Uniball replacement??

michael

So, what do you guys think about this shot? Any info on the joint at the end of the upper arm? This is from the Avalanche TT at the SEMA show...Bilstein booth.

Michael <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mkparker.com/goose>mkparker.com/goose</A>

Chris_Wilson

Nice looking hub, who is FST?

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Who's TT is that and are they going to race it? If so, when is its first race?

See ya in the dirt!

crashesalot2003

the hubs are nice, but i am more interested in the way the upper arm and the spindle are connected. any one know what that is called and pros and cons of that over a uni-ball

no brain, no pain

vwguy

it almost looks like a u joint but i know it isnt

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

geoff

I saw it too, pretty sick. I asked the guys at the bilstein booth, and one guy said "oh wow thats neat!" he didnt know too much about it tho =(

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
What a waste of $$$$$! Race that damn thing! Where do trucks like that end up in say two years after they have out lived their sponsor's need?

See ya in the dirt!

frankh

It's not just the race truck. you should see the two chase truck the set up. they were all bitchen

FABRICATOR

Looks like an inside-out version of what the Herbst's use... Does it allow any radial movement along a plane parallel to the chassis longitudinal centerline? (Sorry for the gobledygook, but how else can it be said?) It doesn't look like it. If not, it may be an invitation to trouble, unless they are relying on the upper control arm to flex.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

partybarge_pilot

The hiem alows movment in all directions ( small amounts, no misalignment spacers) for alignment purposes. The housing the hiem is mounted in rotates for the suspension movment leaving the hiem for steering only( with a little for castor change). More wear points = less wear, but when it does wear look out.......

michael

I'll bite...why do we want or need any "radial movement along a plane parallel to the chassis longitudinal centerline"?

Michael <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mkparker.com/goose>mkparker.com/goose</A>

FABRICATOR

Michael,
There has to be some allowance for forward and backward movement of the upper and lower ends of the spindle. Even if the control arm pivots are perfectly parallel (which is very rare) there will still be some flexing of the chassis and control arms. If those "ball" joints did not have some give, that type of movement would work on one spot on the bolts connecting them to the spindle, and/or be tweaking the arms all the time. Apparently they do provide for this.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

pciscott

The joint has two balls mounted vertical and one ball mounted horizontal inside where the top bolt goes through. Mike Smith uses a joint similar to this on the upper front, it is called a trunion. However his uses bronze bushings on the two outer surfaces with a special ball in the center. I talked to two of the guys that built this truck and they said it would be racing at Laughlin for sure.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7