• Forum membership has its advantages....

Used GPS...

Phillip Moores

Sooooo...
Thoughts and ideas welcome. Is buying a used GPS worth saving the money? This would be for recreational use not racing. I understand there are a million variables to take into account here, just looking for some insight.

Thanks

jon coleman

like getting free tv, they work or they dont.always worth it if cheaper and works.non racing i say get it.

Sooooo...
Thoughts and ideas welcome. Is buying a used GPS worth saving the money? This would be for recreational use not racing. I understand there are a million variables to take into account here, just looking for some insight.

Thanks
I do Search And Rescue, and find a $5 Garage Sale Garmin Gecko is sufficient for hiking duty, while a found-in-the-used-car's-glovebox Garmin Nuvi, updated with topographic mapping, takes care of vehicular duties. My co-drivers used a Lowrance GPS when I raced, seemed to work well.

"Geo-caching" is a quick way to learn how to use your GPS to find a spot, create a digital map of your travels, etc.

Geocaching

Don't rely on your phone's GPS or mapping.

Have fun!

jon coleman

my first foray into gps was at the 500, top of the goat trail going in circles, then came the quaker state 7 truck(aaarg, forgot drivers name, ), coming staight at us his codwg. says look!, we got that new ' gps' thing, a little hand held cell phone looking thing that gave u numbers.., so i says , 'follow him!!!!!'

esacksnav

Hi Phillip,

If you end up with a new or used GPS I recommend a touch screen version. They are much easier to use and can be used much faster and with ease. Lowrance GPS are very sturdy, but someone is most likely getting a new one because it is outdated, they want a bigger one or it had some glitch issues. Ask for specifics, also they could be good gps that need new antennas. I teach off-road navigation and gps training happy to help with any questions. check out waypointnav.co or email me at [email protected]

Hope this helped,
Erica Sacks

dan200

#BSF200
Hi Phillip,

If you end up with a new or used GPS I recommend a touch screen version. They are much easier to use and can be used much faster and with ease. Lowrance GPS are very sturdy, but someone is most likely getting a new one because it is outdated, they want a bigger one or it had some glitch issues. Ask for specifics, also they could be good gps that need new antennas. I teach off-road navigation and gps training happy to help with any questions. check out waypointnav.co or email me at [email protected]

Hope this helped,
Erica Sacks
Are you ever gonna come to AZ and do one of your classes?