Uniball sizing Q?

Tech Tim

RDC Crypto
With the many different sized Uniballs on the market, is there a Uniball strength to size chart?

For instance, if you wanted an A-arm suspension to live with 37" tires, what size Uniballs should you run?

How about for 39" tires?

Lets use 5,000lbs. as the vehicle weight as vehicle weight should directly affect the strength.

Would their mounting position make a difference? Would you need say a 1" Uniball in a Horizontal mount, but go up to a 1.5" Uniball if used in a vertical position.

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
Would their mounting position make a difference? Would you need say a 1" Uniball in a Horizontal mount, but go up to a 1.5" Uniball if used in a vertical position.

You have that backwards, Uniballs are stronger mounted vertically. A 1" is strong enough for any suspension set-up. A 1.5" will last longer and give more misalignment angle.

Tech Tim

RDC Crypto
You have that backwards, Uniballs are stronger mounted vertically. A 1" is strong enough for any suspension set-up. A 1.5" will last longer and give more misalignment angle.

Sorry about that, I keep getting positioning mixed up; description is opposite the direction the bolt is ran. If the bolt is horizontal, then the position is vertical, correct?

You say a 1" is strong enough for any suspension, you mean in a vertical position or in general?

BenDotCom

RDC Crypto
Vertical Position...Bolt is horizontal. For some good info on these types of bearings go to AuroraBearing.com-all kinds of numbers (Radial static load, Axial load, Oscilating load, and accurate dimensions-even 3D CAD model downloads). collier-front suspension-lower spherical 001.jpg

Last edited:

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
In general, horizontal or vertical.

Aurora MIB-16T load rating 60,000 pounds verticaly mounted, 9,000 horzontaly mounted.

Now what are your rims rated for?

CMazzulla

RDC Crypto
Lower arm on a heavy truck wears out a 1" uniball alot faster than 1.5". I Havent seen anything fail unless your crashing the cup because of extreme angle.

Tech Tim

RDC Crypto
Thanks Ben, I'll check their site out.

PBP- Wow, that's a HUGE difference in mounting position VS strength. I knew it was a bunch, but that is a 566% increase in strength... :eek:

We'll probably running the new 17 x 9 Allied Monster RTs. Designed as a HD beadlock wheel, not a truck wheel cut and welded. I don't have the load rating yet, but will give them a ring today and find out.

attachment.php

CMazulla- Does that go for both horizontal and vertical mounted Unis?

Triaged

RDC Crypto
Get an Aurora, FK, NHBB, RBC Bearing, etc. catalog (or download online)and look up the ratings. Axial static load ratings are often 15-20% of the radial static load rating. Also note that there are wide, standard, and narrow series of spherical bearings with a corresponding reduced axial/radial ratio. The most commonly used 1" in offroad is a wide series.