Urgent!!!! Say good bye to moab possibly this week!!!!

sirhk100

Reaction
I found this on a dirt bike page... I would HOPE the 4X guys on Pirates are all over this... Anyone that's active over there please check to make sure it's not just the bike guys that have picked up on this...

The Chairman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands of the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources has scheduled a hearing on October 1 to consider H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. This legislation -- which will ban off-highway vehicle (OHV) access to public lands to those who live and recreate in Utah -- was introduced by New York Representative Maurice Hinchey. To read his press release on H.R. 1925, click here.

However, not a single Representative from Utah is supporting H.R. 1925.

Specifically, H.R. 1925 would designate more than nine million more acres as federally protected "Wilderness," and directly affect the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock areas (to name a few) in Utah. These popular OHV areas represent some of the most important remaining OHV recreation areas in Utah, and are some of the most popular with responsible OHV riders. The proposed Wilderness designation would also make the land off limits to ATV riders, mountain bikers and horseback riders.

Coming on the heels of the recently enacted Omnibus Public Land Management Act, which closed 2 million acres of public lands, this vast Wilderness bill will take away additional recreation opportunities currently enjoyed by local residents and visitors alike.

The AMA needs your help now to stop H.R. 1925. The fastest way to reach your U.S. Representative is to call them. You can find contact information for your elected officials by entering your zip code on AmericanMotorcyclist.com, clicking on "Rights," then "Issues and Legislation." Additionally, a prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to your Representative immediately by following the "Take Action" option and entering your information.

Please contact your Representative right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 1925.

VERy VERY VERY SIMPLE!!! Follow the link below, it's to the AMA which is the nations biggest pro bike organization. This affects bikes and the 4 wheel guys!!! I know probably none of you will ever miss Moab but an entire other spectrum of the offroad community will. Just enter your Zip at the bottom of this first page, it'll take you to a 2nd page to automaticly send a letter...

Think about this!!!! Some guy in New York is trying to close land in Utah that isn't even supported by the Utah Gov!!!!! What the hell????

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=14061961

by by moab!!!

QurtysLyn

Reaction
It hits everybody. Mountain Bikers too. This bill is completely Moronic. If it passes I think I'll move to Mexico and take my chances with the guns...

Hopefully the subcommittee will shoot it down (and then put a few more rounds into it for good measure).

I've already emailed my congressman.

baja619

Reaction
I signed last week and sent to everyone on my list.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Well, if you PM Mr jgbjgb who is part of this forum. This person thinks the opposite. This person thinks this bill will not have an adverse effect. Does not believe trails will be closed.

I am not of that mindset....

sirhk100

Reaction
Email conversation with my rep. this morning... Read the bottom portion first...

Dina Titus,

Wow, thank you for the reply. It seems like often times some of these internet form feed reply's just venture off to nowhere and we often wonder if they ever actually get noticed.

In regards to HR1925, closing down the land to the surrounding area of Moab will kill the economy. Utah has arguably the country's most beautiful landscape and I think you'd be VERY hard pressed to find a "off road motorized vehicle user" that would argue against that. We have areas like Bryce, Zion, Escelante, Powell, etc that are already set aside as national treasures. Closing the area around Moab will pretty much turn that area into a ghost town and likely devastate the lively hoods of the residents of that town. Not sure if you or many politicians have been to Moab but it almost solely exists to support the Mtn biking, 4 wheeling and dirt biking industry. Utah already has epic amounts of amazing landscape that is saved for future generations, we're asking to allow us to continue to recreate on public lands as we have been since the invention of cars and motors.

It's funny that even the Utah Representatives don't support this yet a many people who have likely never even been to the area are for shutting it down when they don't even have any first hand experience other then what they see in pictures presented to them.

Thanks for your reply though...

Khris Kading

Dear Mr. Kading,

Thank you for contacting me about your opposition to legislation restricts the use of recreational motor vehicles. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

I understand your frustration about limitations on the use of recreational vehicles on public lands. However, I also believe that it is critical to protect our environment for future generations. Because there are often conflicting opinions in the management of public lands, it is necessary to acknowledge the needs of all stakeholders when developing legislation.

H.R. 146, the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, embraced the need for collaboration at federal, state, county, and local levels, in conjunction with elected officials, businesses, community leaders, outdoor enthusiasts, and other stakeholders. This legislation passed the House with my support on March 3, 2009, and I was especially proud to stand by President Obama's side at the White House as he signed this important legislation into law.

H.R. 146 protects hunting, fishing, and trapping rights on public lands and supports states' rights to retain the authority to manage resident fish and wildlife. This legislation also:

o Provides jobs in recreation and tourism. Nationwide, outdoor recreation contributes $730 billion to the U.S. economy while supporting 6.5 million jobs.

o Releases to Nevada 65 acres of land currently designated as a wilderness study area in the Bureau of Land Management's Sunrise Mountain Instant Study Area in Clark County and allows it to be used for other activities.

You may also be pleased to know that I am a cosponsor of H.R. 765, the Nellis Dunes National Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area Act of 2009. This legislation creates a 1,150 acre off-road vehicle recreation park northeast of Las Vegas. It allows people to enjoy using off-road vehicles while preventing them from being used in environmentally sensitive areas.

Thank you again for taking the time to get involved. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of future service.

Sincerely,

Dina Titus
Member of Congress

Broncodawg

Reaction
If elected officials hear enougn from their constituents, they sit up and listen, but only if.....so urging the Dezert community to help their offroad brethren with the fight to keep reasonable areas open to motorized recreation. Fighting the larger nationwide public land access battle will only benefit the fight to keep Desert racing alive.

This AMA link is a great chance to comment:

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=14061961#

Here's a great sample letter you can copy/paste, modify a little, sign and send.

Dear (your senator and congressman),

As a constituent and concerned motorized outdoor recreationist, I am
writing to ask you to oppose H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act
of 2009. H.R. 1925 will designate more than nine million additional acres
as Wilderness and unnecessarily close access to responsible recreation at
the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock off-highway vehicle areas (to
name a few) in Utah.

By designating over 9 million acres of new Wilderness, this would close
all trails to responsible motorized access in these areas. The closure of
these trails will be devastating to many friends and families who recreate
together responsibly.

We cannot afford to close any more trails without providing alternative
riding opportunities. Again, I ask that you oppose H.R. 1925.

Thank you for your time and consideration of this important issue.

Sincerely,

MattV

Reaction
The HR has a related bill (S 799) in the Senate. Both are currently in committee in their respective legislative bodies. I would encourage you to contact your state senators as well.

flatiron

Reaction
Just sent an email to my congressman here in Vermont. He is probably going to vote for it, because they just love to shut land down here, so why not eveywhere. I also became a member of USA-All, the Utah group that is trying to fight this, pay the membership fee and know that your money is going to lobby.
My big question is, why the hell has "SAVE THE DESERT" been moved down the list on the forum page? If all these dudes that spend most of their day sitting around posting about the new paint scheme of soandso's tt dont start paying attention, they are gonna have to rename the site "race-privatelandormexico.com" It doesnt f-ing matter if you have never even been to utah, everybody needs to help fight this! First they passed the omnibus, now they are trying for this. If it happens, they will start looking around for the next palce to shutdown. Maybe the cool guys will start paying attention when they try and close glamis or ocotillo.
"SAVE THE DESERT" should be the most important forum on race-dezert, bottom line.
"oh you wanna check out the dezert racing forum, well first you will be redirected to the SAVE THE DESERT forum so you can check out what you need to do to keep the land you love to use"
Or just keep moving it further down the page, and you can name your next movie, "Dezert People 8:What F-ing Dezert?!"