"Unlimited" UTVs

Zambo

I haven't been following the results all that closely over the last few years, but a casual look fails to find many if any instances where the unlimited UTVs beat the Pro classes. Are there any examples of big races where an unlimited car beat the more traditional cars?

If not, why? Is it a driver issue, or do the engineers at Polaris and CanAm just do a better job of designing a car than those who want to re-engineer everything?

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reliability would be #1, at least in the past, the other part is OEM money is in the "production" classes.

I'd say unlimited would be getting closer if it didn't have to start behind all the turbos.

cjohnson

IMHO it's money then driver talent or maybe the good drivers attracted the money. BTW there is nothing traditional about the pro cars. They stretch the rules to the limit. I have not seen any heavily re-engineered cars in Pro UTV unlimited either. We run a highly modified Canned Ham but we could run it in Pro UTV Forced Induction. I was on the 1851 Pro Unlimited UTV Johnson Racing team in 2019.

Total Loss

I think teams like "Mobbin" run in the unlimited class so Can Am can test some parts and do some "non-production" testing.
They killed it BTW at the Parker 250.
They finished 8th OA starting behind 61 Pro turbo cars.
Bobylax has a shot of them- his last one- 2901.

Zambo

IMHO it's money then driver talent or maybe the good drivers attracted the money. BTW there is nothing traditional about the pro cars. They stretch the rules to the limit. I have not seen any heavily re-engineered cars in Pro UTV unlimited either. We run a highly modified Canned Ham but we could run it in Pro UTV Forced Induction. I was on the 1851 Pro Unlimited UTV Johnson Racing team in 2019.
If you could run the car in the normal pro class why wouldn't you? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the concept behind unlimited UTVs.

cjohnson

If you could run the car in the normal pro class why wouldn't you? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the concept behind unlimited UTVs.
At the time we were not that knowledgeable and our interpretation of the rules indicated Pro UTV unlimited was the correct class for the UTV we bought. We now know the rules between Pro UTV Forced induction and Pro UTV unlimited have plenty of overlap. Our UTV could qualify for either class. We decided to stay in Pro UTV unlimited for 2019 because of the points championship. I'm no longer with the team so I'm not sure if they will remain in Pro UTV unlimited for 2020 or not.

450grl

I would imagine a driver who is looking for a championship would have a better shot at it in Unlimited because there are far fewer drivers and it's not a stacked class like the Pro Turbo class is. So....IMO it's a bit easier pickings if you are looking for good results. I think the Rally class looks like fun - super minimal modifications and a much more accurate test of the vehicles.

cjohnson

I would imagine a driver who is looking for a championship would have a better shot at it in Unlimited because there are far fewer drivers and it's not a stacked class like the Pro Turbo class is. So....IMO it's a bit easier pickings if you are looking for good results. I think the Rally class looks like fun - super minimal modifications and a much more accurate test of the vehicles.
Yeah. We could live like rock stars if we only had a UTV championship.