Unusual sound

durtygirl

Reaction
Heres the deal: My parents own a 2000 surburban. Its in great condition, no problems, etc. I don't really drive it on a regular basis, but today I needed a way to work, so I hoped in it and as I driving off every time I would turn to the right, even the slightest movement an odd noise (not really a grinding or a whinning, but it is defiently something I could hear) would be noticable. I wasn't sure if it had to do wtih the power steering cause it doesn't happen at all if i turn it to the left. Any ideas?

cleartoy

Reaction
Look to the suspension\steering for trouble. Sounds like a ball joint, or sway bar\link\bushing assembly.

durtygirl

Reaction
Just out of curiousity and also not knowing jack crap about anything mechinical. How often do ball joints go out and or need to be replaced?

01Baja4x4

Reaction
2wd or 4wd? If it is 4wd it could also be a CV joint. I am assuming the 4x4 Burbans have CV's since I don't know much about them.

-Tim

BugRacer

Reaction
Does it only happen when its cold? <font color="yellow"> </font color> 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive?

cleartoy

Reaction
Ball joints usually last a long time on a truck with stock suspension. They need to be repaced when there is play. If you dont, it wont handle well, will feel loose, and wear tires funny. If let go too long, they will break.........hopefully you wont be on the freeway when it happens.

Without seein the truck i cant say what is wrong with it. I reccomend you jack it up and check everything out, or take it to someone that can look at it for you.

To check the upper ball joints have the arms hanging with no support and put a pry bar(piece of 1.5" works fine) under the tire and push\pull up. See if there is any play. To check the load carrying lower ball joint(2 or 4wd in Chevys case) put a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up. Then put the pry bar under and check it out. This takes the load off the joint.

durtygirl

Reaction
its 4wd and it handles fine. I'll check it out thanks for the tips

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I would look at the CV joints when they start to go bad they make a clicking sound when the vehicle cycles most of its wheel travel or when you turn a corner even though its only a 2000 they can still go bad have some one look at the boots and make sure they arent torn and throwing all the grease out of the CV and making it splatter around the spindle...Mike