Uses of a race radio

Jack

Reaction
If you get a ham radio and modify it for race frequencies, then you can get a licience, and use it ant time with repeaters and talk to lots of people, or just your buddies that do the same. I use them on all my off road trips, works alot better then CB and without all the noise. Just get your liciences, it is very easy.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
You can monitor a lot of local services...cops, fire dept, etc... you can pick up a list of freq from a radioshack or anyplace that sells radios. I know in vegas we were helping out a team that was on the LVPD channel so we didnt say much at all but when somebdoy did the cops walked all over them.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

martininsocal

Reaction
Kris- that should end soon. The federal gov't is opening up some high band stuff for emergency services(800 and 900 range) and I believe that unless you already have an old scanner with those bands in them, you won't be able to hear the cops anymore...

If your gonna go, go BIG

bajaboy

Reaction
Ham radios are alot more practical and fun . Your starting to hear less from fire and police on the Hams, I think they are using some type of digital system now . One bad thing about hams is they are not as tough as the race radios , even though some are designed to be mobile units. I have a Kenwood that lasted one season , it only cost about $130 .

Bajaboy

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Baja you mean "on the go" programmable Hams...right? A race radios is a Ham radio but most are preprogramed and have a specific preprogrammed freq for each channel....I dont know how many times somebody has gotten in my truck and said..."nice CB" if they only knew the thing cost 8 or more times as much! If you are not using the radio in a race car then the programmable radios are the way to go becuase you can change the freq or scan all the freq's that you are monitoring for under $200 whereas a race radio will cost you twice that and you wont be able to dial it into what freq you want...only what you had programmed.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>