• Forum membership has its advantages....

USAC TECH ALERT: 2010 Competition Modifications

HotRod82

I dont understand all the whining about the existing motor and trans becoming worthless. Seriously, after 4 to 6 races your existing motor trans and clutch are toast. It will cost you AT LEAST 10K to freshen everything up if you do it properly. (yes I know there are a couple of you out there that do it all yourselves for a little less.) Throw all that stuff on EBAY and get what you can for it. I'm still a fan of the 4 cyl Fontana route but this V8 thing could work. All of you who think you can simply lower the compression and/or rev limiter for little $$$$$ are smoking crack. Do you realize what that does to a race engine? It sends you back to the drawing board.........and again the guys with the $$$$$ will figure it out quicker and STILL be way ahead of the budget teams. I honestly think in a couple of years you will see the old midwest PL crowd back in full force, this is what they have been waiting for. There used to be at least a dozen backyard/garage low budget teams in PL and they have all quit in the last 5 or 6 years because of the cost. Odonnell or Federico want to chime in on this??

SuperRanger

I respect everyone's experienced opinion but this might be a good thing. As I have said before, the motor (costs real or imagined) has kept me out of pro-lite for several years. Either way - for better or worse, the rule is changed now. It is probably better to focus on how to become (or remain) competitive. If you don't like it, there is always LOORRS.

sickrick

I respect everyone's experienced opinion but this might be a good thing. As I have said before, the motor (costs real or imagined) has kept me out of pro-lite for several years. Either way - for better or worse, the rule is changed now. It is probably better to focus on how to become (or remain) competitive. If you don't like it, there is always LOORRS.
Best move ever made in Prolite.

TORC Just cut the cost of Building a Prolite in 1/2. On the west coast you may not need the change, as plenty of trucks still show up to race. In the Midwest if things continued the way they were going, We would be down to 6-8 prolites by next year.

V8s will fit fine, Only adds a couple hundred Lbs to the truck. Since most trucks are adding 100- 150 lbs anyway, it should be even less then that.

jonpfive

Let's assume that once fitted with a V8 that the trucks are around the 2800lb mark. The majority of the trucks in use now are adding weight to the rear of the truck for bias and more importantly, traction. With the additional weight of the new engine moving that "extra" weight forward, will there be a shortage on traction? Not to mention that a V8 should make 70-100 more ft-lbs of torque. ToddC, how is the bias in your truck?

Matt Kross

Sounds like everyone should go get a copy of "Who Moved My Cheese". Change is not always bad. I remember when Supercross was all 2 strokes.

CaptinCrash

personally i don't think this was a smart move they should of just allowed usac midget motors if they wanted to change the motor rules

flatblack

its gonna be very similar to the pro-2 spec class and look how that worked out. i personally think its a bad move but thats just my opinion...

ProLite13

What's the Toyota option?

DP:cool:

lowedown&dirty

I like the V-8 in the small truck, I just think there might be a firesale on chassis'. Way easier to start from scratch.

From a building, fabricating, point of view, I put a V-8 in an OLD pro-lite, and I am not sure if I would do that again to an exsisting chassis. Too many things not in the right place to accomidate the dimensions and the optimal location for the new engine.

ProLite13

What's the Toyota option?

Manufacturer: GM
Approved Engine: 88958604
Source: GM Performance Parts

Manufacturer:Ford Racing
Approved Engine: D347SR
Source: Ford Racing

Manufacturer: Dodge/Mopar
Approved Engine: TORC75360
Source: Stanton Racing Engines

Manufacturer: Toyota
Approved Engine: TBD
Source: TRD

jamminjeff10

Since weight (Chassis), Suspension, & Tires are the limiters in this class, let the v-8's in, BUT, let the 4 cylinder equipped trucks run open CI / Carburation.

There is no better feeling blowing by a V8 truck in a 4 cylinder!

CaptinCrash

What are the Nissan and Mazda guys what are the supposed to do

hoeker

you west coast guys can talk bad about this all you want but right now i'm considering this class for 2010 and would NEVER consider it with the 4 cylinder.

if anyone wants to trade a brand new pro-2 chassis for a pro-lite in any condition email me, [email protected], maybe we can make a deal.

scott creed

ross anymore word on this class we are looking have one built just need to know the chasis spec and rules. is this gonna be all v8 class in 2011? thanks for the info if you can provide any

scott creed

the main reason for us is my son can drive at an earlier age with usac and torc then loors. the superlite is a minibuggy with a truck body the pro lite is a real truck with a better package to offer sponsers and tv time. just my opinion

dutchkid77

ross anymore word on this class we are looking have one built just need to know the chasis spec and rules. is this gonna be all v8 class in 2011? thanks for the info if you can provide any
rules aren't finished. still waiting on engine location and automatic trans rules. everything else is the same as current pro-lite rules besides radiator now allowed in rear.

we expect the trans to be a turbo 400 and i guess they're working on spec exhaust for each engine.

[email protected]

the main reason for us is my son can drive at an earlier age with usac and torc then loors. the superlite is a minibuggy with a truck body the pro lite is a real truck with a better package to offer sponsers and tv time. just my opinion

With the Spool in the trans and no turn brake the Superlite drives more like a truck the it does our Pro Buggy . Maybe Prolite54 can add his thought.