
i think it's too bad and i hope he comes around. it's easy to fall to the pressure of using it to stay awake to get things done. very hard to put it down. good luck with that part jeremy. you seem like a nice guy.

Tipracer

Reaction
god to have the chance that he has and to blow it like that ...FAIL

michael_loomis

Reaction
His team gm that just resigned claimed he was definately not a user. He is a former cop too.

Reaction
His team gm that just resigned claimed he was definately not a user. He is a former cop too.
Maybe, but I'm thinking he's toast for trying to buck the France family:

[Although he said he has no proof, Mayfield claimed that NASCAR paid Lisa Mayfield for her affidavit... In blasting NASCAR, he went straight for the top -- chairman Brian France.

"Brian France talking about effective drug programs is like having Al Capone talking about effective law enforcement," Mayfield said.] - from the ESPN report.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Ya, I agree with ya there. Nascar brass does NOT like to be bullied or insulted.

RGFan

Reaction
If Mayfield is a tweaker, he is one put together tweaker. I have never ever seen a tweaker who has his crap together like Mayfield seems to. With that being said, is it really a stretch to think that nascrap would be arrogant enough to try to flame this guy by any means possible. Look at the crap they have pulled on the track in front of the cameras in the past. Look at the way the have bullied RG through the years. Paying off a trailer queen to talk shiot and having only one laboratory test the guys urine with no chain of custody to protect the sample.........Sounds like there is alot of room left for Nascar to try the shenanigans they have been accused of. One thing is for sure.......This is going to court and while I have never ever been a fan of Mayfield on the track I hope he is clean as he states. And if he is truly clean, I hope he sinks Nascar and exposes them for what they are.

The defemation of character case alone would be worth 10's of millions if not 100's of millions. If he is dirty, I hope the guy can get the help he needs before he loses everything he has worked so hard to earn through the years.

Reaction
Waddya gonna do? The France family is the Royalty of NASCAR, it's their business, what they say goes.

Whoa!!!!! Debris on the track! Yellow Flag! We'll be back to green right after some kind words from our sponsors. Stay tuned!

randy s

Reaction
by the nature of the sport in general with all the pressures associated with running at that level, i guarantee that mayfield isn't the only crankster gangster in nascar. without knowing anyone personally, it wouldn't shock me to hear that some of the elite in the sport take a little "snootzie" from time to time. i'd be willing to bet that usage in nascar is fairly widespread just as it is in most sports. maybe more. theres' not much commentary coming from the nascar garage area peanut gallery. imagine that.

dezertranger1600

Reaction
lmao!