user titles

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
The user titles used on rdc are based on posts (Unless we enter a custom title). The more you post the higher your title. When we put the system in place we left it pretty much at the default setting. I am getting a bit tired of it and call for you guys to come up with a new system. Perhaps something race related.

0-24 stranger
25-49 newbie
50-99 journeman
100-199 memeber
200-399 enthusiast
400-799 addict
800-1199 overal post leader
1200-1599 resident
1600-2499 Poo-Bah
2500 Carpal Tunnel

ntsqd

Reaction
I like the post breaks, but I'm drawing a blank on the labels for each. Sorry.
How about something totally irreverent ? Stuff like 0-24 = "Rancho Shocked"; 25-49 = "Solex Carb"; 400-799 = "Harvey Wallbanger"; etc.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
How about if a person is with a certain "race team" or "business", then they have that listed. Or if someone is a "spectator" then they have that listed, nothing silly just a real title. I do not think the number of posts someone has should be the factor. It would help to know who people are. I also think that it should be mandatory to have full real names and ages listed in the profiles as well. This would keep the posts more reliable and valuable. I believe people would be less likely to talk [censored] and post dumb comments if everyone knew who they were.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
A general off road knowledge test determines your title. Races, racers, trucks, classes, fabrication, engineering, materials, tools, etc... Take the test and based on your score you get a title.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Kritter,

Like what kind of questions ?

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Kritter,

Like what kind of questions ?
Examples

AP255

Reaction
How about what is the difference between BFG and Goodyear?

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
a: the podium

oouch

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
BFG is smart enough to not pay the Ironman what his greedy asss wants. I know I can come up with some engineering questions. I am sure Tony B can come up with a lot of general desert race questions. Dave G can come up with Material questions. Donahoe can come up with chassis questions. I am sure a lot of other people can contribute.

Examples:

What is a normal stress?

What does it mean when something is in "double shear"?

What is advantageous or disadvantageous of something in doubleshear?

Approximately how many threads of a nut take the load?

How many times should a nut be reused?

When fastening a bolt should the bolt be turned or should the nut be turned?

What is a proof load?

What does the last 2 numbers of a steel grade represent (1020, 4340, 4130 steel...what does the 20, 40, 30 represent)?

What is a factor of safety?

What is a design factor?

What is a stress riser?

Where would you want stress risers?

How tight should a bolt be tightened in a reusable joint with regards to its proof strength?

Why dont people hire engineers to do design work on a computer in desert racing instead of trial and error with material on the shop floor?

I can come up with some more but I am trying to keep things simple and relative to off road.

Kris

Mike_McCluskey

Reaction
Too much work for a dumb title! Just make them stupid like these, it's all for fun anyway.
Pro Spectator
Nobody Important
Bench Racer
Know It All
Beerman(Reserved for Steve S.)
Poor Boy
Wannabe Racer
Peter PreRunner
Chevy Chaser

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Kritter-Thats the stupidest idea i've ever heard of. That means our user titles will be based on a test. Why not do away with them all together. There are those of us who are constantly RACING something or another all the time and don't have time to study for a frikken test. I could care less about some useless title when all this board is suppose to be about is dezert racing and related items. Not how much you remember from your engineering class. Your title should be number 4 of Mike's post. sorry-no offense but i haven't had coffee yet!!!

<font color=red>"Quality has no fear of Time"</font color=red>

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
all your test would prove is if you fabricate or not, so there would only be two titles, fabricator and not one. If you did have a test you should have a wide range of questions so you couls have a wide range of titles. questions as simple as what is a by-pass shock or who is Ivan Stewart to more difficult like who won the '99 baja 500 overall or what does DOM stand for?

But I disagree with a test, why dont you just let us choose our title?

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
I'm trying to keep from going off on a Tangent but there's a difference between a fabricator, and one who is booksmart. Don't get me wrong, there are both. But i've been doing fabrication and in the business for many years and written test would not demonstrate my ability to fabricate.
Just keep it the same Klaus. Why try to fix something that works fine. AGAIN

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I don't fabricate and I dont claim to fabricate, I design. Klaus asked for it...dont jump on my case.

Kris

Tom_Willis

Reaction
ok, here's my sample questions: (1) how far is it from Slash X to an ATM machine? (2) what is the maximum speed the offramp at Hodge road can be negotiated in pouring rain? (3) how late can you get a pizza on a Friday night in Lucerne? (4) how far can two drunken men push an F-150 in a sand wash during the middle of the day in June before they will try to kill each other? (5) is it considered "rude" to run a quad through another team's campfire? (6) when is a flat tire "flat"? (7) how much dirt can a piece of steak contain and still be eaten? (8) what part of the male anatomy do pit crews expose to the last race vehicle on the track?

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
lmfao. im pretty sure the above is something all of us can relate to in one way or another.

victor fabian
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stuck-throttle.com>www.stuck-throttle.com</A>
CARCO RACING 5-1600

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
OK now were talkin bout a test I might have a shot at...LMAO

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I like your idea, just make them funny and I also think people should be able to choose their own username. Rather then having the select few who get to have their username whatever they want, either have everyone choose their own, or have everyone go by the current scale but change the names.

You could have a group of say 10 that are "serious" (Racer, Fabricator, Chaser, etc etc) then a group of 10 that are just for laughs (Pavement Pounder, Disco King, Ghetto Fabber, TT Wannabe etc etc.)

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
AlwaysRCN, don't worry, won't change a thing...I just wanted your input on other then default "out of the box" titles...something funny and more desert racing related.

The test is something Kritter brought up and I couldn't resist to ask what he had in mind. A test won't affect your titles. A test might be used to give away prizes. I have seen that on some other (different subject) webpage. The sponsor donates something and every month you can win it. To qualify you must answer 3 questions. But you have one month of time to find the answers and the q's are relatively easy.

Tom Willis had some funny q's...

havahockey,we set custom names for people that we either know or some of the frequent visitors have demonstrated a certain strength or weakness that we start teasing them with it. Kind of like nicknames. Yes it is unfair as we don't know everyone....it's our little playground and meant to be entertaining to you guys.