Uneventful Baja 500...kinda

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
This years 500 was probably one of the best in years. Seems like a lot of the rif raf stayed home (not all) and the event went off pretty smooth. Ensenada was far from packed with racers but sure made it nice going from place to place without the traffic. Kudos to SCORE and the City of Ensenada for having a lot of Policia patroling every where. My only grip would have to be the chasers out on the HWY, especially on HWY 3 (Ensenada to San Felipe). I personally saved a couple lives by letting some A**HOLE in while trying to pass 10 cars at once around a blind corner. I'd realy like to start posting the #'s seen on the back windows of most of these vehicles, maybe the team owner can get them to settle down a little. I like going to Mexico and enjoy the races and support our race team, but I don't like the idea of helping pick up the pieces of somebody elses F***UP or putting my guys lives in danger because they are running late to the next pit. Please guys, think about what your doing down there, we don't need another "CODE RED" on thew Weatherman channel. Sorry for the rant.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Sorry for the rant.

Don't be sorry for the rant! It needs to be stressed more.

I'd much rather be racin' than chasin' as far as saftey goes!

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Thats very true Rory. We are usually gone when the car/truck traffic hits the road. We are with the bike/atv traffic and in the mornings it gets hairy but not like the car/truck traffic. We try to tell our guys to be gone well before sun up to be out to the first pit or visual stop. Sometimes the night before to avoid that mess. Pre planning makes for a safer race for everybody.

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
This years 500 was probably one of the best in years. Seems like a lot of the rif raf stayed home (not all) and the event went off pretty smooth. Ensenada was far from packed with racers but sure made it nice going from place to place without the traffic. Kudos to SCORE and the City of Ensenada for having a lot of Policia patroling every where. My only grip would have to be the chasers out on the HWY, especially on HWY 3 (Ensenada to San Felipe). I personally saved a couple lives by letting some A**HOLE in while trying to pass 10 cars at once around a blind corner. I'd realy like to start posting the #'s seen on the back windows of most of these vehicles, maybe the team owner can get them to settle down a little. I like going to Mexico and enjoy the races and support our race team, but I don't like the idea of helping pick up the pieces of somebody elses F***UP or putting my guys lives in danger because they are running late to the next pit. Please guys, think about what your doing down there, we don't need another "CODE RED" on thew Weatherman channel. Sorry for the rant.
Rory,
I say post up the race #'s I speak for myself on this but i for one would really like to know if my pit guys were driving recklessly out there since it reflects poorly on the racers personally! nearly everyone in the racing world comes on this website so the racers can put thier chasers in check! IMHO
Just my .02

coolerking

Reaction
after what i saw at our pit, rm 150,locals/chase teams going wrong way up track,its a miracle more guys didnt get nailed.....i must have sent 10-15 of them off the track.ahhh Baja...

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Rory,
I say post up the race #'s I speak for myself on this but i for one would really like to know if my pit guys were driving recklessly out there since it reflects poorly on the racers personally! nearly everyone in the racing world comes on this website so the racers can put thier chasers in check! IMHO
Just my .02
I second it Rory!

The only way they will learn is if someone calls them out on it. Hopefully the team leader/captain/owner will see it and have a sit down with his crew and tell them.

It's only a race, it's not worth risking your life and lives of others just to get to a pit. I'm sure the driver would rather see their chase crew show up late than not at all.

gunit

Reaction
I agree with posting team #'s on this site after the race.

I put in 350 miles on race day chasing and I witnessed many "death passes".
A broad campaign by all of us involved in racing to discourage this behavior is really necessary.

Unfortunately, some of the worst offenders were locals with Baja California plates but there were plenty of trucks with US plates driving like nuts as well. Without calling anyone out at this time, there seems to be a higher rate of this type of behavior by the bike and quad teams than from the truck and buggy teams. Maybe it is because I passed them racing back towards town when I was going out.

On a high note, it appears that many of the higher profile teams have made chase safety a priority.

Every team should stress the basics: leave early, stay sober, be safe

co-pilot

Reaction
Rory,
Just my .02
Post their numbers, make them known to others. We stopped to help a rolled over local, couldnt understand them, drunk spanish isn't my first language, but who knows how it happened, there were a lot of a holes on the roads. I will take notes next race, and maybe we can end the problem.

so cal dude

Reaction
Post the numbers, maybe they'll learn...eventually.
Hopefully it wont take a "code red"

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
<<Without calling anyone out at this time, there seems to be a higher rate of this type of behavior by the bike and quad teams than from the truck and buggy teams.>>

Gunit, your right, the majority of the chase teams driving like idiots were from the quad/bike teams from both sides of the border, but there was still some 4 wheeled teams guilty. I was towing a trailer and when someone got behind me I would wave them around when it was clear or turned on my turn signal for them. When I race the 1000 this year, my biggest concern is for my chase crews safety and I'm not too comfortable with it after this weekend. Hopefully we'll get some people to read Bob Bowers "what about me" letter. I'd rather my team be late for a pit than have to go home and tell his wife and family that he was killed by some idiot who didn't plan their time well enough.

randy s

Reaction
although i usually hate ratting off anyone, this would be an exception to the rule about posting up culprits teams. nothing on this earth is important enough to risk the lives of people , especially an off road event that is hanging by a thread with invironmentalists on our butts looking for more excuses to try to end our races in mexico. keep driving like this then another group of people that are against racing down there will pop up. besides all that, the chasers just look like ass---- doin' that kind of driving. like they got no sense. i say post the "ivan and robby" wanna-be's up. for the good of us all.

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
This is my favorite backwards on hot course guy of all time.

:eek:talk about pucker factor!!!:eek: id piss my pants if i came over a roller and saw this!!!:eek:

1613 is gettin called out with this pic...

Kartman

Media Goon
Reaction
In fairness he did that after most of the bikes came through Ojos, but still why even drive that pig in on course if you plan on leaving?