• Forum membership has its advantages....

Uniball questions

sbro

With the current horizontal outer/spindle uniball mount craze taking over (ie: H&M, Camburg, Donahoe, etc.), it is likely my next setup will include this feature. My question is: what maintenance, if any, is required on a spherical bearing? Assuming these shops use the Teflon lined type (size?), what is the lifespan? How often will a daily driver need uniball replacement? Also, what would be the advantages/disadvantages to using a rod end or spherical bearing for the inner mount of an upper control arm as opposed to a Delrin bushing?

Donahoe

Well it does seem that everyone is going to that style of ball joint. But just to set the record straight its not new... Its new to the pre-runner market for sure but race car builders have been standing up a uni-ball for a while now. as far as a lifespan on a street drivin daily driver type pre-runner you will probably need to change them about once a year. Thats figuring in at least 4 good pounding weekends. As far as care goes just drive it...There is not to meny things you can do to prolong the life of a teflon uni-ball.. Less keeping water out of it... When they get sloppy replace them.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Dylan

there is a company called Seals-it (www.sealsit.com</A>) that makes boots for uniballs and rod ends that can handle decent missalignment. I havent used them personaly but they looked nice when i saw them. I dont know if they could handle the angle seen at the outer ball joint but for the less severe angles thay mite work

singlehanded

Replacment will depend on how much you beat on them. If you got a lead foot when braking, you'll replace your pad faster then if you drive slower and dont pound on the brakes-same thing pound on uniballs and heims replace sooner. I've heard about once year if you do a lot of offroading. But feel is the best way to know, if you need to replace them.

local

ntsqd

One thing I'm curious about is Uni-ball retention in the socket. Are they a threaded retainer, or are they a snap ring ?

I don't think a Seals-it is going to work very well there. They just don't have enough rubber boot depth. I'll bet if Skip were convinced of a market that he could be pursueded to make some with enough boot depth. Having such a seal there, at least on the front side, might make a world of difference on the longer or siltier races since any airborne grit will be thrown right into the joints.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Dylan

Skip came by our booth at SEMA and showed us his new spherical bearing boot, it looked like it made good contact at 15-20 deg. I don't recal if it made contact with the outer race or the bearing cup.

V8Ranger

How much angle can you get out of a 16 spherical bearing? According to an aurora chart, a HCOM 16 bearing has 9 degrees of misalignment but does this mean that you can only rotate the bearing 9 degrees before it maxes out? This doesn't seem right because on a Jimco at full droop the bearing is angled a lot more than 9 degrees.

Dylan

THAT VALUE IS FOR A CLEVIS MOUNT CONFIGURATION. THAT MEANS THAT IT IS MOUNTED BETWEEN 2 TABS THE WIDTH OF THE FLATS ON THE BALL. IN THIS CONFIGURATION THE BODY OF THE ROD END HITS THE MOUNTING TABS. THE USE OF SPACERS TO WIDEN THE TABS WILL GIVE MORE ANGLE AND THE USE OF HIGH MISALIGNMENT SPACES THAT BUSH DOWN TO A SMALLER BOLT AND CONTINUE THE BALL RADIUS FARTHER WILL GIVE EVEN MORE MISALIGNMENT. THE ANGLE DEPENDS ON THE DESIGN OF THE SPACER. CHECK WITH THE SPACER MANUFACTURER FOR THIS SPEC.

ntsqd

Cool, I guess when you miss the PRI (who's going ?) and the SEMA shows for 5 years things tend to leave you behind......

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Hey Kreg, do you have a tacoma long travel kit yet? I've heard from someone that you were the one who built the spindles on Jim Wimmers 7s tacoma. If this is true I'd like to know how much you charge for a set of these spindles. Basically I'm just looking for new spindles because I'm making my own arms but if I could get a set of spindles already made it would save me alot of time.

Mike