Upgrading to a Mendeolan need advise

daltonfixr

Reaction
We have decided to upgrade the bus trans in our class 10 car (Chenoweth chasis) to a Mendeola. Has anyone on this board done a conversion like this? Has anyone heard or experienced any problems with the 5 speed? I would rather iron out all the unforseen problems before I tackle the conversion.
Here is the "issues" that I have already thought of:
New axle shafts are in order because the Mendeola is narrower.
Our fuel cell might be an issue because it has a centeed shift tunnel.
All new trans mounts are in order an possible modifications to the rear cage.
Anyone have a picture of a mendeola 5 speed with demension?
Thanks!

Class 10 newbie

Mike_Cohen

Reaction
The Mendeola 4 and 5 speeds are awesome. I ran 2+ seasons on my 4 speed in my 12 car without any failures and the most expensive item purchased was $100 of synchro rings. That certainly paled in comparison to my per race $1,200 service when I used a bus box.

Call Ian at Mendeola Racing at 619-691-1000 and tell him I referred you. He runs the shop and is very knowledgable on all of your questions.

Good Luck!
Michael Cohen
Race Ready Products
619-691-9171

bpthirteen

Reaction
We were just at Mendeola today. Mike and the guys could not be nicer. Jake has installed several Mendeola transmissions in customer cars and they have all worked great.

http://www.prepbyjake.com

daltonfixr

Reaction
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably end up getting it from Foltz. Just as long as he has the time to spend with me to get the ratio's right. THEN MAYBE WE CAN FINISH A RACE!

Class 10 newbie

factorX

Reaction
The mendeola is the best................Ive owned the 4 speed and know I own two of the five speeds, I am running a honda behind it and it works awesome. And let me tell you, take it to folts he is the king of that transmission!!! He built all three of mine.

Off road race rental companion of the evening

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
why not put a Fortin transmission in the car and never have to worry about it?

factorX

Reaction
Because most of us are not lottery winners!!!! trust me the fortin has plenty of its own problems. Dont get me wrong the fortin is an awesome transmission, But I was able to buy two mendeolas and still have change compared to one fortin. And If folts builds your mendeola It will be the closest thing to bulit proof you can buy...............

daltonfixr

Reaction
OK, I talked to Ian at Mendeola (nice guy) he got me dialed in on gear ratio's, and I'll be ordering the trans from Dave Foltz by next week. We'll probably end up racing the next race (April 5) with the bus trans. Not because Foltz can't get it done in time, but just like any modification this one is snow balling into a little bigger project than just swapping transmissions.We decided while i'm at it, I am installing micro stubs and it looks like I'll have to move the motor back a little and modify the rear engine cage so for now I am just planning on gathering all of the parts and after the next race I'll hit it hard and have plenty of time to get it done.
Anyone have any suggestions on a shifter setup. Our car has a 22 gallon fuel cell with a tunnel for the shift linkage. I am worried about the 5 speed Mendeola having an offset shifter and I really don't want to get into changing the fuel cell. Foltz said that people have had good luck with a Fortin shifter. Anyone done this?

Class 10 newbie

factorX

Reaction
my car has a tunnel in the cell and was able to make it work, it was close but I made it work. Yes the fortin shifter worked out really nice (expensive) but really nice.
Jeff Lothringer