Upgrades or Blasphemy

TaylorAnderson31

So I was fortunate enough to pick up a cool piece a few years back from Matt Parks, and the Beer Hauler has been an incredible race truck for me racing NORRA the last 3 years, and with a great chase team full of talented people we finished each year and managed 3 wins in our 2wd Pioneer Truck class. The truck was a prerunner in its previous life, built by Randy LaFortune it is believed. We run stock leaf suspension, with triple Fox 2.0's on each corner, also run a 1 ton beam setup, a well built 70's styled truck. Matt Parks documented its incredible re-build on RDC, and I fell in love with it.

This year we see quite a few rule changes and find ourselves not able to race this class.
Shocks come through the bed, which is no longer allowed.
full floater rear end, not allowed.
a 427 motor(12 cubic inches over the limit of 415 Ci)

This places us either in Challenger or Vintage Open w/Rear leaf.

Challenger would be cool, but we are running now against trucks that are allowed coil-overs up front, wider than stock beams, and longer radius arms. Leaf springs can be quarter elliptical or dual shackle, links allowed but no rear coilovers.

Vintage Open is our other option, but Shock packages are unlimited, rear leafs must remain, with 2 links as an option.

My dilemma is this. Should this truck be left as it was rebuilt by Matt Parks, or should I upgrade it. If I leave it I don't believe we will be competitive with either Challenger or Vintage Open/Rear leaf. I know it is not Big Oly or Scoops old F100, but it is a piece of history in part as it was originally built in the 70's by people who knew what they were doing.

After talking with John at Autofab I am leaning on his front end upgrade. Taller spring buckets, 2" extended beam brackets and an equal length swing steering system that will really help the stock steering setup I run currently. This will allow for either twin 2 or 2.5 monotubes or a single 2.5 Coil Over.

another question is what to do with the rear end. We can add larger shocks and track bars which are also available from Autofab.

all opinions welcome and wanted..
fullsizeoutput_2ccf.jpegfullsizeoutput_314e.jpeg

oldschool5er

I am not a truck guy but I do understand the dilemma. Since your car was a prerunner as built and had no race history other than what you are now making in Norra, I think anything is game to keep you in the class you want to race in. I think you should change what is neccesary to keep it Fun for you. You are not really violating a historical vehicle since it wasn't built as a race car, You made it the Race Car so it is Your history with it that should be the primary focus in my opinion.

I know I won't be competitive in my two classes, but it doesn't matter as I am doing it for fun and personnal reasons with trying to keep it original as it raced. I have to look at the number of cars I would be racing against so a win for me is not as important as a finish.

oneleglance

Have fun as others have said...
What is more important, winning or history? Will you have fun in 2nd or 3rd knowing you are more "historically authentic"? That is the case with our early Bronco.
Or will you have more fun winning with upgrades?
Only you know you and what will make the money and time worth the effort.
Either way I am glad you are back at it, always great to watch your truck run.

john Mcc

Read thru the rules again, i just read them and I think you are getting Pioneer and Legend mixed. It looks like you only have to change the motor for legend and you are good. I would ask for a waiver on the motor say for 2 years then change it the next time you have to rebuild it.

jon coleman

is its current setup slowing you down?, ( skillset)can you go faster Overall?, set it up to be nice to your back& kidneys w legal ' tricky' shox and leave it alone

TaylorAnderson31

is its current setup slowing you down?, ( skillset)can you go faster Overall?, set it up to be nice to your back& kidneys w legal ' tricky' shox and leave it alone
its pretty limited on suspension. Getting around 12" out of the front, and same or less out back. The new setup should yield us 18" all around, my back is pretty excited. Those big mountain passes are tough, not to mention San Felipe.

crafty

I was thinking it's a legend class truck. With it not being a historic truck I would make the changes. I fight the urge all the time to make big modern changes on my truck but at the end of the day I just can't do it. My last race I smoked a bearing, axle shaft and the spool in my ancient one off rear end. Everyone says put in a 14 bolt or 9" but I want it to stay the same as 39 years ago so its going to cost me money and time to get it right

jon coleman

updated safty should be legal in All classes, so my 40 year old spindle is as fast as a modern tt spindle, 40 breaks, im bummed, tt spindle is just a nice piece of mind

Team Todo En

I agree with Travis. Challenger is new to us as well as we had to switch classes again because of engine size this time. We've got a nice size class in the 4x4s. Should be fun as hell!

Quailhunter

Covert Troll.
If you do go with Autofab, you'll be very happy with the extra travel and the crossover steering makes a world of difference.
Even with that, Mark Stahl kicks everyone's azz with very few modifications.

TaylorAnderson31

If you do go with Autofab, you'll be very happy with the extra travel and the crossover steering makes a world of difference.
Even with that, Mark Stahl kicks everyone's azz with very few modifications.
Mark is a badass. He told me it’s easy, always keep
moving forward. Hmm.

TaylorAnderson31

what?, all you gotta do is move at about 30 mph the whole race, 30??, a little kiddey scooter goes 30 mph......
i remember my first year, 2017. I drove my truck as fast as I could, until I couldn’t see straight. Won my class in Pioneer 2wd Truck, then I noticed Mark won as well in Legend. By an hour and a half.

hooked..