Up Travel, Down Travel, Ride Height

Supertoys-Adventures

Reaction
Couldn't find it. I'm sure it's been talked about a million times.

I thought 50/50 travel was pretty common or 60 up/ 40 down. But I think somebody was talking about ride height at only 30% (meaning 70 up and 30 down?)

What's the best?

I'm asking regarding Link rear and Beam front.

motochris

Reaction

I thought 50/50 travel was pretty common or 60 up/ 40 down. But I think somebody was talking about ride height at only 30% (meaning 70 up and 30 down?)

What's the best?

There's not neccesarily a right/wrong answer to that. It's largly personal and is typically based on wanted ride hieght.....ie- how they want the truck to look/sit. I see a large number of desert cars with 60% droop or so. That means it's sitting 60% into the wheel travel at ride height.

Co-Dog

Reaction

What's the best?

I agree with Motochris, there is no right answer. Probably not what you want to hear, since you asked the question.

What I do know, is that if the vehicle has a high center of gravity, lowering the ride height will improve handling. The type of terrain encountered also is a factor. Look at a short course truck. Due to hard cornering they are set to ride very low and the settings they use for their shocks are much different than that of a desert racer.

I can remember when ride height was set high and stiff, because that was the only way to get needed travel. When bypass shocks showed up, that changed everything. Suspension systems have become so complex that there doesn't seem to ever be a straight forward answer to anybody's question. Opinions, on the other hand . . . . . :D

BajaFand

Reaction
I would say atleast 50/50, you want as much up travel is you can possibly get, the more you have the less the ass end will be kicking up in the air, bypass or no bypass. If you have the luxury of designing a chassis any way you want than it is easy to build a vehicle with a low ride height and allot of uptravel. But if you are building a limited class vehicle like a class 8 or even a 7s truck where you have a stock frame limiting things, you are going to have to sacrifice ride height to get the uptravel. To me, in the desert that is the most important thing.

Take my Bronco for example, Bronco's have a high center of gravity to begin with stock, mine has Deaver's and 100% of the frame still in tact with 37"s, and she sits very high, but I have 11.75" inches of uptravel from ride height out of a total of 17". I wouldn't have it any other way. Yes, it will feel tippy at times but it's just a prerunner, I'm just going to have to get used to driving it without falling over.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
This might be an overly simplistic answer. When dealing with an I-beam suspension, I tend to focus on setting the truck up so the front tires have either neutral or slight negative camber at static ride height than trying to focus on gaining a specific compression/droop ratio.

crash4519

Reaction
Well I'm struggling with the same problem right now. I have a 75 F100... and had to hack out all the old shock mounts that some idiot tried to put in. I have my truck sitting where i want it on jack stands, and had custom beams made to have 3 or 4 degrees of camber in at ride height. But I'm trying to figure the best way to mount the shocks. I have 3.0 x 16 coils. i'm debating whether to mount to the beam or the radious arm.

FIGGY

Reaction
Well I'm struggling with the same problem right now. I have a 75 F100... and had to hack out all the old shock mounts that some idiot tried to put in. I have my truck sitting where i want it on jack stands, and had custom beams made to have 3 or 4 degrees of camber in at ride height. But I'm trying to figure the best way to mount the shocks. I have 3.0 x 16 coils. i'm debating whether to mount to the beam or the radious arm.[/QUOT

i would mount to the beam since the beam is taking the impact.