Using Toyota 8 inch axle for racing - questions

rebel33

Can you guys share experience of using Toyota 8 inch diff's and 31 spline axles for full racing truck applications? are there examples of such successful race efforts? in what classes?

what vehicle weight, power and wheel size are reasonable for such an axle?

The reason I'm asking is that in Israel, where I live and try to build race trucks, toy 8 inch out of various pickups and land cruiser 90 and 120 SUV's are plentiful; they are the only easily available removable third-member axles. Ford 9" are non-existent. The common axle we use is a D60 or 70 which are plentiful but extremely heavy and don't lend themselves to building nice race axles.

rebel33

Excuse me guys, am I to understand that 8" toyota rear ends are not used for desert racing?

Jeepspeedster

we used a 8" toyota on our 7s 2wd truck with success. our truck weighted 2600 Ibs. Stay below 4:88 gear ratio and it will last. Ours and all that i know of are 29 spline so a 31 is even better. I agree with ford 9" being too heavy>
good luck

my 8" never let me down. i didnt race the truck but it deffinetly got the I failed spelling beat out of it every weekend!!

rebel33

we used a 8" toyota on our 7s 2wd truck with success. our truck weighted 2600 Ibs. Stay below 4:88 gear ratio and it will last. Ours and all that i know of are 29 spline so a 31 is even better. I agree with ford 9" being too heavy>
good luck
My mistake, It's a 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shaft. I believe they are the same as what you have.

Can I ask for some more details about your truck, what wheel size and approximate horsepower?

Can such an axle (possibly built as a floater with after market axle shafts) hold a 33 or a 35" tire with 300-350 HP under a 2WD truck weighing 2500-2600 lbs?

Thanks guys for all help, appreciate it!

California MiniTruck

I would not put all the time and work into a Toyota rear axle assy if your going to be running that much horse power. The Toyota rear ends work great but like Jeepspeed said do not go above 488 gear ratio if you do use it. The pinion will be way to small and you will burn through gears if you run a 502 all the time. I am using a rear axle assy out of a T100 but im only going to run 488 so I can only go up to a 33" tire. In the long run you might want to look around and see if you can order used ford 9" from from some where in the US. You should be able to find whole used one in the US for some where around 350.00 to 500.00, shipping on the other hand might get out of control. I have a contact in Dubai Egypt that might be able to help you out, he has a "dismantling yard" there that I ship to some times. I could possibly get you his info if interested.

Toyota axles are pretty tough. Pre '86 axles are smaller tube diameter and not as wide as '86 and after axles. An '86 axle is about 3" in diameter but still uses the same third member as the '85's. LC Engineering has axle gussets pretty cheap and should not be too bad in shipping. You could also set up a four link suspension with DOM tubing supports welded to the axle for the upper links.

Good Luck...

Ken

Hey Matt - Nice Toyota

Did you modify the motor or is it stock?
back then the motor was stock 22r with just a header and a 32/36 carb.

that truck got wadded and cut up........the motor/trans went into the next truck that i built. when i swapped it i did a .030 over basically stock bottom end rebuild with new pistons. i had the head/intake heavily ported and beefed up with titainium valves, dual rate valve springs, and a huge cam. i also put a 38/38 weber on it. motor ran really good for what it was. dependability was what i was after, not major power. she would do 6k rpm all day every day and allways got me to the finish line.

this is truck#2......but shes also long gone too. :(

Yet again, another nice Toyota. That's exactly what I'm doing with an '86 except I'll probably keep the EFI although, I'm not opposed to getting a Weber setup like you mentioned.

Thanks...

Ken

FCORR

I ran a Toyota 8" for a while under my truck. It lasted a long time, and a couple desert races before finally blowing up the 4.88 gears. At that time I switched to a Ford 9", we ran this in a leaf sprung Toyota pickup with a stock 22RE. If I had a lot of power I would try and steer away from the 8" otherwise in a lower HP application it would hold up fine.

Jkrell

I had a lot of success with the toyota 8", it is a good rear end if you don't put too much power through it. Like has been said don't go over 4:88 gears. I would also recommend some type of truss at the outer flange, i broke one off there. I cut a piece of tube in half (large diameter, 3" i think), clam shelled it over the axle tube and outer flange and plug welded it to the housing... held up great. I ran 33" a/t tires, raced the truck a few times, and had a lot of desert trips on it.

California MiniTruck

I had a lot of success with the toyota 8", it is a good rear end if you don't put too much power through it. Like has been said don't go over 4:88 gears. I would also recommend some type of truss at the outer flange, i broke one off there. I cut a piece of tube in half (large diameter, 3" i think), clam shelled it over the axle tube and outer flange and plug welded it to the housing... held up great. I ran 33" a/t tires, raced the truck a few times, and had a lot of desert trips on it.

Nice looking truck! Have you hurd from Dan at Duffco lately? I haven't hurd from him in years, he is good people.

MNGSX

The rear axle from a toyota FZJ80 (not Fj80) is a full floater. It would be a great place to start if you want to keep mr T axles. Of the available ratios 4.88:1 is pretty much spot on for 35-37" tires. I am going to truss my front and rear. The front will have the birfield ball braces.

Jkrell

Nice looking truck! Have you hurd from Dan at Duffco lately? I haven't hurd from him in years, he is good people.
Duffco dan is indeed good people...I hang out with him all time...actually, just drank a cooler of beer with him at the MORE night race last weekend. Duffco is no more, but dan is still very much a race fan/racer.