Ultimate Class 3 Photo Thread

toddz

Reaction
Please do. I will pass it on to Kenny. Any idea what happened to the wing?

Here's the pic. '87 Great Mojave 250. I have another picture somewhere of it coming head-on at the camera - I think with all 4 wheels off the ground.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 345

Class3Fan

Reaction
Here's a few shots of Don Coffland's CJ7 from the HDRA Coors Off Road Championships at Pikes Peak Meadows in Colorado. This would have been in September 1981.

Attachments

• Pits001Coffland.jpg
    Pits001Coffland.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 398
  • Pits002Coffland.jpg
    Pits002Coffland.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 321
  • Practice43Coffland.jpg
    Practice43Coffland.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 301

toddz

Reaction
any body remember these guys? Don Coffland/ Buck Griffin?

I remember the names and that they drove a Jeep, but not much else. I'm trying to recall where they were from? Tuba City Truck Stop is an interesting sponsor since there isn't really...umm....much in Tuba City, certainly not anything related to off road racing. Dunbar Spring, shown on the truck in the earlier photos, is here in Phoenix.

Todd Z.

Race Whore

Reaction
Here's the pic. '87 Great Mojave 250. I have another picture somewhere of it coming head-on at the camera - I think with all 4 wheels off the ground.

Todd Z.

Todd Clement just wanted his name more visable for the pic. Haha, hope you read this Todd C.

Race Whore

Reaction
Glad to see a early Bronco running at the Mint 400 last weekend. Dave Shoppe's name on the door made it even better.

jmnjohn

Reaction
dave dident get to drive .... he was gonna drive the last lap with his old co-driver tony becker ...... we broke the eng on the 2nd lap ........ he now has the bug agan .... we are looking for a class 8 ford truck.............. thx john ..

jmnjohn

Reaction
dave was going to drive the last lap but the bronco killed the eng on the 2nd lap........... dave now has the bug agan we are looking for a class 8 ford truck..........thx john ..

jmnjohn

Reaction
The plan was for dave shoppe to drive the last lap in the bronco but it killed the eng on the 2nd lap ......... But now that we got dave back out there he has the race bug agan and we are gonna buy a class 8 ford (if anyone knows of a nice one let me know) ........... Thx john ..

Race Whore

Reaction
The plan was for dave shoppe to drive the last lap in the bronco but it killed the eng on the 2nd lap ......... But now that we got dave back out there he has the race bug agan and we are gonna buy a class 8 ford (if anyone knows of a nice one let me know) ........... Thx john ..

The Bronco looked good at the FFF car show last weekend. I did my best to talk them into racing the Snore Plaster City race. Sounds like a points chacer now.

jmnjohn

Reaction
I just talked to them the plan is to race may 21 @ the lucerne valley race 500 miles 7 laps dave will drive the 1st lap ................john ..

IGOBAJA2

Reaction
Great pictures Wes, takes me way back. Here is a pic of my old Jeep 344. It started as a CJ7 and was a copy of Don Tobias' (402 above). After a role in '87 it was rebuilt as a Scrambler. This pic is September of 2009 while Ox and I (Fandango) are headed west over the pass of the best Wendover course ever. It runs as a 4400 now and its getting a new engine for this season.
I built that Jeep for Don after finishing Russels Jeep. That why they are so similar. When Don retired it I got it from him then Adams bought it. We ran Pikes Peak with it with a monstor AMC motor with dual predators on a tunnel ram. Following year converted into a scrambler. Ran Pikes Peak again,then ran the HDRA short course series. Far as I know he still has it.

Class3Fan

Reaction
I built that Jeep for Don after finishing Russels Jeep. That why they are so similar. When Don retired it I got it from him then Adams bought it. We ran Pikes Peak with it with a monstor AMC motor with dual predators on a tunnel ram. Following year converted into a scrambler. Ran Pikes Peak again,then ran the HDRA short course series. Far as I know he still has it.

Here's some photos of that former Don Tobias driven Warren Baird-built rig in the hands of Don Adams on Pikes Peak. The first shot is at Pikes Peak in '83 -- a scanned photo from the next year's program -- and it's still carrying the same paint job Tobias had. The next photo is one I shot in '84 after it had been stretched into a Scrambler and had the more familiar Don Adams paint job on it. After running open wheelers the next two years and a stock car in 1987, Adams ran the Scrambler again in '88, and both my old man and I shot it. It had an updated nose on it then.

Attachments

• 83PPIHCdonadams0001.jpg
    83PPIHCdonadams0001.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 84PPHCAdams.jpg
    84PPHCAdams.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 88PPHCadams1KV.jpg
    88PPHCadams1KV.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 293
  • 88PPHCadams2KV.jpg
    88PPHCadams2KV.jpg