• Forum membership has its advantages....

Upgrades or Blasphemy

TaylorAnderson31

So let me get this straight, the question is.... Leave it cool, bitchen, famous and historic or..... not? Hmmm
It’s true fame is fairly shallow, some modern upgrades are going to make it more fun to race, and still be competitive.

LantanaTX

My teammate runs Challenger Truck. While coil over shocks are legal on the front only, He does not run them. He is running the truck with all original suspension including the original old Bilstein 2" shocks even though 2.5's are legal. Seem you would fit right in. I also think you ask for a waiver for Legend if you agreed to knock a few cubic inches out at the next re-build.

TaylorAnderson31

A better riding and handling truck will be way more fun!
agreed, im pretty excited to feel the difference. Its going to feel like a different machine for sure.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Last I heard NORRA was not supposed to be a race in the first place. That being said leave it alone the cool factor alone makes that truck a major winner in my book, if it's beating you up let your kids race it or simply "Lift" in the rough sections.

Like bro gill says "thats how it begins"

Next thing to happen is the good old fasion frame notch, in 10 years the entire truck will be rotting in the back 40

TaylorAnderson31

Last I heard NORRA was not supposed to be a race in the first place. That being said leave it alone the cool factor alone makes that truck a major winner in my book, if it's beating you up let your kids race it or simply "Lift" in the rough sections.

Like bro gill says "thats how it begins"

Next thing to happen is the good old fasion frame notch, in 10 years the entire truck will be rotting in the back 40
It has definitely begun. And yes, my kids are already wondering when they can race it, at 15 and 16. I look forward to the day when im following them in the prerunner eating ice cream. For now its my race truck, we have a blast down there, we are racing-maybe a little harder than we should at times, but the excitement of it is contagious, friends running chase, Deckman cooking meat and carving fish(when he's not telling me to go faster) everyone is down there to eat, keep the truck together, and if we are lucky-Win. And I am having the time of my life while doing it. This year we will be trying more than before to slow down to go fast, maybe squeeze in an extra few beers while not working on the truck.

she's torn down and ready to receive her minor upgrades, find a wiring gremlin, and if we are lucky, serve us well at NORRA one more time.

once again thanks everyone, love all of the advice, suggestions and opinions on this old truck.

Attachments

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Hers a picture of a picture of my truck circa 1981 you know the story I wished like hell I still had it to run NORRA
I copied coco corral' s truck to the letter at the ripe age of 20 the locals thought I was possessed burning around town raising hell (and alot of tire smoke) even though it was street legal & insured the local sheriff thought otherwise many times! (It helps when your uncle was the judge @the time)
Yes that's a windshield & wipers with water hoses
20191217_113716.jpg

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
It has definitely begun. And yes, my kids are already wondering when they can race it, at 15 and 16. I look forward to the day when im following them in the prerunner eating ice cream. For now its my race truck, we have a blast down there, we are racing-maybe a little harder than we should at times, but the excitement of it is contagious, friends running chase, Deckman cooking meat and carving fish(when he's not telling me to go faster) everyone is down there to eat, keep the truck together, and if we are lucky-Win. And I am having the time of my life while doing it. This year we will be trying more than before to slow down to go fast, maybe squeeze in an extra few beers while not working on the truck.

she's torn down and ready to receive her minor upgrades, find a wiring gremlin, and if we are lucky, serve us well at NORRA one more time.

once again thanks everyone, love all of the advice, suggestions and opinions on this old truck.

Rossler told me prior to the start of Barstow to Vegas in 84 the following

If you think you going to slow.......slow down

TaylorAnderson31

Hers a picture of a picture of my truck circa 1981 you know the story I wished like hell I still had it to run NORRA
I copied coco corral' s truck to the letter at the ripe age of 20 the locals thought I was possessed burning around town raising hell (and alot of tire smoke) even though it was street legal & insured the local sheriff thought otherwise many times! (It helps when your uncle was the judge @the time)
Yes that's a windshield & wipers with water hosesView attachment 207170
that is a thing of beauty.

TaylorAnderson31

NORRA 2018, Bink I believe got this one.
fullsizeoutput_2875.jpeg

My 2019 NORRA Baja fix after 2 shocks up front sheared off the master cylinder(on a downhill), use what you have right? dead blow hammer spacer, ratchet strap and a bunch of zip ties got us 200 miles to the beer tent.
IMG_8665.JPG

From photo shoot in 2018, in Ensenada
fullsizeoutput_289e.jpeg

The day my then 12 year old son pulled it off the trailer at home for the first time. I can't explain how clean this
truck was.

fullsizeoutput_314e.jpeg

crafty

Keep the updates coming! I’m curious to see what you’ll do for the rear suspension. I currently run stock length national springs and would like to upgrade for a bit more travel and less bucking.

TaylorAnderson31

Keep the updates coming! I’m curious to see what you’ll do for the rear suspension. I currently run stock length national springs and would like to upgrade for a bit more travel and less bucking.
for sure man. We are figuring it out now. Its between 2 and 3" longer from the pin back, Pin forward is 24.5 i believe, so the rear will be 26.5-27.5, with Autofab stock length shackles. And their 2-link kit. If we can get the shock layout correct we will see 18". Im still trying to find out the top 1/2 link magic, but we will be doing it again.

why 1/2 link again? anyone?

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Love the usage of the swing press (dead blow hammer) I see you have the wipers & windshield also

My master did the same thing! My tool of choice was a POS screw Jack out of a brand new 84 Bronco sitting in the wrong place at the right time it served it's life's purpose well by getting its base welded to the upper shock loop thus allowing us to give it a crank at every pit stop when the brake pedal got two far away from my foot

Duhh I forgot to tell why the master was coming off
The damned firewall started cracking around the master cyl mounting bolts that i obviously missed prepping it.

Last edited: