Use of aircraft bolts in offroad racing

9rocky

Thought we would share a new video we produced that shows the processes involved in making the aircraft fasteners used by most of the top teams and builders in racing today. This includes the Ampudias, Mason Motorsports, Herbst, and many others. As the trucks and buggies get bigger, heavier, faster, and the terrain gets rougher, it is important to use the proper bolts for your application.

michael.gonzalez

Awesome video! I had no idea that was how the underhead radius was made. Very cool to see the equipment used and steps involved with for a relatively basic but very important part.

9rocky

Awesome video! I had no idea that was how the underhead radius was made. Very cool to see the equipment used and steps involved with for a relatively basic but very important part.
That is just one of the many things that sets apart a MS21250 12 point from a DB or F911. The cold working of the under head radius gives our parts a massive amount of enhanced fatigue properties. Our threads are rolled after heat treatment, shanks are centerless gound to within .0005 of an inch, etc. There is really no comparison. We have been running these on our own cars for the last 14 years. At the recent Baja 400, at least 23 of the 26 Trophy Trucks that raced use our bolts.

MTPyle

Ya. After watching the video I want those sweet bolts. Where do I order. Great video, did it’s job. I am excited.

Mike

jon coleman

i miss my days in airframes, cruise boxes( 20 year bin) Full of that stuff for the ,hmmmm, aaaa, pilfering?, u see, in the military when ordering a part number, lottsa times u need just one, but it comes in a box of one- hundred, ;)

Dirtracer 619

After breaking a 3/4" grade 8 bolt in my spindle at 60 mph thru some whoops I have been converting over to RPI bolts. They are not just for big dollar teams I am a sportsman 1450 racer. Peace of mind while racing is very important to me. Thank you RPI for helping with that
1453eDSC_7828.jpg

Dezertpilot

Totally pointless in my application but I still want a few on my truck.

jon coleman

oh, one more thing most maintenance on ac required q/a to verifie bolt/ hardware p/n each time we needed one, cant use one of the other 99 bolts next month, had to order another q-a verified mil $pec' part'

Bricoop

I was reading about the manufacturing process of another high end bolt manufacturer. I found it interesting that many times bolts used in racing applications are far superior to those used in aerospace and that 'aerospace quality' has a very wide range.

9rocky

I was reading about the manufacturing process of another high end bolt manufacturer. I found it interesting that many times bolts used in racing applications are far superior to those used in aerospace and that 'aerospace quality' has a very wide range.
That quote is BS. That is a sales pitch that is not backed up with facts. Aerospace standards are the most stringent in the world. How can a part that does not require testing or comparison to any industry barometer be considered superior? How can a part that does not get mag. inspected be sure there is no hydrogen embrittlement or deleterious effects from heat treatment? Are stress durability tests performed? Are fatigue tests performed? Is the under head radius cold worked? Are metallurgical tests performed? Are the processors used NADCAP accredited or have AS9100 certified quality systems?

This is like taking an aerospace material such as H-11 and putting some other made up moniker acronym on it to make it seem like there that is some voodoo unique to one company. I am sure there are good non aerospace parts, and ones that are engineered to a specific application that could be better than a random aerospace bolt in that application, but that statement is untrue.

Last edited:

jon coleman

there is ac componet specific hardware, that, if used in the wrong way on a race vehicle could be an inferior bolt to another non mil spec bolt, rarely though i bet....